Thanks Thanks:  439
Likes Likes:  934
Dislikes Dislikes:  20
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    And one of the main aims of AQ is to destroy who?...
    the House of Saud.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ropebag, whilst I do understand that an extension might be required in due course, my point is that it is none of a politicians business . I really think that the guys working in operations and logs admin in DFHQ might have guessed that we might have to do some contingency planning to postpone the rotation and will no doubt discuss with the minster ( I actually am somewhat conflicted if it should even be a political decision).

We did it during Grapes of Wrath in the Leb and we extended a tour in KFOR for elections and I know I got an extra two weeks un-requested in another wonderful part of the world but the key term is we.....we could fundamentally misunderstand how Irish politicians work if you think this chap is doing this in the best interests of the military or to provide political cover, he is doing it for coverage and to score a political point if an extension is required he can crow it was FF's idea.

I really think as we don't tell them how to bankrupt the country they shouldn't tell us how to operationally run overseas missions.....

3. Likes Battletour, DeV, Shaqra, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm reminded of an expression I heard once "There is nothing more annoying than a nut-job with a point"...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What happened with the Fijjis
    Looking at the MAP I think they where in a post facing the Israel side .

What was they role?
    Where they armed?
    Where they taken by surpirse?

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
    ...they shouldn't tell us how to operationally run overseas missions.....
    you may as well get used to it - Ireland's, err... novel domestic political mania/debate around any defence issue means that pretty much everything about any mission, operation, exercise or soldier scratching his balls is intensly political. stuff that raises not a flicker elsewhere is open season in Ireland from what weapons they take to what colour uniforms they wear to what nationality the airlift is.

politicians point score, thats what they do - complaining about it is like complaining about dogs pissing on lamposts. if the government want to be seen as being in front of defence policy and not responding to this or that politically motivated 'helpful suggestion' from the opposition then they have to have talk about this kind of stuff first, rather than stay silent until badgered for comment by the media.

why nothing on Friday from the Taoiseach about 'an escalating situation.. fully capable.. every support.. absolute confidence..', why nothing from the DOD about 'continuous assessment.. every support.. consultation with international partners.. all options on the table.. every faith..'? if you want to look like you're trailling behind, by all means let the (utterly discredited) opposition get their statement out first.

7. Likes Shaqra, Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never heard of any political involvement in:
    - what weapons are brought (involvement with UN where a blue hatted mission)
    - what uniform is worn (not an issue since DPM (around 2001)
    - who provides airlift (it's contracted out to civvies)

In fairness to the Minister, he did praise the troops on the radio this morning (but it should have been done a few days ago), as with many Western countries now force protection is more important than the mission.

I also have a strong belief that a lot of this is for the UN benefit - if we pull out there is a strong possibility the mission with have to withdraw (the Minister said that this morning)

The "funny" bit is that we are protesting to Syria, so we are telling them to stop the rebels
    Last edited by DeV; 1st September 2014 at 13:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    If what Ive heard is true, we should be thanking Syria too for shelling rebel positions to cover the Fillipinos withdrawal back in safe hands.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

10. Likes sofa, hptmurphy liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    And just weeks ago, some were shouting for the Syrian army to be crushed. In this region, the enemy is not obvious. The man in black is not, like in the old westerns, always the bad guy..

12. Likes hptmurphy, Shaqra, Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    If what Ive heard is true, we should be thanking Syria too for shelling rebel positions to cover the Fillipinos withdrawal back in safe hands.
    I've heard Israel also lent a hand for fire support
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

14. Likes Shaqra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the same, syria shelled the area where the rebels where as the fillipinos pulled out and as they and the rest of the UN force met up and made their way towards the israeli side of the crossing, Israel took over the fire support. US was involved at some level too although ive not heard much about that yet.
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

16. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to a post I read on the Phillipine DF page(which I can't seem to find to link) on facebook, the troops were ordered to surrender by the UN commander but their own CINC told them to attempt a breakout.

If true that they disobeyed orders then were the Irish disobeying orders to assist them or was it a case of 'I told them not to but they're doing it anyway so we'll assist them any way we can'
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocIRL View Post
    According to a post I read on the Phillipine DF page(which I can't seem to find to link) on facebook, the troops were ordered to surrender by the UN commander but their own CINC told them to attempt a breakout.

If true that they disobeyed orders then were the Irish disobeying orders to assist them or was it a case of 'I told them not to but they're doing it anyway so we'll assist them any way we can'
    My understanding was that there where two Filipino positions (69 and 68 on the UN Map) under heavy attack. The Irish troops helped evacuate one (and helped evacuate some other positions not directly under attack) however, the Filopine troops extracted under the cover of darkness from the second position without any assistance from Irish troops.
    "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee." - Lady Astor....
    ''Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it'' - Winston Churchill

19. Thanks pym thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone got anything to go on about the Fijians? Couldn't think of them giving up without a fight...

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    And the Izzies.?

22. Likes Turkey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres what Ive heard, and granted maybe its wrong....
    Israelis too ... they also helped out.
    The irish extricated one unit - 69 - which was surrounded, during this mission they were fired upon and returned fire. (this is pretty normal in this AO from what we all hear)
    Over at position 68, The fillipinos fought a battle with rebels who tried to ram down the main gate, after most of a day holding off rebels, during which they were mortared etc, they extracted themselves and all weapons under cover of darkness, this was covered by syrian forces mortaring rebel positions around the UN post. They then spent 2 hours moving 2km where they were met up by a joint irish fillipino force who further extracted them back to HQ. Im not sure of the role Israel played, but they did do something, whether that was just covering the move from their side, or intel etc who knows. Good news day - bar the Fijians.

