Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=BANDIT;399658]
    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Another poster mentioned the UN ordering a unit to surrender , The example of the UN and the Dutch etc it is not a very reassuring scenario when troops are going to such a volatile area.
    That was me; the rant is not mine though...

The 90s were a disaster for UN PK ops; things have changed dramatically since. Look at the following doc to see contributing nations in those OPS now:

Ranking of Military and Police
    Contributions to UN Operations

It's obvious that Western countries have given up on large UN PK OPS.
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• No point in risking them being used to blow something up I suppose...
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
        No point in risking them being used to blow something up I suppose...
        The risk of blowing up is not a show stopper; restrictive ROEs, lack of support and intestinal fortitude are.
        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
          The 90s were a disaster for UN PK ops; things have changed dramatically since. Look at the following doc to see contributing nations in those OPS now:

It's obvious that Western countries have given up on large UN PK OPS.
          Originally posted by Jungle View Post
          The risk of blowing up is not a show stopper; restrictive ROEs, lack of support and intestinal fortitude are.

Yes, in most cases they have stopped intervening altogether!

The UNSC currently are:
          China - 1782 troops & police - 16th
          France - 954 troops & police - 25th
          Russian Federation - 100 troops & police - 63rd
          United Kingdom - 282 troops & police - 44th
          United States - 101 troops & police - 62nd
          Argentina - 866 troops & police - 28th
          Australia - 58 troops & police - 73rd
          Azerbaijan - None
          Guatemala - 303 troops & police - 42nd
          Luxembourg - None
          Morocco - 1586 troops & police - 18th
          Pakistan - 8230 troops & police - 1st
          Republic of Korea - 615 troops & police - 31st
          Rwanda - 4686 troops & police - 5th
          Togo - 709 troops & police - 29th

These are the countries that are currently responsible for setting up UN missions or giving mandates to regional organisations.

The first 5 are the Permanent members so they are always there, so they have been involved in setting up EVERY UN mission yet they will not provide troops.

If a new mission was established tomorrow to say Syria, it is the countries in the list above that create the restrictive ROE, fail to provide support etc.

There are 15 countries there, there is actually UN missions in 2 of those countries and one of them is the biggest contributor! Guess what it isn't a Western country.

Comment

• Conflicting reports emerged of recent chemical weapons use in Syria. This comes on the same day that the UN inspectors arrive in Damascus to investigate allegations of use of toxic arms. The casualty figures range from dozens to almost 1,300 deaths.

(Reuters) - Syrian activists accused President Bashar al-Assad's forces of launching a gas attack that killed more than 200 people on Wednesday, in what would, if confirmed, be by far the worst reported use of chemical arms in the two-year-old civil war.

Images, including some taken by photographers working for Reuters, showed scores of bodies including of small children, laid out on the floor of a medical clinic with no visible signs of injuries. Reuters was not independently able to verify the cause of their death.

Syrian state television denied government forces had used poison gas and said the accusations were intended to distract a team of United Nations chemical weapons experts which arrived three days ago.

Comment

• Link is to pictures from the attack including dead children so NSFW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmigs View Post
                http://www.therevoltingsyrian.com/po...re-of-damascus

Link is to pictures from the attack including dead children so NSFW.
                There is something very odd about this. Why would the Syrian Government carry out a chemical attack just a few days after they let UN chemical weapons inspectors into the country? They have nothing to gain from such an attack but everything to lose. My suspicions would say the 'Free Syrian Army' carried out this attack, blaming it on the Government in order to try and get western support now that the UN inspectors are in town.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                  There is something very odd about this. Why would the Syrian Government carry out a chemical attack just a few days after they let UN chemical weapons inspectors into the country? They have nothing to gain from such an attack but everything to lose. My suspicions would say the 'Free Syrian Army' carried out this attack, blaming it on the Government in order to try and get western support now that the UN inspectors are in town.
                  The problem is no one knows and there are lots of possibilities and combinations , Free syrian army, factions within and with out, the Syrian army, factions within and without, Israel, etc and now we are sending out troops to an environment such as this ?? Madness

Comment

• Al Jazerra have excellent interactive maps on Syria. Good background info.

