This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 18th

In a series of concerted moves British troops in Leinster pushed the United Irishmen back into south Co. Wexford. The rebels were now based in Wexford town and Camolin.

The decisive battle of the Napoleonic War was fought near a small Belgian village which gave its name to the most famous battle in history, Waterloo. The British, with the assistance of the Dutch and the Prussians and commanded by the Duke of Wellington defeated the French, who, with characteristic bitterness, blamed it all on the Emperor’s haemaerroids.

A local boy from Clonmel, Lt Col John Hammerton, commanded the 44th East Essex on the day. Other Irish input, apart from the Duke himself, was provided by the 27th Foot, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, who suffered the heaviest casualties of the day. Their cavalry counterparts , the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons were there too.

Died

4792 Pte Thomas Russell, 8th Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers. Killed in action on the Western Front. From Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford.

55727 DI Michael Hunt, RIC. Killed in Thurles, Co. Tipperary. He was born in Sligo in 1873.

Volunteer Thomas Brett from Drombane, Co. Tipperary. Died of wounds.

Sgt Mark Brennan from Co. Mayo, of the 78 AA Bty, US Army died in an air crash in Korea.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

• June 19th

Muhammad Ahmad became Mahdi of Sudan. El Mahdi means The One Who is Guided by God. He led the “fuzzy-wuzzies” against the British.

We approved the Maastricht Treaty.
      sigpic

Comment

• June 20th

King John landed in Waterford to put manners on the Norman-Irish nobles.

In India the Nawab of Bengal captured Calcutta, the British East India Company’s base in Bengal and along with it, Fort William. 146 British soldiers and civilians were imprisoned in a small cell in the fort, overnight. 123 died of suffocation. The cell became known as the Black Hole of Calcutta.

Theobald Wolfe Tone was born.

The United Irishmen retreated to Vinegar Hill. General Sir John Moore(below) defeated a rebel contingent at Goff’s Bridge.

In Wexford town loyalist prisoners were killed by rebels.

Victoria, daughter of the Duke of Kent was crowned Queen of Great Britain and Ireland at the age of 18 .She succeeded her uncle, King William IV. She ruled for 63 years until her death in 1901. Her coronation produced a rash of renaming of army barracks, including those in Clonmel and Cork. The four trees at the front of Kickham barracks were also planted in honour of the occasion.

Lizzy Borden took an axe,
        And gave her father forty whacks.
        When she saw what she had done,
        She gave her mother forty-one.

Lizzy Borden was found Not Guilty of the murder of her parents on this day 111 years ago. The jury may have been convinced but her neighbours in New Bedford were not and Lizzy was ostracised forever more.

The Treaty of Versailles was signed today.

Died

9536 PteThomas Barry, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt. Died on the Western Front. From Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

6076 Pte David Hugh O'Donoghue, 9th Bn, Australian Imperial Forces. Died on the Western Front. He was the son of Edward and Mary O'Donoghue, Marlfield, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

Three officers from Clonmel barracks were captured by the IRA while on an undercover reconnaissance mission. They were subsequently shot and their bodies dumped on the Clonmel to Cahir road.

Lt R F Bettridge, Royal Artillery.

Lt Walter Glossop, Royal Artillery.

Lt A C H Toogood, 1 st Bn Lincolnshire Regt.
        Last edited by Groundhog; 30 July 2004, 05:56.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Groundhog
          June 18th

The decisive battle of the Napoleonic War was fought near a small Belgian village which gave its name to the most famous battle in history, Waterloo. The British, with the assistance of the Dutch and the Prussians and commanded by the Duke of Wellington defeated the French, who, with characteristic bitterness, blamed it all on the Emperor’s haemaerroids.

A local boy from Clonmel, Lt Col John Hammerton, commanded the 44th East Essex on the day. Other Irish input, apart from the Duke himself, was provided by the 27th Foot, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, who suffered the heaviest casualties of the day. Their cavalry counterparts , the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons were there too.

Might be worth mentioning that Wellington Himself was an Irishman,Born in Dublin(the original west brit)though it was not something of which he was proud. His famous quote has resurfaced a lot during the recent referendum,on nationality not being a question of where one is born..

"Being born in a stable does not make one a horse"

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• He never said that, another quote wrongly attributed.

How do you make out that he was a West Brit and the original one at that? (A ridiculous term of abuse, anyway).....Georgian Dublin was considered the second city of the Empire, hardly a stable....although Haughey and his developer buddies ultimately tried to raze said Georgian city to the ground.
            "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

• If he did not say it,who did?
              Are all dubs not Ultimately west brits anyway? I mean the pale....what was that all about?
              (Nowdays its known as the M50...)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I don't know who said it, maybe someone thought it up to discredit him.

I mean the pale....what was that all about?
                Keeping all you mucksavages out of the one civilised part of the country:D ...not that it worked, as witnessed by the huge population of culchies in Dublin.......

Roger Mellie

Comment

• June 21st

Happy Midsummers Day.

It’s the Summer Solstice, day of the year with the longest hours of daylight. Just over 17 hours of it in fact. The more observant among you, who don’t live in town centres, will note that all night long the northern horizon is bright. This is because the sun dips just below the horizon at our latitudes. Up in Iceland and such places of course, it doesn’t go down at all at this time of year.

The Scots hammered the English at Bannockburn. The event is commemorated at every Scottish Rugby international with a rendition of Flower of Scotland. My second favourite rugby anthem.

