No announcement yet.

Post 94 contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fact is, he will have to get off his ass because the wages of a Pte or a Cpl can no longer support a family. The days of a barrack rat are numbered as well.
    I also think that a 1 week pre retirement cse is bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack08 View Post
      The fact is, he will have to get off his ass because the wages of a Pte or a Cpl can no longer support a family. The days of a barrack rat are numbered as well.
      I also think that a 1 week pre retirement cse is bullshit.
      The Retirement Planning Council of Ireland run pre-retirement courses thst are only 1 and 2 days long

Comment

• Fair Enough,
        I just think that retirement course for an individual who is 35, should be different to a 55 year old. That it should include interview skill sets, maybe CV building, perhaps other things, look I'm a long way off from that, it just that sometimes I think that with a tiny bit of fore thought, we really could have a proper exit strategic, that helps.

Comment

Fair Enough,
          I just think that retirement course for an individual who is 35, should be different to a 55 year old. That it should include interview skill sets, maybe CV building, perhaps other things, look I'm a long way off from that, it just that sometimes I think that with a tiny bit of fore thought, we really could have a proper exit strategic, that helps.
          Absolutely, but shouldn't the 55 year old also get those skills?

Comment

• Its rare you hear of a 38 year old "retiring" in civvie street. They generally just change job or career path. The only place you'll see this is the DF and other public service organizations. A retirement at a similar age is just a termination of contract in civvie street. A retirement in civvie street tends to be someone calling it a day to enjoy the autumnal years of their life maybe doing a spot of work here and there to keep active and put a few more quid in the coffers. Retiring at 38 in the DF means someone either through their own decision or through a decision being made on them is changing their career path. There are huge differences in the two situations.
            "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

• Yet, I can't think of any mandatory retirement on age ground(38-40) in civvie street.

Comment

• I've come across plenty of "mandatory retirement" at age 38-40 in civvie street. It just tends to be called redundancy.

Comment

• ' The state of being no longer in employment because there is no more work available'

Comment

Yet, I can't think of any mandatory retirement on age ground(38-40) in civvie street.
                    Equally nowadays its hard to think of a civvie job where you can join at 17/18 and stay in the same position and job description for 20 years. High labour turn overs have replaced the "job for life" ethos that previously was attached to entry level positions.

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

• Entry level is not 3 Star Private.
                      2 Star after 16 weeks training,
                      3 Star after a further 16 weeks training,
                      3-5 Years of different training courses, minimum 1 overseas trip, aka 6 months outside of the country.
                      then maybe a PNCO's Cse 19-23 weeks training.
                      Then still mandatory retirement on 21.

So lets think about this,
                      Plaster, bricky, painter,electrician, you could say are entry level, never really change after a 4 year period.
                      do they all get told after a 21 year period, start a new career, become something different

Comment

Entry level is not 3 Star Private.
                        Well if we're attempting to compare like for like. Then yes 3* is entry level IMO. Also for the record, my point is that you cannot compare a civvie job and DF job.

Originally posted by jack08 View Post
                        So lets think about this,
                        Plaster, bricky, painter,electrician, you could say are entry level, never really change after a 4 year period.
                        do they all get told after a 21 year period, start a new career, become something different
                        I'm not an expert on the construction industry but to my knowledge aren't the majority of tradesmen (excuse my ignorance on this one) operating on a contract basis and a lot of tradesmen operating from job to job or self employed? They can be told thanks for your service and good luck fairly quickly after the job is complete and then its up to them to go and find a new job or trade (particularly if they're not up to scratch). I don't think this is a suitable comparison anyway. Regardless, in todays workplace it is very seldom that you will hear of anyone working for the same employer for 21 years. Never mind 21 years in the same position.

Comment

• That's true, it might not be the best comparison, however, who said a Pte/Cpl stays in the same position for 21 years.

Comment

• True but it can be a very different experience applying for an internal job to applying for an external job [not unique to the DF by the way]. The "pre-retirement" course needs to be flexible enough to provide for the needs of the 38 year old as well as the 58 year old. I was made redundant 3.5 years ago and as part of the redundancy package I was provided with access to a consultant who advised on CV writing, interview skills and job searching skills. I found it very useful in building my confidence and how to map my skills to different jobs.

Comment

• It's not FAS out there folks.

Plus that though there is a huge Exer and RDF network and that should be shown how to use in any retirement course. Most RDF NCOs and Officers are usually aware of where a few jobs are going and what the market in their area is like. In my own area, IT, for example, this is true. I'd presume B20 could say the same for his.
                              Plus if you've made the effort to get to know a couple of them - they will give you that all important introduction - this is Ireland, remember - just like the PDF, most trades aren't large amount of people and the more specialized you go the smaller the pool. Again - a few people in the PDF have done this with me and it seems to have worked.
                              Last edited by trellheim; 30 March 2015, 09:18.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                                I've come across plenty of "mandatory retirement" at age 38-40 in civvie street. It just tends to be called redundancy.
                                Its not really an accurate comparision- Redundancy is when the position within an organisation is done away with- If we take for example No 5 Jack hammer operator and that position was the subject of a redundancy- then the organisation cannot bring in someone new to fill No 5 Jack hammer operator as that position is now terminated (the position as opposed to the holder of the position) .

Whereas on grounds of mandatory retirement- W Woodpecker who is employed as No 5 jack hammer operator is mandatorily retired on a Friday and Mr B Bunny is employed on monday in the position of No 5 Jack Hammer operator.
                                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                                X