50 Years of helicopter operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate when they do that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
      Did you really just ask if the Gardai are part of the Defence Forces? Really....?
      Do you have a problem with my question?
      Regards
      Tony K

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Kearns View Post
        Question...... Is the GASU/GardaĆ­ not part of the DF ?
        Regards
        Tony K
        No.

The Garda Siochana is the Law Enforcement Branch of the Department of Justice & Law Reform. They are the State's only Police force. There are other state organisations engaged in certain, specific law enforcement,(Customs, SFPA) but the Garda Siochana is the Primary one.

The Defence forces are composed of the Army, Naval Service and Air Corps. They are the operational arm of the Department of Defence.

It is unfortunate that there is one minister over both the department of Defence and the Department of Justice. It is as practical as having the same minister over Health and Education.

The Garda Air Support unit is manned by GardaĆ­, with Air Corps Pilots. It is based in Casement Aerodrome, the Air Corps HQ. This is purely for practicality, as Garda Air Support unit operations have no impact on Air Corps operations. The Garda Command structure is not integrated in any way to the Air Corps. The Air Corps provide the Pilot to fly Garda Aircraft. They do not bear Air Corps markings. They shouldn't really even bear Air Corps aircraft numbers. I believe the PBN Defender also recently lost most of it's garda markings, for operational reasons.

Comment

Thank you Goldie fish for your detailed reply.
          I am aware of the structure and manning of the GASU at Casement and also aware that photography of their aircraft on the ramp or in the hangar is not permitted.
          Is that fine, hangar picture an official print?
          Regards
          Tony K

Comment

Question...... Is the GASU/GardaĆ­ not part of the DF ?
            Regards
            Tony K
            The GASU aircraft or owned by the GardaĆ­ but are on the State's military register and are not civilian aircraft. They have Air Corps numbers and not civilian registrations. They Air Corp provide pilots, refuelling (on and off base) and its facilities for the GASU. They also provide maintenance for the Defender, maintenance for the EC135's is outsourced.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rhodes;404886]The GASU aircraft or owned by the GardaĆ­ but are on the State's military register and are not civilian aircraft. They have Air Corps numbers and not civilian registrations. They Air Corp provide pilots, refuelling (on and off base) and its facilities for the GASU. They also provide maintenance for the Defender, maintenance for the EC135's is outsourced.[

The civvy engineering provided so that when it comes time to replace them they can be sold on, help generate some funds towards the cost of the upgrade.
              If they were not maintained by licenced engineers they could never be returned to the civil register

Comment

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                If they were not maintained by licenced engineers they could never be returned to the civil register
                So how come the old GASU Squirrel is now civilian registered as well as many other ex-Air Corps aircraft?

Comment

You can take any ex military a/c that has been military maintained and operated but you new to do a full D check and pay through the nose in order to get it civil certified.
                  The SK257 was operated be the AC but maintained by civil licensed engineers.
                  It's a smart thing to do, I'm not saying it as a negative thing.
                  How many ex Air Corps a/c are flying in a commercial passenger carrying capacity worldwide?

Comment

I am aware of the structure and manning of the GASU at Casement and also aware that photography of their aircraft on the ramp or in the hangar is not permitted.
                    Regards
                    Tony K
                    Tony,
                    Both photos are whatever came up first on Google. Do they look familiar to you?

Source here.
                    256 EC.135T1 Garda Air Support Unit by eigjb, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      Tony,
                      Both photos are whatever came up first on Google. Do they look familiar to you?

Source here.
                      256 EC.135T1 Garda Air Support Unit by eigjb, on Flickr
                      Gf
                      That chap takes great pictures, I have seen some of his collection on the web.
                      Tony K

Comment

There is a nice article about the '50th' in the current edition of An Cosantoir.

The article also states that it is re-produced from a booklet produced
                        by the DF/Air Corps to celebrate the occassion...that answers one of my
                        questions!
                        Last edited by Silver; 1 December 2013, 22:08.
                        IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

Regards
                          Tony K
                          Anyone else see the malefactor on the stepladder behind the helo?
                          " I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy"

Comment

Originally posted by SpudGunner View Post
                            Anyone else see the malefactor on the stepladder behind the helo?
                            It's not me this time.....
                            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

As long as nobody photographs the Garda equipment inside either aircraft, then photographing the outside is not really an issue, because plenty of spotters have done so already. The one and only time I was even near the Defender, on a tour of the Don about five years ago, a Garda came over to run us, even though the guy who'd put the aircraft on the ramp was giving us a tour. When we made it clear that we had no cameras out and were already warned off taking pics, only then did the cop relent. So, good security practise was evident.

regards
                              GttC

Comment

Not so Wickla RI... Photography of the two 135's and the Islander is not permitted at Baldonnel.
                                regards
                                Tony K

Comment

Working...
                                X