Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember 30 years ago, a certain rivalry between DFB and Eastern Health Board ambulance services (long before paramedic training), which always seemed to me to be more about protecting their own turf than anything. In those days, the EHB ambulances were the only ones that carried Defib's.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Thanks Flamingo, DeV, sofa thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, DeV, sofa, Rocinante liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    CMU ran a ex in the DFTC recently enough for DF, NAS and DFB

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dublin Fire brigade is at present fighting to turn around a decision to take the ambulance service off them.
    Due to a turf war with the HSE rivals

Post Thanks / Like
    HSE vs DFB .... aside from the professionalism of both sets of ambulance staff, I reckon I could wager my house on which is run in a more professional manner.
    Here's a clue: It ain't the one that snorts the largest departmental budget in the state like a line of cocaine and blows it all on admin for the sake of admin, and horrific management at civil servant level, and someone is now proposing that they now run the entire ambulance service countrywide? God help us.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

7. Likes apod, Truck Driver, Buck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    HSE vs DFB .... aside from the professionalism of both sets of ambulance staff, I reckon I could wager my house on which is run in a more professional manner.
    Here's a clue: It ain't the one that snorts the largest departmental budget in the state like a line of cocaine and blows it all on admin for the sake of admin, and horrific management at civil servant level, and someone is now proposing that they now run the entire ambulance service countrywide? God help us.
    Possibly but see the HIQA reports:
    https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/fi...eport-2014.pdf (2014 report)
    https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/fi...nce-review.pdf (update from 2017)

9. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    If you ring 999 looking for an ambulance and a DFB operators picks up the call. He will task a DFB ambulance in that sector, if one is not available, he will task a DFB ambulance from another sector. If one from another sector is not available. he will incredibly send out a Fire pump with a full crew. At no point would he have swung around on his chair and asked any of the HSE controllers if they have any crews free.
    Last edited by sofa; 4th January 2018 at 20:06.

11. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    If you ring 999 looking for an ambulance and a DFB operators picks up the call. He will task a DFB ambulance in that sector, if one is not available, he will task a DFB ambulance from another sector. If one from another sector is not available. he will incredibly send out a Fire pump with a full crew.
    ....As that appliance has a full crew of paramedics / advanced paramedics and all associated treatment equipment to start treating the patient. The aim of sending an appliance if ambulances are not immediately available is to start treatment as early as possible. Many interventions are life saving or reduce patient morbidity the earlier they are performed. Current national guidelines dictate a responder should be at certain categories of patients within 7m 59s.....responding appliances is part of complying with these guidelines. Also certain categories of patients need more than two responders present to effectively management their conditions to the standards set out by PHECC. Again 5-6 paramedics on a fire appliance is part of complying with these guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    At no point would he have swung around on his chair and asked any of the HSE controllers if they have any crews free.
    Out of date information here Sofa. Two seperate call centres in two intirely different parts of the city. Not physically possible for him to do...although there are systems in place to allow both centres request resources from each other which are regularly and more often being used.

Not uncommon to see DFB paramedics deployed on fire appliances working alongside HSE paramedics deployed on ambulance.....remember they are all paramedics or advanced paramedics trained to exact same standard and working to exact same clinical guidelines regardless of vehicle they turn up to incident in or coulour of uniform.
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

13. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes apod liked this post
    Dislikes Spark23 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    ....As that appliance has a full crew of paramedics / advanced paramedics and all associated treatment equipment to start treating the patient. The aim of sending an appliance if ambulances are not immediately available is to start treatment as early as possible. Many interventions are life saving or reduce patient morbidity the earlier they are performed. Current national guidelines dictate a responder should be at certain categories of patients within 7m 59s.....responding appliances is part of complying with these guidelines. Also certain categories of patients need more than two responders present to effectively management their conditions to the standards set out by PHECC. Again 5-6 paramedics on a fire appliance is part of complying with these guidelines.

Out of date information here Sofa. Two seperate call centres in two intirely different parts of the city. Not physically possible for him to do...although there are systems in place to allow both centres request resources from each other which are regularly and more often being used.

Not uncommon to see DFB paramedics deployed on fire appliances working alongside HSE paramedics deployed on ambulance.....remember they are all paramedics or advanced paramedics trained to exact same standard and working to exact same clinical guidelines regardless of vehicle they turn up to incident in or coulour of uniform.
    See the HQIA report

The point sofa is making is that if a call is received by DFB for an ambulance on College Green, if the only free DFB ambulance is in Donnybrook that will be sent instead of a free NAS ambulance on Dame Street.

15. Thanks sofa thanked for this post

Thread Information