I dont know but there are comms coming from Phillipines saying that the CO ordered all units to surrender weapons etc to the rebels, but the fillipinos were ordered by their own commanders back home to under no circumstances surrender their weapons and themselves as their safety could not be guaranteed.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...surrender.html
    Maybe the Fijians followed this order and the fillipinos didnt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Million-dollar question is, in similar circumstances what would an Irish contingent do?
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Post Thanks / Like
    That's heresay

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO they absolutely wouldn't surrender their weapons.

27. Thanks Battletour thanked for this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    BBC Website

Syria conflict: Fresh clashes erupt in Golan HeightsSmoke rises from a UN base in the Golan Heights demilitarised zone (1 September 2014) The Syrian government has lost control of most of the Quneitra area to rebels led by the al-Nusra Front

Renewed fighting between rebels and government forces is being reported in the Syrian Golan Heights, where 44 UN peacekeepers were abducted last week.

Activists said heavy clashes were raging around the Quneitra crossing, which rebels seized on Wednesday.

The whereabouts of the peacekeepers from Fiji is unclear, but it is thought they are being held by an al-Qaeda-affiliated rebel group, al-Nusra Front.

Al-Nusra says they are safe, and so far no demands appear to have been made.

Seventy-two Filipino peacekeepers were also surrounded in two different areas, but they managed to escape over the weekend.

'Expel observers'

Persistent gunfire and explosions could be heard from the Israeli-occupied Golan on Monday as Syrian rebels and government forces battled for controlled of the Quneitra crossing and the village of Hamidiya.

The Reuters news agency reported that at least one Syrian army tank was involved and that rebels were moving with a few metres of a fence marking the 1974 ceasefire line.

UN observers in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights (1 September 2014) The UN is working to secure the release of the peacekeepers seized on Thursday
    The head of the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Sami Abdul Rahman, said al-Nusra appeared to want to "end once and for all the regime's presence in the area" and also to "expel the international observers".

Earlier, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon again demanded the immediate and unconditional release of the Fijian peacekeepers serving with the UN Disengagement Observer Force (Undof) seized on Thursday.

Al-Nusra published on Sunday photographs of what it said were the seized peacekeepers, along with their identification cards. It said they were "in a safe place and in good health".

The jihadist group said they were seized because the UN was "ignoring the daily shedding of Muslims' blood in Syria" and co-operating with government forces to "facilitate its movement to strike the vulnerable Muslims" in the demilitarised zone.

Map of Golan Heights
    The targeting of Undof has led to criticism from contributing nations.

The Republic of Ireland warned it would not send replacements for its 130-member armoured rapid response unit next month if Undof's firepower, command and control, and rules of engagement were not strengthened.

"I've made it very clear that I'm not going to continue to commit Irish troops to this mission unless there's a very fundamental review of how it's going to operate. Clearly this is no longer a demilitarized zone," Irish Defence Minister Simon Coveney told RTE radio.

This is not the first time Undof personnel have been detained by rebel fighters in recent years. Peacekeepers were detained in March and May of 2013 and were released safely.

Israel seized most of the Golan Heights in the closing stages of the 1967 Six-Day War, and thwarted a Syrian attempt to retake it in 1973. Both countries signed an armistice in 1974, after which Undof was put in place to monitor the demilitarised zone.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Million-dollar question is, in similar circumstances what would an Irish contingent do?
    in the wider context its one of those delightful 'theres no correct answer' questions we ask at RMAS and ACSC 'two chains of command telling you to do very different things, how do you as the senior bloke on the ground decide?'..

in the very narrow context i'd hope that no Irish Officer would surrender to a bunch of nutjobs just because the UN says 'it'll be fine..'. of course, if the Government had ordered him to surrender, now that would be an interesting little conundrum...

30. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I'm probably gonna get some backlash off this comment from people saying stuff like 'Oh its easy to say that when you're not there' or 'Thats just bravado'

But I 100 percent believe that if faced with that situation I would rather try and fight my way out than surrender. Even if ordered to do so by a superior. I would rather die in the unlikely hope of getting out and maybe taking a few with me than surrendering and having the chance of being beheaded on al-jazeera.

And shame on the UN commander for ordering a surrender.

32. Likes The real Jack, Buck liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...And shame on the UN commander for ordering a surrender.
    standard UN fayre - they are trapped in a 1970's mindset that says that the UN is the respected impartial referee that all sides accept the need for. for AN, the UN is as much the enemy as the Syrian Army or the Israeli's, but the UN can't quite get its head around that...

34. Likes sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    But this wasn't a surrender to a legitimate military organisation or national army. This was ordering troops to surrender to a RADICAL RELIGIOUS EXTREMIST group which has no qualms about beheading people for shits and giggles.

He effectively has ordered them to die.

And I hate to be pessimistic about the situation but part of me just knows that the Fijians aren't getting out of this alive.

36. Likes Buck, DeV, sofa liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...I hate to be pessimistic about the situation but part of me just knows that the Fijians aren't getting out of this alive.
    AN have issued their demands...

http://http://www.theguardian.com/wo...ji-nusra-front

1. to be taken off the UN's list of Terrorist Groups.
    2. compensation for 3 AN bearded loons shot by the UN last month in a previous attack.
    3. a Unicorn. and some muthafckin Dragons bitch...

no problem then.

38. Likes The real Jack, Tempest, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    AN have issued their demands...

http://http://www.theguardian.com/wo...ji-nusra-front

1. to be taken off the UN's list of Terrorist Groups.
    2. compensation for 3 AN bearded loons shot by the UN last month in a previous attack.
    3. a Unicorn. and some muthafckin Dragons bitch...

no problem then.
    And again me being the pessimist of this situation I'll point out that once you start giving out 'Ransoms' whether political or financial it creates a dangerous precedent where UN troops might be targeted for capture so they can be ransomed.

40. Thanks apod thanked for this post

Thread Information