• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldonnel Visitors

A couple of handy links.

http://baldonnel-eime.blogspot.ie/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/s...7622803674597/

Not sure who's blog it is. Seems like the Poles are paying a few visits lately.

class didnt think we had much more than our own and RAF landing there
    who threw the smoke in the van

Comment

I'm surprised at the number of US visitors.
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

I presume it's just a mix of pilots going on jollys to build hours and the odd refuel before crossing the Atlantic?
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Not really. Those days are gone. Nav ex's to a secure military facility would be the norm from NATO or PFP type countries. plenty of experience to be gained by both parties. The majority of US stuff is of the intentionally inconspicuous variety. All done quietly with no fuss. Rather than the current glut of Polish, you could see the French doing something similar with Alpha Jets or a USMC / USAF C130 quietly topping up before heading off across the pond.seems like Bal is a popular choice for such trips. For all the criticism received here by ex IAC CHC employees, recently banned or otherwise, EIME sees more international military co-operation than any other Irish military facility. Even if we fail to recognise its strategic importance from time to time, we are reminded of the value of a secure military aviation facility by those countries that chose to avail of it's facilities.
          Last edited by Jetjock; 4 August 2013, 04:41.

Comment

This site is quite good too...

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              I presume it's just a mix of pilots going on jollys to build hours and the odd refuel before crossing the Atlantic?
              Yeh I reakon you hit the nail on the head, most foreign military visitors arrive park, have a night in town and leave, they really only have contact with ATC and the Pax Terminal. The other visitors are on training flights and just carry out a few approaches and head onwards. On a very rare occasion a Military VIP or foreign government VIP will use Bal when visiting, however they are as likely to use Dub. The really hush-hush stuff will have bypassed Ireland completely, they have used EINN on occasion but that caused all sorts of unwanted attention now I assume they just use secure NATO stations in the UK or Europe..

I would think the Military College sees far more International Military Co-operation then any other facility in Ireland!!

Comment

Out of curiosity, are these foreign users billed for fuel and handling at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie252 View Post
                  Yeh I reakon you hit the nail on the head, most foreign military visitors arrive park, have a night in town and leave, they really only have contact with ATC and the Pax Terminal. The other visitors are on training flights and just carry out a few approaches and head onwards. On a very rare occasion a Military VIP or foreign government VIP will use Bal when visiting, however they are as likely to use Dub. The really hush-hush stuff will have bypassed Ireland completely, they have used EINN on occasion but that caused all sorts of unwanted attention now I assume they just use secure NATO stations in the UK or Europe..

I would think the Military College sees far more International Military Co-operation then any other facility in Ireland!!
                  The wardroom in Haulbowline sees it's fair share also.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

When it comes to billing, a lot of it is done on a swap basis, ie, you fill my aircraft with fuel this time and I'll do the same for you. In the case of exchanges with frequent visitors such as the French, it's often written off at Exchequer level. Quite often, there are no landing or handling fees, as it's considered FOC on military bases.

regards
                    GttC

Comment

Working...
                    X