Thanks Thanks:  439
Likes Likes:  934
Dislikes Dislikes:  20
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    On 10 March 2014, the Minister for Defence reviewed the troops of the 44th Infantry Group in Stepehns Barracks, Kilkenny prior to their departure for service with UNDOF in Syria.

2. Thanks sofa, Turkey, RoyalGreenJacket thanked for this post
    Likes RoyalGreenJacket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The CO and 2 I/C of that Trip are 2 excellent lads. I would put my faith in both of them.

At 1.20 mins or so- during the march past, a creche of Officers march by the Minister and hand salute- directly behind them and before the main body of Soldiers is 2 lads wihtout Steyrs- who just give the eyes right. I take it that they are the BSM and BQ-

In my day (oh how I have longed to say that) the BSM and the BQ gave a hand salute on the eyes right. Have things changed or is this just a local arrangement.

Best of luck to the lads going out and lets hope every one of them come back with only tans, memories and mingies.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

4. Likes Turkey, ropebag liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of questions please...

1. Do Officers have bigger cap badges...the Captains looks huge.

2. What is that tune being played by the band? Sounds familiar.

Mixed bunch there...Army...Air Corps...Military Police.

Best wishes to them all.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post

Yes. They are bigger.

7. Thanks spider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garyowen is one of the tunes.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

9. Thanks spider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Garyowen is one of the tunes.
    Also Known as St Patricks day, but I suspect the poster may have known that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJskH_AWv4

11. Thanks spider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my day (oh how I have longed to say that) the BSM and the BQ gave a hand salute on the eyes right
    Given they are enlisted and there fore troops under command once the officers haven given the salute there is no requirement for any others to do anything other than eyes right.

That would be my interpretation of it although would have to say I'm not overly familiar with the grades and what is appropriate.
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Also Known as St Patricks day, but I suspect the poster may have known that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJskH_AWv4
    I didn't...couldn't place it...I thought it was a tune played by the British Military...hence my question.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like

2. What is that tune being played by the band? Sounds familiar.

Mixed bunch there...Army...Air Corps...Military Police.

Best wishes to them all.
    Plus ARW

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't...couldn't place it...I thought it was a tune played by the British Military...hence my question.

They use it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    They use it
    So they do.

It seems to have a rich heritage of use in the British Army.

Turns out it was the Regimental March of The Ulster Defence Regiment.

Again...I didn't know that...ye live and learn...

US Calvary use it too.

I have vague memories of a lunatic Drill Sergeant playing a cassette with that tune on it as I marched around the RUC Depot parade square...

17. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    "This St Patrick's Day morning, the 119 Irish troops deployed in the Golan Heights, Syria became the first ever Irish Defence Forces Unit to receive the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) Medal. Lt General Singha presented the UNDOF Medal to the members of the 43rd Infantry Group who were led on parade by their Commanding Officer, Lt Col Brendan Delaney from Kildare.

Following the Medal Parade, the Irish Contingent hosted an International Reception in the Irish Mess, extending a 'Céad Míle Fáilte' to all their UN colleagues. The contingent maintained its operational readiness throughout the festivities and returned to normal duties later in the day."

19. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes terrier, Flamingo, morpheus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Four IDF soldiers hurt in blast on Israel-Syria border
    Blast in area of Druze village of Majdal Shams on Golan Heights; initial investigation shows bomb detonated near IDF patrol. Netanyahu promises to 'act firmly' as IDF return fire, targeting Syrian military targets.
    read full story
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...500477,00.html

21. Thanks Battletour thanked for this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously ? We're asking what tune Garryowen is ?

Y'all mfkers need help. With thanks to Errol Flynn etc , Garry Owen or the US 7th Cav, Custer's gang and a must watch classic

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

23. Likes Shaqra, spider, Orion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two men identified by reconnaissance force crossing the border in Golan Heights killed by IDF fire.
    Yoav Zitun
    Published: 03.29.14, 00:10 / Israel News
    Two suspects, at least one identified as armed, were killed Friday night near the security barrier in the Golan Heights. The IDF said they were attempting to sabotage the operational infrastructure on the border: "In response, the IDF attacked the suspects."
    The suspects were identified crossing the border around 10:30 pm by a reconnaissance force of the Golani division. Relying on lessons learned in recent incidents – and more stringent rules of engagement – an arrest procedure was not attempted.
    The IDF used precision fire to hit the two suspects.
    Read more
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...504398,00.html

25. Thanks Battletour thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Irish troops return from Golan Heights

Private Lambe met his new daughter for the first time when he arrived at Casement Aerodrome

Stacey Balfe holds four-day-old Callie ahead of Private Lambe's arrival

Families waited in the sunshine for the troops to return

89 soldiers were deployed to the Golan Heights region last September

The first contingent of Irish troops deployed to Syria has returned home.