Not a good midsummer for the Irish resistance to Cromwell. Bishop Heber MacMahon was elected to lead Ulster after the death of Owen Roe O'Neill in November 1649. He was soundly defeated at the Battle of Scarrifhollis near Letterkenny, captured and hanged. Guerrilla warfare continued for another three years until Phillip O’Reilly surrendered.

The army of William of Orange, under General Godert de Ginkel, began the ten-day siege of Athlone. It was during this siege that the legendary Sgt Custume, after whom Athlone Barracks is named, dismantled the wooden bridge over the Shannon to prevent the Williamite soldiers crossing.

A bad day for the Paddies all round. We go 3-nil down as the Battle of Vinegar Hill ends in defeat for the United Irishmen. Two rebel columns do escape however one column camps at Sleedagh Demense, the other at Peppards Castle.

Wexford town is re-captured by government troops.

The Peninsular War ended. The Iron Duke was, naturally the winner.

We claw back a goal as Charles Lucas from Drumagole, Co Armagh, aged 20 and serving in the Royal Navy aboard HMS Hecla, hurls a burning Russian shell from the deck of his ship during the Crimean War. Even though the deed was actually done at Bomarsrund in the Baltic. He became the first ever recipient of the Victoria Cross and later rose to the rank of Rear Admiral.

The day ends in a 4-1 crushing defeat for the Irish as Alexander Campbell, John Donohue, Michael Doyle and Edward Kelly, four Molly Maguires, are hanged in the US.

Rommel captured Tobruk.

It was reported that illegal loggers in northern Thailand were feeding their elephants amphetamine-laced bananas to speed up work before the rainy season.:D 10 elephants were said to have died of overwork and exhaustion.:(
                  sigpic

Comment

• Might be worth mentioning that Wellington Himself was an Irishman,Born in Dublin(the original west brit)though it was not something of which he was proud.

I already did, on his birthday- May 1st I believe. And this sentence in the post is a dead giveaway

Other Irish input, apart from the Duke himself, was provided by the 27th Foot,

Do try to keep up Goldie.:D
                    sigpic

Comment

• June 22nd

The United Irishmen southern column marched into Co. Carlow while the northern column marched to Croghan.

In Ulster John Kelly, 'Kelly the boy from Killane' was executed.

King George V was crowned King of Great Britain and Ireland at Westminster Abbey.

68879 Constable Eugene Path RIC was shot and wounded in Dublin. He was born in Co. Tipperary in 1897.

Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson, the Chief of the Imperial General Staff was assassinated by two IRA men as he entered his home in London. He was born in 1864 in Currygrane, County Longford.

France signed an armistice with Germany eight days after the fall of Paris.

Operation Barbarossa was launched. Hitler broke the first rule of warfare and invaded Russia.

The Air India disaster happened off the south east coast of Ireland.
                      sigpic

Comment

• June 23rd

British rule in India, as opposed to occupying trading posts, began after the Battle of Plassey was fought on this day. The forces of the East India Company under Robert Clive defeated the army of the Nawab of Bengal. The Nawab's successor, one Mir Jafar, was bought off as were many of the Nawab's soldiers.

The United Irishmen captured Goresbridge, Co. Kilkenny. Meanwhile the northern column moved into Wicklow Mountains.

Pte John McCorrie of the 57th Foot, fighting at Sebastopol in the Crimean War threw a burning shell out of his trench and was awarded a VC.

Colour-Sergeant Steven Garvin (below), from Cashel, Co. Tipperary, led a small party of men under heavy fire to the 'Sammy House' at Delhi, India to capture it from a number of mutineers who were firing on a battery of heavy guns. He was serving in the 60th Rifles.

Also awarded a VC at Delhi on this day was Pte John McGovern of the 1st Bengal Fusiliers, for rescuing a comrade under fire.

Died

Third Officer Alexander Jack, Merchant Navy.

4922206 Pte William Martley, 5th Bn, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders was killed in France. He was the son of Patrick and Margaret Martley, and the husband of Mary Martley, Clonmel. He died age 31 and is buried in Hermanville War Cemetery.
                        Last edited by Groundhog; 1 July 2004, 00:38.
                        sigpic

Comment

• June 24th

Henry VIII was crowned king of England.

King William III's army landed at Carrickfergus

The United Irishmen captured Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny and moved into Co Laois.

Field Marshal Horatio Kitchener was born in Ballylongford, Co. Kerry.

The Allies began a 10-day fire bombing of Hamburg.

Died

1377 Sgt Andrew Doyle, 7th Bn Leinster Regt. Died on the Western Front.

Sailor Michael Lynch from Youghal, Co. Cork, off the S.S. British Renown Died age 17 and was buried in Parkhurst Military Cemetery, Isle of Wight.
                          Last edited by Groundhog; 24 June 2004, 19:16.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Henry VIII was crowned king of England.

Sorry, just couldn't resist this

I'M HENRY THE VIII, I AM

I'm Henry the eighth I am
                            Henry the eighth I am, I am
                            I got married to the widow next door
                            She's been married seven times before
                            And every one was an Henry (Henry)
                            She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)
                            I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
                            Henry the eighth I am

Second verse same as the first

Henry the eighth I am

Henry the eighth I am

H-E-N-R-Y
                            Henry (Henry)
                            Henry (Henry)
                            Henry the eighth I am

Yeah!
                            :D :D :D

Roger Mellie

Comment

• Christ. A Patrick Swayze fan.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Ummm, no......Saw it on The Simpsons when Homer was Henry VIII....Paddy Swayzee??? Thought it was Herman's Hemits.....

Roger Mellie

Comment

Working...
                                X