No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose from a UNDOF point of view there shouldn't be any AEs within the AO (it being the Syrian army's job to keep them out).

The only political pull the Irish (or any contributor) has is to threaten withdrawing the contingent. This could lead to a better mandate, heavier equipment being allowed or pressure being put on the Syrian and Israelis so the mission is no longer required.

There is however no excuse for a lack of political will to even say difficult job well done
    Last edited by DeV; 31 August 2014, 18:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      I suppose from a UNDOF point of view there shouldn't be any AEs within the AO (it being the Syrian army's job to keep them out).

The only political pull the Irish (or any contributor) has is to threaten withdrawing the contingent. This could lead to a better mandate, heavier equipment being allowed or pressure being put on the Syrian and Israelis so the mission is no longer required.
      And in our case what heavier equipment could we bring to the boondoggle? A few 105s? a few(very few) MRV's? its not like we have a regiment of Marders or Apache's we could bring into the Rear area.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
        And in our case what heavier equipment could we bring to the boondoggle? A few 105s? a few(very few) MRV's? its not like we have a regiment of Marders or Apache's we could bring into the Rear area.
        There's plenty we could bring.
        Last edited by Fridge Magnet; 31 August 2014, 19:05.

Comment

The advantage of UN ops is that you don't have to have them yourself.

We have plenty that could be deployed

Not sure what is currently deployed
          Last edited by DeV; 31 August 2014, 19:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            I suppose from a UNDOF point of view there shouldn't be any AEs within the AO (it being the Syrian army's job to keep them out).

There is however no excuse for a lack of political will to even say difficult job well done
            The Austrians, Japanese and Croatians have all pulled out. The Fillipino's are pulling out over 300 troops in October.

Still no sign of a better mandate.

Comment

• Another stupid question for our more enlightened members of the board. I know the Irish army has participated in EUFOR and UN missions. Have we taken part in any other ones? i.e. NATO and I'm not talking about cooperation but actually signing up for a tour under a NATO or other organisation mandate?

And second stupid question. I'm familiar with EU, NATO and UN missions but what other multinational organisations can create these missions? I'm aware of African Union missions but are there any others?
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• MOD: Lets keep it vague what the troops have and don't have out there.No commander EVER has eveything he/she would like to have.They could always have more but are 100% better equipped then when I first served in the region.In short we don't know who may be reading this.Lets keep our lads full capabilities as a nice surprise for any fool who tries to directly target them
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Another stupid question for our more enlightened members of the board. I know the Irish army has participated in EUFOR and UN missions. Have we taken part in any other ones? i.e. NATO and I'm not talking about cooperation but actually signing up for a tour under a NATO or other organisation mandate?
                  KFOR,SFOR,ISAF all UN mandated but NATO led.Irish participate/d as members of PFP.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                    Another stupid question for our more enlightened members of the board. I know the Irish army has participated in EUFOR and UN missions. Have we taken part in any other ones? i.e. NATO and I'm not talking about cooperation but actually signing up for a tour under a NATO or other organisation mandate?

And second stupid question. I'm familiar with EU, NATO and UN missions but what other multinational organisations can create these missions? I'm aware of African Union missions but are there any others?

IFOR/SFOR
                    KFOR

Both under NATO command

INTERFET under Australian command

Any regional organisation/country can do it (as far as the UN is concerned).
                    There is a West African group of some description.

Comment

a Battery of 105's, another of 120's, every 81mm you can dig out of the Armouries, Jav's, HMG's, and a pair of 139's to move them to wherever they need to be.

the Irish Army is not short of land based combat power, its problem is getting it in place. even now, if Ireland asked for help others would provide the airlift you need to get some of this stuff inplace to re-establish the security of UNDOF, at which point you can have a debate about the future of UNDOF, or the Irish contribution to UNDOF.

if you want to know how many L118's you can get on a C-17, the answer is lots - and a C-17 can fly from Baldonnel to Beruit in 6 hours. there might even still be the 4 Chinooks at RAF Akrotiri, just an hours flying time away...

Comment

• The army is short on kit for a force its size. But it does have enough of the right stuff to field a fairly savage light mech battle group albeit probably for an extended period due to the squeezing we've had as easy targets for cuts.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          MOD: Lets keep it vague what the troops have and don't have out there.No commander EVER has eveything he/she would like to have.They could always have more but are 100% better equipped then when I first served in the region.In short we don't know who may be reading this.Lets keep our lads full capabilities as a nice surprise for any fool who tries to directly target them
                          Point taken, Apologies all round.

Comment

• Stoners are surprisingly quite an this one.

Comment

• Calls for contingent of Irish troops to stay on with UN in Syria

Fianna Fáil TD and party defence spokesman Seán Ó Fearghaíl has suggested the current Irish contingent of soldiers in the Golan Heights should have their time there extended if the current difficulties being experienced there continue.

Comment

• Of course, the aim of all this could be to get the larger better equipped & trained contingents to withdrawal and cause UNDOF to collapse

Comment

Working...
                                X