No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was there no engineer variant purchased with mine detection devices like the strykers M1132 Engineer Squad Vehicle. Or did Mowag not produce such a variant.

Comment

• Irish officer to take deputy lead of UN Golan Heights mission

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
        Irish officer to take deputy lead of UN Golan Heights mission

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...sion-1.1916908
        That was inevitable.. I'm surprised an Irish Officer hasn't been offered top job........Yet..

Comment

• From the article Rhodes linked:

“The higher UN echelon as well as the Indian Army agrees with me that the decision was correct. It is an act of cowardice to desert posts especially when a delicate ceasefire was in place, They broke the chain of command and UN orders.”
          So they should've surrendered instead?

Some boyo.

Comment

• Well it seems like logic goes out the window when you're trying to save your career.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Hearing about "The higher UN echelon" that apparently agrees with this guy, reminded me of this in interview with a Canadian, who recounts his experience of working in military intelligence with the UN, back in Bosnia during the 90's.

The whole thing is worth listening to and still resonates - from 29 minutes on, he discusses Srebrenica and how the UN hierarchy looked the other way when the guys on the ground warned them about what was going to happen - when tough choices needed to be made, and weren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                ...Some boyo.
                the mans an idiot - the policy he set (play nice) has very obviously not worked, as 40-odd Fijians tied to radiators in Syria could tell you. to compound this by having a go at the Philipino's for firstly putting up a fight and then legging it when the situation became untenable (particularly when such was complying with a direct national order) is just dumb as pork.

hole. digging. stop.

if he'd shut up most people would assume the original 'surrender to Al Qiada and it'll turn out ok..' order had come from the knicker-sniffers in New York, but he's saying it was his order, and he's upset that people chose not to commit suicide, i mean follow it.

using the 'cowardice' word is not going to go down well in the Philipines, they are going to go mental...

ante room, mess webley, and a moment to consider my options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tempest View Post
                  Mistake to de-comission the AML90's without a replacement. They make people think twice.
                  Their IED survivability compared to the Mowag however would make crewing one an even bigger mistake. This conflict is nowhere for an underpowered 70 year old AFV design.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                    From the article Rhodes linked:

“The higher UN echelon as well as the Indian Army agrees with me that the decision was correct. It is an act of cowardice to desert posts especially when a delicate ceasefire was in place, They broke the chain of command and UN orders.”
                    So they should've surrendered instead?
                    Do not expect the UN to support the Troops. They will not. Unless things are quiet and going well, then they will print pretty colour magazines with 2 pages on what the Troops are doing, and 30 pages of pictures of diplomats, politicians, generals and other VIPs in meetings, ceremonies and cocktails.

The UN is a self-licking ice-cream cone.
                    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                      The UN is a self-licking ice-cream cone.

I'm stealing this.
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Agreed.. MRV and Carl from Sweden.

Both AT 4 and CG 84.. might as well thrown in Milan as well..

Can never have enough 'reach out and' touch missiles.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• MILAN is well gone, Javelin has further reach

Comment

• I think and I could be wrong, but I think THE IRISH CONTINGENT HAVE COMPANY LEVEL WEAPONS is over there.

MOD: As I said earlier lets keep it vague.Last warning to all posters.You don't know who is reading this.Lets not give them anything
                            Last edited by apod; 4 September 2014, 20:58.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                              I'm stealing this.
                              so am I.....
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                No, if this was an AML 90s Vs IED incident we'd have had three dead crew.

MRV would be the preferred weapon of choice there at the moment.
                                Wasn't referring to the video HTP, just meant that if the Irish in UNDOF rocked up with a couple of AML90's to assist the Phillipinos, or come head to head with the insurgents anywhere in the AO, they'd take more notice.

Comment

Working...
                                X