• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers of Irish in British Army

Personally I think the numbers joining are over stated by some here

In training - 55
    Total - 415

Oh and it also dispels a rumour, the DF recruited a total of 939 people between 2009 and 2012. There is recruitment it is just limited and not continuous.

Any numbers for how many British are in the Irish army? i.e. Jaffas........

I think there may be more brits in the Irish army then the other way around.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Is that including nordies?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Is that including nordies?
        Possibly but assume they do it by nationality or home address

Comment

According to today Indo, there was a 44% drop in the numbers of Irish that joined the British Army in 2012 (to just 70).

Comment

THE number of Irish recruits joining the British Army has almost halved in the space of 12 months, as British forces end combat operations, and dissident republicans target recruits.

New UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) figures obtained by the Irish Independent reveal that just 70 Irish citizens joined the British Army in 2012.

That contrasts with 123 Irish citizens opting to join British forces in 2011 and represents a 44pc decline in the space of just 12 months.
            Half-arsed article, it clearly gives the reasons why recruiting in general is coming down in it:-
            Military analysts warned that a number of factors may be responsible for the decline -- including the end of British combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Other factors include the downsizing of British armed forces and the end of the recession in Ireland.
            And the reference to the RA threats is over-hyped as well.

Comment

It is the indo.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Wonder what the breakdown in numbers is for the BA / RN / RAF...
                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

i've encountered a few Irish nationals in the British Army Reserve recently also.

i've met about 3 Irish lads in serving in the RAF in my time, and only recall meeting one Irish lad in the Royal Navy, but we didn't mix with them so often.

out of the few Irishmen serving in the British Army who are here on IMO, only one as far as I know is serving in an Irish Regiment of the British Army.

the actual official figures are published annually somewhere.

i visited the British Army National Recruiting Centre recently and it was clear interest from the Republic of Ireland was still strong.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Were you there collecting your commission cheque RGJ?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest View Post
                      Were you there collecting your commission cheque RGJ?!?!?
                      i think we get paid in cash actually

nah i visit there most weeks for something else to do with work.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                        i've encountered a few Irish nationals in the British Army Reserve recently also...
                        Idly curious, based with Reserve in NI or mainland UK?
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You now can't be an RoI resident to join the TA

Comment

I'm sure there's some bods using a Norn Iron address for the TA and living in the south, RDF members working in Norn Iron have used special TA leave to go on camp also!
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              Idly curious, based with Reserve in NI or mainland UK?
                              i've only ever met Irish lads in the Army Reserve in England, as Dev and RJ pointed out you must be domiciled / resident in the UK but there are ways around it - pretty much similar to how certain people used to claim benefits in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland concurrently by border hopping.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X