The Defence Forces' 43rd Infantry Group arrived in Dublin this morning after a six-month tour of duty.

The 89 soldiers were deployed to the Golan Heights region last September.

There were emotional scenes this morning when the soldiers were reunited with their families in Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel.

Another contingent of 100 soldiers has replaced them in the UN mission.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0331/605...irish-troops/#

27. Thanks Turkey, RoyalGreenJacket thanked for this post
    Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome home.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

29. Likes Jack Booted Man liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch the moment a young Irish soldier meets his newborn daughter for the first time

Some 115 troops were greeted by delighted family members when they touched down at Baldonnel Aerodrome this morning

This is the happy moment a young soldier met his newborn daughter for the first time.

Overjoyed Private Derek Lambe said he was nearly brought to tears when four-day-old Callie was put into his arms.

The 23-year-old soldier from Ruthland Grove in Crumlin, South Dublin served with the 43rd Infantry Battalion deployed to the Golan Heights in war-torn Syria.

115 troops arrived home to Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel from the six-month peacekeeping mission with the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) today (Mon).

Speaking at the West Dublin airfield Pte Lambe said: "I’m just overwhelmed to be honest.

"I just came out and I’m nearly brought to tears, I didn’t think I’d be this emotional at all. I’m just so happy."

Proudly showing off his daughter Pte Lambe said: "This is Callie, myself and Stacey’s first child.

"Hopefully there will be many more to come.

"It was more tough on her than it was on me because she was the one pregnant and I wasn’t able to be there but now that I’m home we can start working on that."

Stacey said: "It’s like Christmas, it’s very emotional."

Pte Lambe wasn’t the only soldier meeting a newborn today.

Corporal John McAllister, 35, was greeted by his wife Sinead and three-month-old Sadie - the couple’s first child.

While Cpl McAllister was present when the child was born at Christmas this was the first moment he was properly able to meet the baby.

He said: "She [Sinead] is going to have to train me on how to mind her now. I’ll have to get to know her."

Cpl McAllister explained that it was his fourth overseas mission and it was by far the most difficult.

During the mission Irish troops came under fire eight times and on one occasion a wheel of an armoured personnel carrier was blown off by a roadside bomb.

Cpl McAllister said: "It’s dangerous and obviously it was in the tabloids what was happening over there.

"There is a lot of political issues and the civil war over there.

"Obviously we were impartial in the civil war so obviously we get caught up in the crossfire.

"But we’ve had no casualties so we just use our training and things like that.

"It’s a different mission from what we are used to, we have never been on something like this before.

"It’s good to get out of there, it’s good to get home."

Dad-of-four Sgt Clive Dunne was greeted in Baldonnel by his wife Lisa and daughters Zara, 5, and Leila, 3.

He surprised his daughters Shannon, 16, and Amber, 10, by walking into their classrooms in Bailieborough, Co Cavan this afternoon.

It was his fifth overseas mission - having previously served in Lebanon, Liberia, Kosovo and Chad - but he said it was the most difficult.

He explained: "It’s so good to be home, it’s stressful enough over there so it is great to be back, just enjoy yourselves, enjoy your time."

"It was tough over there. This was the most serious mission I have ever been on.

"You are dealing with gangs putting guns in your faces every day. And it’s how you deal with that situation.

"We had the most contacts [been fired on] than we have ever had."

Sgt Dunne said he was present on three of the eight occasions when shots were fired at troops.

He said: "I would advise any troops going over there just to calm down. You can’t rush anything over there."

During their six-month mission the troops were under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Brendan Delaney.

He explained that they were given a good brief before heading out and they were made aware that it was a “very volatile situation”.

He said: "We tried to mitigate all the risks out there by our training and our equipment.

