X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Now that raises 2 issues for me:

PDFORRA negotiated a pay cuts for new enterants

Career soldiers who are still privates after 20 years ?
    With rank comes extra pay
    I think you will find that Pdforra successfully negotiated to get rid of the 10% cut which the government had imposed on all new entries, across the public service without any negotiation

As for those who are Privates after more than 20 years, there are tech branches where there are less than a handful of Sgts in the DF, my own trade of HGVMT being one. Where there used to be a fitter Sgt for every workshops we got to the stage of only one in the old Western brigade. So in the 2012 re-org they started in on removing fitter Cpls, and I would not be surprised to see the next Fitter Sgt who retires not being replaced leaving yet again one Sgt in the whole Brigade. I'm sure similar situations occur in other branches, and it leads to a situation where reaching high rank is high on impossible
    Last edited by REX; 11 October 2014, 02:08.
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Originally posted by REX View Post
      I think you will find that Pdforra successfully negotiated to get rid of the 10% cut which the government had imposed on all new entries, across the public service without any negotiation

As for those who are Privates after more than 20 years, there are tech branches where there are less than a handful of Sgts in the DF, my own trade of HGVMT being one. Where there used to be a fitter Sgt for every workshops we got to the stage of only one in the old Western brigade. So in the 2012 re-org they started in on removing fitter Cpls, and I would not be surprised to see the next Fitter Sgt who retires not being replaced leaving yet again one Sgt in the whole Brigade. I'm sure similar situations occur in other branches, and it leads to a situation where reaching high rank is high on impossible

I assume that the establishment of fitter corporals and privates has also reduced?
      What about other corps?

Comment

• The 10k results show a fair spattering of ptes in the elder echelons.(pure anecdotal data in statistical terms)

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          I assume that the establishment of fitter corporals and privates has also reduced?
          What about other corps?
          No, not until the 2012 re-org, when we had the situation where the vacancies for those in training disappeared, and some who were only recently qualified were banished to Inf Bns, after signing on and training for 4 years as HGVMTs. I heard only today that the 24 or more most recently qualified personnel are going to be imployed in workshops on a SWA basis, I know, strictly verboten, but it was either that or admit the re-org was a f**k up
          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

some who were only recently qualified were banished to Inf Bns, after signing on and training for 4 years as HGVMTs
            Were these individuals given the same terms of service as line Ptes in regard to going on their ticket? I presume that the army wants a return on service after 4 years of training, but putting someone through it and then not letting them do the job they were trained for at taxpayer expense is incredibly retarded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
              Were these individuals given the same terms of service as line Ptes in regard to going on their ticket? I presume that the army wants a return on service after 4 years of training, but putting someone through it and then not letting them do the job they were trained for at taxpayer expense is incredibly retarded.
              AFAIR anyone who joined straight from the street would serve 4 years in trade training then owe 5 years service. Those who come from the lines on the trainee tech scheme (there a lot of these due to the recruitment embargo), would owe 4 years after training
              CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Haven't they more or less gone totally to TTSs? Think the exception is the AC

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  It is not a new phenomenon in the DF.
                  Some years back the NS recruited a glut of DEs. Meanwhile there were numerous apprentice classes about to finish their training. On arriving back in haulbowline, expecting to be appointed to their respective trades they were told "no vacancies" and appointed as unskilled mechs (Without the tech pay they had signed up for). Meanwhile the officer class had no problem using said trades to rewire their houses, fix their cars etc.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The 10% cut which troops still haven't gotten back. PDFORRA have been rather quiet about that particular detail.

Don't see them shouting from the rooftops about the new Private payscales that's in place for new entrants either.

Funny that.

Comment

• @nagrohmiti, that's when you tool up the lawyers....nothing makes a DF officer react when the possibility of a court case looms. That kind of shit happened several times in the Don when some individuals decided that they had the unofficial right to alter Ts and Cs of airmen to suit themselves and it took the threat of legal action to make them see right.

Comment

• Today I spoke to one of the Trainee Tech lads who was RTU'd after completion of training, and he told me that after resorting to the law they have now signed new contracts allowing completion of 21 years (subject to normal signing on criteria) from beginning of training and 2 years back tech pay, about €7000! All "vacancies" to be filled after interview, but they are all going to Cork or DFTC
                        CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• the effin stupid DoD and DF. Ongoing stupidity.

Comment

• Hard to pin down the stats unless other data regarding FIS participation by other worker cohorts in the public/state sector.Simply raising lower pay scales would prove very costly as it would result in a pay rise for the CoS all the way down as gach einne would seek to preserve relativity on the various pay scales/grades.
                            The days of the DF being constituted from group cert/early school leavers is over and the initial pay should relflect this.However this upskilling is lost on the public/political masters who still appear to think the a regular pte is only good for pick and shovel tasks on ATCA or as substitute binmen etc.If the said pte is good enough for CIT/prison duties then pay should reflect what the GS/prison warders get.

Comment

• Oh, Jesus, no! I want private soldiers who are fit, interested, keen, willing to work hard without a "Union rules, Bud" attitude and regarding overseas duty as an adventure and not an endurance exercise....not mentally or physically equivalent to Irish prison officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                                Oh, Jesus, no! I want private soldiers who are fit, interested, keen, willing to work hard without a "Union rules, Bud" attitude and regarding overseas duty as an adventure and not an endurance exercise....not mentally or physically equivalent to Irish prison officers.
                                If they are all those things, why should they not be payed at least as much as them
                                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Working...
                                X