No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the only reason I have not moved some of these posts is that I have not got a clue where to put them, can we just steer a course a touch closer to the topic, that is not really a question.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• It seems pretty close to topic to me.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        Do you know it's probably one of the few threads where everyone of us is right. Except APOD and that's because he supports Munster.
        Apod extends his middle finger but secretly pitys hedgie for having the misfortune in life to be born in Leinster.Echo hotel.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
          Rich Boy Barrett is a little rich C%%t .Who will f%£k off to Mummy and Papa's holiday home abroad if shit ever kicks off in the county. W$%^er.
          Far more eloquent than I could ever be. Bravo, sir.
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• All very interesting and insightful comments. I have heard an awful lot of BS rumours coming out of UNDOF in the last ten months. There appears to be a conspiracy theory that the DF is covering up what is going on , which I simply do not believe. Some of the rumours alluded to here are complete nonsense and do a disservice to the men and women out there. When the first group returned , the media were all over them and seemed to be given free reign by the DF. They all confirmed five incidents of coming under fire, two to three of them at the very serious end.... all in a six month tour, not the Vietnam/Helmand experience some rumours would have us believe. I heard the lads all over the media at Christmas too and some of the questions were tough too about the operational situation. There has been talk of a ground hog this tour , no contacts yet thankfully.

We cannot keep a fight in the NCOs mess out of the papers so how we are supposed to have managed absolute cover up out there for the guts of a year is beyond me, and not credible.

As for what would more robust / realistic / wall to wall coverage bring, I have to agree with HH on this, very little positive in it. Apart from the obvious opsec implications for our capabilities and ttps being portrayed for the world to see, it would scare the bejesus out of the political horses and potentially end the UNDOF chapter in our history. Sometimes it's about doing the job not about being seen to do it .

I also tend to think that whilst there are serious operational challenges out there and it is tough risky soldiering, a handful of incidents every tour of duty is not going to have Ross Kemp banging on the door of the Press Office to get into Syria. Let us not forget in the eighties we lost two pers every rotation in the Leb for a number of years, 47 died since 1978 there and for a lot of our time there, we were shelled on a daily basis with multiple firing closes etc. I don't say this to diminish the real risks taken in UNDOF on a daily basis but to place our deployments in perspective.

I think we just need to let the lads out there get on with their jobs and give them the support they need free from the BS rumours, Derek Mooney ain't going to visit there any time soon and even if he did, joe public would still be apathetic at best. C'est la vie ....

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
              Rich Boy Barrett is a little rich C%%t .Who will f%£k off to Mummy and Papa's holiday home abroad if shit ever kicks off in the county. W$%^er.
              Steady on now, after all he's competing with the shinners for votes !

Comment

• terrier;414772]Steady on now, after all he's competing with the shinners for votes ! [/QUOTE]

That is a very good point . I take back eveything I said about the lad.
                Last edited by sofa; 18 July 2014, 22:41.

Comment

• This very topic came up on my college course, the lack of information about irish un missions and what they involve and incidents that occur.

I went to the leb with the 77 batt and we were told at platoon level at least not to send letters home that read like a "war book". The reason being not to scare or worry our family.

Most of those in my class genuinely had no idea what we did ie minesweeps, mobile patrols, manning checkpoints and op's or even providing humanitarian assistance.

The only reason the topic came up was because the lecturer had lost a relative in the leb and hadn't a clue why he was there. It was a mini mission of hers to try and educate people that irish soldiers were often in a lot more danger than the public knew or cared about.
                  Last edited by ollie; 19 July 2014, 17:22.
                  Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

• Irish Counter Improvised Explosive Device Equipment arrives in Camp Faouar

15 July, 2014 - The deployment of an Irish Counter Improvised Explosive Device (CIED) team to UNDOF marks a significant development in Force Protection measures available to the Force Commander and to UNDOF and provides UNDOF with the capability to preserve Freedom of Movement (FoM) of UNDOF personnel in their Area of Operations.

Comment

• Syria Southern front seems to gone quiet last few weeks , no more supplies for johnny reb to launch offensives?

Comment

• 5 rockets fired from Syria landed in the Golan heights - Ynet

Comment

• Philippines to repatriate UN troops in Golan, Liberia

L’AFP est une agence d’information globale, assurant une couverture rapide, complète et vérifiée des événements de l’actualité comme des thèmes qui façonnent notre quotidien. Avec un réseau de journalistes sans égal, déployé sur 151 pays, l'AFP est en outre un leader mondial de l’investigation nu...

Comment

• Interesting, Philippines supplies 331 troop out of approx. a thousand in UNDOF. That leaves Fiji, India, and Nepal as well as Ireland obviously. I wonder if the DF will be asked to wind down with UNIFIL to in order step up UNDOF.

ETA: Current strength is 1,249. Netherlands is also a contributor.
                            Last edited by Schmigs; 25 August 2014, 00:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmigs View Post
                              Interesting, Philippines supplies 331 troop out of approx. a thousand in UNDOF. That leaves Fiji, India, and Nepal as well as Ireland obviously. I wonder if the DF will be asked to wind down with UNIFIL to in order step up UNDOF.

ETA: Current strength is 1,249. Netherlands is also a contributor.
                              There would be no need to withdraw from UNIFIL if a request was received to increase the Irish contingent with UNDOF. There is only about 400 troops overseas currently so they could easily send a Mech Coy to Syria in addition to the current missions, to small a Mowag fleet would prevent anything larger, no shortage of troops looking to go.

Comment

• Irish peacekeeping troops experiencing ‘some harassment’ in Syria.

Again, Some moronic comments after the article of course, the Journal seems to get more than its share of the intellectually challenged.
                                Last edited by Herald; 27 August 2014, 21:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X