"Very early on we had a number of incidents but the troops equipped themselves extremely well.

"The drills came to the fore. I’m happy the way it worked out.

"We were an impartial organisation and in many cases we were tasked with providing supports to the others that were there - the Filipinos and Fijians.

"Very often we would be called upon to deal with a situation that was quite volatile, if there was a high degree of risk.

"The weapons that we had were excellent. The incidents we had were well handled.

"It was very much a case where some incidents could have gone the other way. They were quite tense.

"It was a credit to the Irish professionalism that they were able to diffuse the situation and build up some sort of a rapport with the armed elements."

Dad-of-three Lt Col Delaney, who lives in Naas, Co Kildare, was greeted at Baldonnel by his family this morning.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish...-irish-3304213

There is more video's on the link which cant be embedded on here.

31. Likes Jack Booted Man, HavocIRL liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Irish troops return home from their six-month tour of duty in Syria

A couple even got to meet their newborns for the first time.

CLOSE TO 100 Irish soldiers returned home this morning after a six month tour of duty in the Syria.

The Defence Forces 43rd Infantry Group were deployed to the region in the midst of the Civil War to monitor the Golan Heights region, ensuring a ceasefire was maintained between Syria and Israel and to “supervise the disengagement” between the two sides.

It was the first tour of duty for 38 of the 89 soldiers returning home today, and for one, Private Derek Lamb, his partner Stacey Balfe was waiting with his 4-day-old son at Casement Aerodrome.

Another solider, Corporal John McAllister, met his daughter for just the second time since she was born.

Irish troops came under fire several times during their six-month stay in the Golan Heights, with one solider being injured.

The Group’s Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Brendan Delaney, said the soldiers knew how handle themselves in each of the situations.

“We had some very good background briefs, so we were very aware it was volatile situation,” he told reporters morning.

“We tried to mitigate the incidents with our training and equipment,” adding that well-rehearsed drills fell into place and that troops were able to response appropriately.

The Lieutenant Colonel Delaney added that “you couldn’t get away” from the conflict in the country.

“You do have concerns, you do have worries. Even on a benign mission, or pre-planned task, something can happen very very quickly”

"I was very confident with the guys we had, we had a very good crew."

The returning troops will pass on a raft of information to those who are replacing them and who flew out last night.

The 89 soldiers who returned were from 19 different counties, with the youngest being 21 and the oldest 58.

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-troop...90851-Mar2014/

33. Thanks Jack Booted Man thanked for this post
    Likes HavocIRL, terrier liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great bit of coverage today for the return of the lads ( thanks to Rhodes for the links, Indo have a nice vid and the RTE piece was good too) . I know a lot of the troops and the officers, they did a great job in difficult circumstances, have set a high bar for the rest of us and deserved the good press they got when they got home .

As an aside, great to see Bal being used for the rotation , would be nice to see more and more flights through there, pity they had to drag the lads from the Bluftwaffe in so early on a Monday morning , flight was due in about ten ! ( only joking, well done all and good luck to the 44th) .

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Members of the 43rd Infantry Group return from service with the United Nations in Syria to a warm welcome from Family, Friends and loved ones in Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel."

36. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, DeV, Turkey liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a few horror stories from the df in Syria doing the rounds in the dftc has any one else heard them in the other brigades

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    There is a few horror stories from the df in Syria doing the rounds in the dftc has any one else heard them in the other brigades
    Like what?

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The situation opposite the line of control looks like it might change radically.
    The status up to now on this Southern front has been slow steady rebel advance with most of line of control in Rebel hands
    Now the Government has launched a Major counteroffensive, rebel infighting is breaking out and Jordan was closed border and maybe about to stab the rebels in back.

IF Phase one of the Government Offensive is successful the rebels opposite the UNDOF LIne will find themselves in an enclave cut off form the others and Jordan
    No supply line, no line of retreat with their backs to Israel and UNDOF.

40. Thanks DeV, Flamingo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Problem in Ireland is we have never experienced a real war because we are tucked in behind a county with a big military.
    Unlike other small counties across Europe who have being invaded many times down the decades we live in a false sense of security.
    Very well put Sofa.
    We travel not for trafficking alone,
    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

42. Thanks sofa thanked for this post

Thread Information