Defence Forces ambulances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
    HSE vs DFB .... aside from the professionalism of both sets of ambulance staff, I reckon I could wager my house on which is run in a more professional manner.
    Here's a clue: It ain't the one that snorts the largest departmental budget in the state like a line of cocaine and blows it all on admin for the sake of admin, and horrific management at civil servant level, and someone is now proposing that they now run the entire ambulance service countrywide? God help us.
    Possibly but see the HIQA reports:
    https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/fi...eport-2014.pdf (2014 report)
    https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/fi...nce-review.pdf (update from 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      HSE vs DFB .... aside from the professionalism of both sets of ambulance staff, I reckon I could wager my house on which is run in a more professional manner.
      Here's a clue: It ain't the one that snorts the largest departmental budget in the state like a line of cocaine and blows it all on admin for the sake of admin, and horrific management at civil servant level, and someone is now proposing that they now run the entire ambulance service countrywide? God help us.
      If you ring 999 looking for an ambulance and a DFB operators picks up the call. He will task a DFB ambulance in that sector, if one is not available, he will task a DFB ambulance from another sector. If one from another sector is not available. he will incredibly send out a Fire pump with a full crew. At no point would he have swung around on his chair and asked any of the HSE controllers if they have any crews free.
      Last edited by sofa; 4 January 2018, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
        If you ring 999 looking for an ambulance and a DFB operators picks up the call. He will task a DFB ambulance in that sector, if one is not available, he will task a DFB ambulance from another sector. If one from another sector is not available. he will incredibly send out a Fire pump with a full crew.
        ....As that appliance has a full crew of paramedics / advanced paramedics and all associated treatment equipment to start treating the patient. The aim of sending an appliance if ambulances are not immediately available is to start treatment as early as possible. Many interventions are life saving or reduce patient morbidity the earlier they are performed. Current national guidelines dictate a responder should be at certain categories of patients within 7m 59s.....responding appliances is part of complying with these guidelines. Also certain categories of patients need more than two responders present to effectively management their conditions to the standards set out by PHECC. Again 5-6 paramedics on a fire appliance is part of complying with these guidelines.

Originally posted by sofa View Post
        At no point would he have swung around on his chair and asked any of the HSE controllers if they have any crews free.
        Out of date information here Sofa. Two seperate call centres in two intirely different parts of the city. Not physically possible for him to do...although there are systems in place to allow both centres request resources from each other which are regularly and more often being used.

Not uncommon to see DFB paramedics deployed on fire appliances working alongside HSE paramedics deployed on ambulance.....remember they are all paramedics or advanced paramedics trained to exact same standard and working to exact same clinical guidelines regardless of vehicle they turn up to incident in or coulour of uniform.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
          ....As that appliance has a full crew of paramedics / advanced paramedics and all associated treatment equipment to start treating the patient. The aim of sending an appliance if ambulances are not immediately available is to start treatment as early as possible. Many interventions are life saving or reduce patient morbidity the earlier they are performed. Current national guidelines dictate a responder should be at certain categories of patients within 7m 59s.....responding appliances is part of complying with these guidelines. Also certain categories of patients need more than two responders present to effectively management their conditions to the standards set out by PHECC. Again 5-6 paramedics on a fire appliance is part of complying with these guidelines.

Out of date information here Sofa. Two seperate call centres in two intirely different parts of the city. Not physically possible for him to do...although there are systems in place to allow both centres request resources from each other which are regularly and more often being used.

Not uncommon to see DFB paramedics deployed on fire appliances working alongside HSE paramedics deployed on ambulance.....remember they are all paramedics or advanced paramedics trained to exact same standard and working to exact same clinical guidelines regardless of vehicle they turn up to incident in or coulour of uniform.
          See the HQIA report

The point sofa is making is that if a call is received by DFB for an ambulance on College Green, if the only free DFB ambulance is in Donnybrook that will be sent instead of a free NAS ambulance on Dame Street.

Comment

a framework tender is out now for (Road) ambulances (primary agency is NAS) which DF will be able to call off

Comment

I see that the Army ambulances are providing ATCA. How many are there (if not OPSEC), and are there any reserves involved (Just curious).
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

I'm not aware of any RDF personnel involved in providing cover.
                I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

I was just thinking back to hearing about when my TA unit ended up covering for an ambulance strike in the UK in the late 80's, and some of the guys worked for the ambulance service - a bit of a difficult situation...
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                    I was just thinking back to hearing about when my TA unit ended up covering for an ambulance strike in the UK in the late 80's, and some of the guys worked for the ambulance service - a bit of a difficult situation...
                    I was wondering about that, as I know at least one paramedic who is a reservist and is on strike today. The difference being in Ireland a reservist will not be forced to attend, so if he is a striking paramedic he does not have to volunteer for service.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      I was wondering about that, as I know at least one paramedic who is a reservist and is on strike today. The difference being in Ireland a reservist will not be forced to attend, so if he is a striking paramedic he does not have to volunteer for service.
                      The reservist would need to be a member of the medical corp to be in a position to asked to provide cover. I am open to correction, but I dont believe any of the RDF CMU paramedic's that are on strike. The establishment for reserve CMU detachments is quite small, so its easy to keep track of who's who.
                      I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Working...
                      X