Air To Ground Gunnery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air To Ground Gunnery

Air Crew practice air to ground gunnery off the coast of Gormanston Co. Meath recently.

That's a sweet sounding weapon-great footage Rhodes.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      That's a sweet sounding weapon-great footage Rhodes.
      Thank Airman Terry Healy for this and almost all the DF youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
        Thank Airman Terry Healy for this and almost all the DF youtube videos.
        He is as a great bloke- some talented lads out there.
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Great video, not sure about the backing track though.

Comment

is there a stop or stay to stop that restricts the angle the wepon can be fired. For example in the event of the helicopter been tossed about and the gunner losing his balance , oops there goes the ,,,,,

Comment

That'il show them ilegal turf cutters .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

the aircrew clothing is gone very warry...god be with the days when you rocked up in green jumper and trousers to do a GP flight.

Comment

Yeah. There are stops on all 4 arcs, up, down, left and right. The most restrictive in terms of gunnery is the upper stop. I can't remember the exact angle, but it was a little less than 90 degrees elevation I think. When the heli is manouvering or banking towards the target the gunner may not be able to engage due to hitting the stops. Screams of 'LESS BANK! LESS BANK!' are fairly common from the gunner! At least they were when I was flying.....

Comment

Is it similiar target to what the Pilatus fire at.

Comment

Yeah. The guys usually piggy back on the PC9 sessions. It's administratively and logistically easier. They can also assist with range clearance and SAR at a pinch. Having said that, any floating target that the gunners can see will do.

Comment

In an exclusion zone, any boat is fair game....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

no tracers..

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                            the aircrew clothing is gone very warry...god be with the days when you rocked up in green jumper and trousers to do a GP flight.
                            I mentioned something about that before in another thread RE the ARW and their use of helis.No good having the ground troops all kitted out with CBA etc and the flight crew being bullet fodder!I wonder do the pilots practice flying in CBA?
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              I mentioned something about that before in another thread RE the ARW and their use of helis.No good having the ground troops all kitted out with CBA etc and the flight crew being bullet fodder!I wonder do the pilots practice flying in CBA?
                              Oh apod. That story is a saga all in its own right. The aircrew jerkin variant of the standard vest and was designed to be worn over CBA designed for cavalry crews. Unfortunately it was deemed inappropriate for use in aircraft due to non aviation certification. Bang went that idea and 150 sets of aircrew LCJs which were also capable of being used as life jackets were never used. They may have found a new home since but as far as I know, there was an attempt to get a certified vest as per what the Dutch wear. Not sure if there was any money left to actually purchase them but it has been an ongoing issue since I can remember. At one stage a pilot who made a case to purchase this equipment was told to 'keep taking the drugs'.

Comment

Working...
                              X