No announcement yet.

Air To Ground Gunnery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you see what this Air Corps pilot has just done?

IF YOU’VE EVER wondered if you have what it takes to be in the Air Corps, this photo could be the answer.

This plucky pilot has just done something that’s integral to his job… but that the rest of us certainly wouldn’t be doing on an average work day.

Can you make it out?

Comment

I saw them last Thursday as I happened to be near Gormo, Some sound when they fired, also aircraft seemed very fast compered to the fly pasts Ive seen on O Connell Street, The noise was intense

Comment

Originally posted by Duffer View Post
        I saw them last Thursday as I happened to be near Gormo, Some sound when they fired, also aircraft seemed very fast compered to the fly pasts Ive seen on O Connell Street, The noise was intense
        If you see a PC9 do a nosedive over O'Connell Street I think Its time to run.
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
          If you see a PC9 do a nosedive over O'Connell Street I think Its time to run.
          Starving run on the GPO..flush the rebels out... For king & country...
          British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
          Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Originally posted by The Blue Max View Post
            Starving run on the GPO........
            Air Corps pilots preferably STRAFE on a full stomach by all accounts......

Comment

whereas Ryanair pilots don't have enough to eat......sorry, couldn't resist;-)

Comment

Plenty....just have to bring my own.. In fact the only time I have ever had a crew meal was on a wet lease for Aer Lingus and to be fair I prefer the missus ' sandwiches!!

Comment

Originally posted by Duffer View Post
                  I've seen the PC-9's in action off Gormanston a few years ago. Its a pity the AC pilots dont do 'fast runs' as part of their display routines at Bray Air Show etc etc......just to let 'joe public' see the aircraft's capabilities.
                  Last edited by Silver; 25 March 2014, 19:34.
                  IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Some nice pics of a recent Air to ground shoot off Gormanston. Nice to see the Heli crews finally getting body armour also.
                    Air Corps Live Firing Exercise, April 2014. Imagine; Your weapon is prepped and loaded. You see the target. It is imperative you do not miss. Your mind rushes. You remember your training - 'the marksmanship principles.' You get a firm hold and grip. You try and align yourself naturally. You take a breath. You hold it. You must shoot and release without disturbance. You fire. You look....Now imagine doing it out the side of a moving AW 139! The speed, the height, the distance, the wind, the stability of the craft are all further factors that may affect your firing. Contingency Training is carried out regularly so that crews can do this with ease. This Flickr set shows the preparation and communication that must be conducted between the pilot and shooter to ensure maximum firing effectiveness. The 139 can be equipped with two FN Herstal M58 for its air support role. The machine guns are mounted in the forward windows of the AW139, does not affect the troop carrying capability and as they are reloadable in flight. The ammunition load carried can change according to the mission profile. The FN Herstal M58 can also be fired with infrared lazer pointers for use with Night Vision Goggles.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver View Post
                      I've seen the PC-9's in action off Gormanston a few years ago. Its a pity the AC pilots dont do 'fast runs' as part of their display routines at Bray Air Show etc etc......just to let 'joe public' see the aircraft's capabilities.
                      Half the speed of a 1940's fighter, one quarter of the armaments, what capability do you want to show off?
                      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Given that the vast majority haven't got a clue about aircraft capabilities, twirling a PC9 about at an airshow is all about oohs and ahhs from the crowd, rather than anything else.

Comment

It's a basic and advanced trainer, with limited air to air/ground capability

It's about 200 kph faster than a spitfire.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            It's a basic and advanced trainer, with limited air to air/ground capability

It's about 200 kph faster than a spitfire.
                            Dev in a couple of seconds of googling that you most likely tried to do I came up with this

Specifications Spitfire (Mk.XIV)
                            Maximum speed: 717 km/h, (448 mph, 391 kn)

Specifications (PC-9M)
                            Maximum speed: 593 km/h (368 mph; 320 kn)
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                              Half the speed of a 1940's fighter, one quarter of the armaments, what capability do you want to show off?
                              It's speed (and ideally some air firing displays).
                              Most civies probably think that the PC-9's are only capable of 'Cessna-like' speeds, because that's the (only) speed PC-9's ever seem to do at airshows.

The PC-9's are what we have, they are a great aircraft, so why not display them at their best?!
                              IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver View Post
                                The PC-9's are what we have, they are a great aircraft, so why not display them at their best?!
                                Who seriously gives a f#€k what they can do at an air show ? Pure cosmetics. Capability either exists or it does not. Period.
                                Last edited by Jetjock; 7 April 2014, 22:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X