No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please excuse my ignorance but does anyone if this is to be an armed mission or not, talk in the company office on Friday was that it is going to be unarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
      Please excuse my ignorance but does anyone if this is to be an armed mission or not, talk in the company office on Friday was that it is going to be unarmed.
      Its an armed mission.

Comment

The UNMOs would be unarmed and the FMR armed.

Comment

It's armed.UNTSO the other mission in that AO is unarmed.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Cheers lads

Comment

Lads, I've applied to serve with the 43rd. Apparently first chalk is to depart 12th september, that gives 49 days till departure. Rumour is the form up is due to start on monday next. In typical defence forces fashion confirmed information is non existent and the list for whose applications were selected still hasn't been published.

Comment

and this suprises you

Comment

Well lads, got a phone call at 16:20 on Friday 26th to inform me I had been selected for UNDOF, form up starting Monday 29th. We were chatting today and its like the government/defence forces jumped on this one before anybody else could volunteer their forces. Apart from the fact that we are due to be the BMR there is literally no futher information about the tour. No one we spoke too can even confirm where we are to be based or how we are supposed to get there, all rumour and hearsay as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                    That's on Mount Hermon so there is no roads.
                    I have copied and pasted an article from an Isareli blogspot below There are many similar contributions not only from Israelis but from a wide range of people who question the usefullness of the entire UNDOF, UNIFIL etc. Since I read about Irish troops heading there I have been watching out for articles etc. Over the years I have worked in Israel, West Bank, Gaza, Lenannon, and also several short trips to Jordan ( not with NGOs I hasten to add) and have often tried to make sense of a very complex environment where concepts of statehood and nation are much less important than religion, sect, family etc. I have also seen the UN BS and the vested interest in Jerusalem and New York , along the India/ Pakistan border, the DRC and witnessed the feeding from the trough, the fancy uniforms, the pomposity , the uselessness , and understand why Isrealis in particular are dismissive of it.
                    To be honest I think the decision to join UNDOF is at the very least ill advised , i foresee more hostage , kidnappings etc a lack of direction from people who at the nearest will be based in Jerusalem,
                    I sincerely hope I am proved wrong but I really think this is a BS mission of the highest order. and no before anyome asks I did not serve in UNIFIL..

) Fiji rescues UNDOF

With the Syrian civil war moving closer to Israel, Austria has withdrawn its contingent of peacekeepers from the UNDOF.

Job Opportunity: Peacekeepers Wanted bit.ly/18ie3ra
                    — MediaBackspin (@MediaBackspin) June 9, 2013

Not to worry, Fiji is slated to pick up the slack.
                    the military from the island country of Fiji who will replace the Austrian peacekeepers on the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) stationed on the Golan Heights.

The contingent will be made up of 300 soldiers representing one-twelfth of the Fijan armed forces.
                    Fiji has been involved in a peacekeeping role before. In 1996, Charles Krauthammer wrote about what Fiji's earlier involvement in peacekeeping meant:
                    The Fijians episode is only the most recent demonstration of the uselessness of the U.N.'s acting on its own as peacemaker. The most dramatic and tragic demonstration of this truth occurred not in Lebanon, nor even Bosnia, but Rwanda, from which the U.N. withdrew last April after ignominiously standing by while the worst mass murder since World War II occurred right before its eyes.

These operations are a direct consequence of the grandiosity of a U.N. apparatus that refuses to acknowledge its unsuitability to any kind of active warfare, its dearth of military expertise, its abject lack of independence, and its fractured command and troop structure. It is a disgrace that these forces are deployed around the world in places where they do more harm than good.

An expensive disgrace. It costs the U.N. about $ 130 million a year to keep UNIFIL going. It has cost more than $ 2.5 billion since 1978. Why not withdraw the troops and give the money directly to war victims on both sides of the Israel-Lebanon frontier for reconstruction and compensation? And let the good Fijians go home.
                    What's true for UNIFIL, where the UN's soldiers did nothing to protect Israel is equally true for UNDOF. If the UNDOF troops served any purpose they wouldn't be running at the first sign of trouble! In recent weeks rebels have kidnapped UNDOF peacekeepers and they've been the target of occasional gunfire. And of course the peacekeepers are doing nothing even as Syrian rebels threaten to "liberate" the Golan.

They'd rather run than fight.

Comment

A slanted viewpoint that shows no knowledge of the mandates of either force or their ROE's.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        A slanted viewpoint that shows no knowledge of the mandates of either force or their ROE's.
                        I agree re the slanted viewpoint from the Israeli viewpoint what would u expect? but there is an element of truth in the general peformance of UN mission as the opinion expressed.
                        just look at some of the UN disasters in often far less complex areas . I am not saying in any way that is due entirely and not often due at all to the guys on the ground. I realyy hope I am proved wrong but i still think it is a political mess , with no politcal endgame so troops should not be involved unless there is a clear political strategy . To compond teh situation there are weel armed experienced and tarined operatives on all sides

Comment

I agree with Bandit on this, the UN is a shite toothless corrupt organisation, it's respected and feared by no one in equal measures. However saying that I can understand why our lads are raring to get out there, hell I would love to go myself.

It's easy for politicians and senior Officers to display a yes we can do it attitude, while both reap the rewards in terms of publicity and career advancement, it's easy for fat old men to send brave young men and women into harms way, UNDOF isnt a humatrian mission, it is a shite mission that simply protects a line on a map that will no doubt be negotiated, do we really want to risk Irish men and women for a temporary poxy line on a map drawn up by a shite, toothless corrupt organisation.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
                            Well lads, got a phone call at 16:20 on Friday 26th to inform me I had been selected for UNDOF, form up starting Monday 29th. We were chatting today and its like the government/defence forces jumped on this one before anybody else could volunteer their forces. Apart from the fact that we are due to be the BMR there is literally no futher information about the tour. No one we spoke too can even confirm where we are to be based or how we are supposed to get there, all rumour and hearsay as usual
                            First of all, the UN requested Irish participation
                            Second, you are going as FMR

The UN requested deployment by 1 September.

I'd say chances are the Irish will be based at Camp Faouar on the Syrian side where FHQ Coy (FMR) was based.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              First of all, the UN requested Irish participation
                              Second, you are going as FMR

The UN requested deployment by 1 September.

I'd say chances are the Irish will be based at Camp Faouar on the Syrian side where FHQ Coy (FMR) was based.
                              Your google fu is strong.

Comment

The Israelis have vested interested in the region and are one of the belligerents in the conflict that created UNDOF.

UNDOF FHQ is in the AO in the Golan (having moved from the Syrian capital), not Israel!

UNDOF has been largely successful in fulfilling its mandate during its long history.

May be if the US and EU were to put efforts into supporting UNDOF and UNIFIL in order to stop the Syrian violence spreading instead of taking sides in a civil war it would help!

Maybe if the Israelis were willing to talk instead of fight / settle people in areas that aren't there's there would be less or a need for UNDOF, UNIFIL and UNTSO.

Most missions (especially in the Middle East) are about lines on a map.

If UNDOF helps prevent Syrian violence spreading to Israel that is a good thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X