No announcement yet.

Naval fleet 'stuck in dry docks'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workers at the naval dockyard in Haulbowline, Co Cork, have hit out at management for drip-feeding information on the potential exposure to asbestos.

More than 150 Naval Service personnel and civilian workers could have potentially come in contact with asbestos as the crisis deepens over the extent of exposure to the life-threatening substance.

Comment

Good to see Le Orla back in action

Comment

So that's just Ciara and Eithne out of action at the moment?

Comment

In the old days in our Naval vessels, schools ,billets, and galleys, everything insulating for heat, or fire retardant was made of asbestos. Even the old smoke helmet on the ships had asbestos trimmings. we are in a tizzy about a few gaskets or about sites that were visually clear or unobservable for asbestos. We even had it on the arctic heater pipework around the bridge wings and Oerlikon gun mount positions on the L.E.Maev. I know it is potentially dangerous over a 40 year prognosis but for expediency and speed of repair we are not winning any prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by 25 pounder View Post
            So that's just Ciara and Eithne out of action at the moment?
            Yep as far as I can tell. Would make you wonder if it is worth fixing considering it is moored up since May. Time for a new ship I think (P64)

Comment

4 X €100 million = peanuts. Go figure gov'

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                In the old days in our Naval vessels, schools ,billets, and galleys, everything insulating for heat, or fire retardant was made of asbestos. Even the old smoke helmet on the ships had asbestos trimmings. we are in a tizzy about a few gaskets or about sites that were visually clear or unobservable for asbestos. We even had it on the arctic heater pipework around the bridge wings and Oerlikon gun mount positions on the L.E.Maev. I know it is potentially dangerous over a 40 year prognosis but for expediency and speed of repair we are not winning any prizes.
                I'm reminded about an old railway guard nostalgically telling me about old guards vans on the train with the coal-fired stove in the van "glowing red all the way up the chimney in the dark".
                When I said this didn't sound very safe, he replied indignantly "Of course it was safe - the whole van was lined with asbestos!".
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by andy View Post
                  4 X €100 million = peanuts. Go figure gov'

4 x €100????

Each ship cost €50 so your maths are off slightly......

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                    4 x €100????

Each ship cost €50 so your maths are off slightly......
                    More of a bargain so!!!
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Maintaining what we have

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                      More of a bargain so!!!
                      Multi-role ships are always going to be expensive to maintain to original standard and capability. However it is prudent to do so if replacement units are going to cost multiples of original outlay. In a case in point I believe L.E. Eithne's software and hardware packages associated with Air Warning are no longer available because of COST. This has a double effect in that you lose the capability of tracking Russian "Bears" and you dilute the in house expertise of operating and maintaining such systems. Maintenance is a must otherwise you create a culture of getting rid of useful vessels that no longer function as intended. If Eithne is going out to say,Horn of Africa, she needs her flight deck clear for land ons and a Helo directing capability restored.
                      If possible her AWS should also be made operational or replaced even with a military unit.

Comment

Multi-role ships are always going to be expensive to maintain to original standard and capability. However it is prudent to do so if replacement units are going to cost multiples of original outlay. In a case in point I believe L.E. Eithne's software and hardware packages associated with Air Warning are no longer available because of COST. This has a double effect in that you lose the capability of tracking Russian "Bears" and you dilute the in house expertise of operating and maintaining such systems. Maintenance is a must otherwise you create a culture of getting rid of useful vessels that no longer function as intended. If Eithne is going out to say,Horn of Africa, she needs her flight deck clear for land ons and a Helo directing capability restored.
                        If possible her AWS should also be made operational or replaced even with a military unit.
                        Why would she need to have her helo deck restored? First we don't have crew's trained for that anymore surely, second there have been other ships deployed on the operation that didn't have helo's. And it's not like the Air Corps is sending out a helo to operate off her.

Comment

Is cost the only factor,surely the systems are by now discontinued and spare/parts etc no longer available.

Comment

Working...
                          X