No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On 10 March 2014, the Minister for Defence reviewed the troops of the 44th Infantry Group in Stepehns Barracks, Kilkenny prior to their departure for service with UNDOF in Syria.

Comment

• The CO and 2 I/C of that Trip are 2 excellent lads. I would put my faith in both of them.

At 1.20 mins or so- during the march past, a creche of Officers march by the Minister and hand salute- directly behind them and before the main body of Soldiers is 2 lads wihtout Steyrs- who just give the eyes right. I take it that they are the BSM and BQ-

In my day (oh how I have longed to say that) the BSM and the BQ gave a hand salute on the eyes right. Have things changed or is this just a local arrangement.

Best of luck to the lads going out and lets hope every one of them come back with only tans, memories and mingies.
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Couple of questions please...

1. Do Officers have bigger cap badges...the Captains looks huge.

2. What is that tune being played by the band? Sounds familiar.

Mixed bunch there...Army...Air Corps...Military Police.

Best wishes to them all.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Originally posted by spider View Post
          Couple of questions please...

Yes. They are bigger.

Comment

• Garyowen is one of the tunes.
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              Garyowen is one of the tunes.
              Also Known as St Patricks day, but I suspect the poster may have known that.
              Pipers playing the regimental quick march "St. Patrick's Day".Trooping the Colour 2009

Comment

• In my day (oh how I have longed to say that) the BSM and the BQ gave a hand salute on the eyes right
                Given they are enlisted and there fore troops under command once the officers haven given the salute there is no requirement for any others to do anything other than eyes right.

That would be my interpretation of it although would have to say I'm not overly familiar with the grades and what is appropriate.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                  Also Known as St Patricks day, but I suspect the poster may have known that.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJskH_AWv4
                  I didn't...couldn't place it...I thought it was a tune played by the British Military...hence my question.

Comment

Couple of questions please...

2. What is that tune being played by the band? Sounds familiar.

Mixed bunch there...Army...Air Corps...Military Police.

Best wishes to them all.
                    Plus ARW

Comment

I didn't...couldn't place it...I thought it was a tune played by the British Military...hence my question.

They use it

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                        They use it
                        So they do.

It seems to have a rich heritage of use in the British Army.

Turns out it was the Regimental March of The Ulster Defence Regiment.

Again...I didn't know that...ye live and learn...

US Calvary use it too.

I have vague memories of a lunatic Drill Sergeant playing a cassette with that tune on it as I marched around the RUC Depot parade square...

Comment

• "This St Patrick's Day morning, the 119 Irish troops deployed in the Golan Heights, Syria became the first ever Irish Defence Forces Unit to receive the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) Medal. Lt General Singha presented the UNDOF Medal to the members of the 43rd Infantry Group who were led on parade by their Commanding Officer, Lt Col Brendan Delaney from Kildare.

Following the Medal Parade, the Irish Contingent hosted an International Reception in the Irish Mess, extending a 'Céad Míle Fáilte' to all their UN colleagues. The contingent maintained its operational readiness throughout the festivities and returned to normal duties later in the day."

Comment

• Four IDF soldiers hurt in blast on Israel-Syria border
                            Blast in area of Druze village of Majdal Shams on Golan Heights; initial investigation shows bomb detonated near IDF patrol. Netanyahu promises to 'act firmly' as IDF return fire, targeting Syrian military targets.
                            read full story
                            Blast in area of Druze village of Majdal Shams on Golan Heights; initial investigation shows bomb detonated near IDF patrol. Netanyahu promises to 'act firmly' as IDF return fire, targeting Syrian military targets.

Comment

• Seriously ? We're asking what tune Garryowen is ?

Y'all mfkers need help. With thanks to Errol Flynn etc , Garry Owen or the US 7th Cav, Custer's gang and a must watch classic

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Two men identified by reconnaissance force crossing the border in Golan Heights killed by IDF fire.
                                Yoav Zitun
                                Published: 03.29.14, 00:10 / Israel News
                                Two suspects, at least one identified as armed, were killed Friday night near the security barrier in the Golan Heights. The IDF said they were attempting to sabotage the operational infrastructure on the border: "In response, the IDF attacked the suspects."
                                The suspects were identified crossing the border around 10:30 pm by a reconnaissance force of the Golani division. Relying on lessons learned in recent incidents – and more stringent rules of engagement – an arrest procedure was not attempted.
                                The IDF used precision fire to hit the two suspects.
                                Read more
                                Two men identified by reconnaissance force crossing the border in Golan Heights killed by IDF fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X