Al Jazeera examines the military and political opposition groups trying to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

Comment

• Interesting interview from a retire US Naval Officer this morning where he reckons that the use of poisin gas, possibly Sarin, in this case is probably more humane than other forms of warfare that would have killed these people anyway.

he reckons Poison Gas will not fall under WMD classification due to its tactical use and thus response will be probably be limited.

Another guy reckons maximum reaction will be a couple of cruise missiles from the Yanks.

This thaing has grown a few arms that no one is happy about, The 'Free Army' are being propped up by Saudi, but are not in a position to make big enough gains to win outright so they've fallen in with Al Queeda, who are being backed by Iran, but Irans new president and the Saudis are friendly so Iran will be told to butt out.

NATO etc, will now give up on the Free Army as they certainly don't want to propping up friends of Al Queeda. The Russians and Cinese who are propping up the president as they don't give a shit about anyone, so its not going to end anytime soon, and everybody turning up on the borders to take a peek will be shitting themselves in case they area caught in a Sarin attack.

'Fraid this one is going to have to sort itself out.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        This thaing has grown a few arms that no one is happy about, The 'Free Army' are being propped up by Saudi, but are not in a position to make big enough gains to win outright so they've fallen in with Al Queeda, who are being backed by Iran, but Irans new president and the Saudis are friendly so Iran will be told to butt out.
                        The two main states backing the Free Syrian Army/Al-Qaeda are Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Iran is most certainly not supporting Al-Qaeda or any of its factions.

Last week the retiring head of the CIA said the current biggest threat to US security would be the Syrian government falling and Syria becoming an Al-Qaeda Islamist state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                          The two main states backing the Free Syrian Army/Al-Qaeda are Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Iran is most certainly not supporting Al-Qaeda or any of its factions.

Last week the retiring head of the CIA said the current biggest threat to US security would be the Syrian government falling and Syria becoming an Al-Qaeda Islamist state.
                          And we are sending our troops there? Its not worth one drop of Irish soldiers blood. By all meANS let the US, Brits, French, China, Russia SEND THEIR SOLDIERS they created Syria and some maintained it.
                          I really will be pissed off if I hear a news report of irish troops being killed or injured . I always remember the first casulties in the Leb , Guys I knew , For what
                          HH i NEED YOUR KEYBOARD ELEQUENCE ON THIS.

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                            And we are sending our troops there? Its not worth one drop of Irish soldiers blood. By all meANS let the US, Brits, French, China, Russia SEND THEIR SOLDIERS they created Syria and some maintained it.
                            I really will be pissed off if I hear a news report of irish troops being killed or injured . I always remember the first casulties in the Leb , Guys I knew , For what
                            HH i NEED YOUR KEYBOARD ELEQUENCE ON THIS.
                            The five permanent members of the UN Security Council cant be part of UNDOF. Russia offered troops to replace the Austrians, arguing that when UNDOF was established it was the USSR that was a permanent member and not the Russian Federation but the offer was turned down.

Comment

• Irish Mercenaries Training Syrian Death Squads!!

In its weekend supplement devoted to geopolitics French daily Le Monde published 8 March, 2013 a report entitled “Syrie : à Atmé, entre révolution et désenchantement” – “Syria: Atme, between revolution and disenchantment”- Christophe Ayad, a regular embedded journalist with NATO’s mercenary forces in Syria, reports on the mixture of despair and chaos that reigns …

Some of the crap thats out there, which could cause the Irish to be targeted.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

• Iran is most certainly not supporting Al-Qaeda or any of its factions

Read whats I've written not what you think you see.The Free Army is being supported by Iran via Saudi, Al Queeda are the third force using the situation via the Free Army to establish a foothold .The new Iranian president is friendly with the Saudis, and the Saudis don't want to be seen to be allied with anything that Al Queeda would benifit from even if the relation ship is remote.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X