Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed,
    we got a brief on the ground -
    1. Safety brief for all students and instructors on the dangers of rotary aircraft and a talk through of the various drills, landing scenarios, hovering, remembering the danger of rotor disc in relation to landing or hovering near sloped ground etc, ground effect, use of goggles, checking an LZ before heli arrival - we even had a couple of students instructed on how to do this and they actually carried out this role prior to the heli's arrival - marking of the ground with some sort of tell tales to assist the pilots judgement of the ground as they prepared to land (I think!)
    2. static drills conducted first in one of the billets with seating arranged as it would be in the heli,
    3. walk around of the aircraft and various parts which could kill were pointed out, operation of doors, parts of the airframe you can or cannot stand on when embarking or disembarking, told how to approach it, from the 10 and 2 positions to the front of the aircraft whilst the rotors are running, securing of bergans and weapons when on board, seat restraints, hand signals to watch for from the loadmaster and what they meant, the signal for opening the door - given whilst still in flight and then the signal to disembark.
    4. drills on the heli when static , how to get the bergans out and then disembarking of chalk leaders on both sides, then the positions to send troops to the get in all round cover but also so that they were clear of the ground effect where possible, in the end it was pretty much as simple as getting into and out of a transit van, but a lot more fun, and a lot less noisy than the Allouettes.
    AC personnel were very professional and seemed like they enjoyed it, they gunned the heli around the hills quite low and it was an impressive display of its power capability and lift advantages over the AIII's.
    Last edited by morpheus; 29 February 2016, 10:43.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Was the year pre-2008?
        See your PMs
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

"Footage taken during an operation by the Air Corps to airlift materials into Dún Aengus for remedial works. Inishmore is the largest of the Aran Islands in Galway Bay."

Comment

Comment

Those pesky Galtee-onians revolting again?!

Comment

The little-known but persistent Galtee Organisation for Altitudinal Territorial Secessionism? Yup. Them beardy types are fanatical.
                Last edited by expat01; 20 July 2016, 13:21.

Comment

Maybe they're still looking for the Galtee mountain boy?

Should be easy enough find him these days, he'd be slowing up a bit after 90+ years on the run...........

Comment

I'm afraid when I think Galtee, I think rashers...
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post

Embarrassing really.

Using a multi million euro state asset to fly a box full of paper to the mainland. I'm sure the job could be accomplished using a boat.

What a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                          Embarrassing really.

Using a multi million euro state asset to fly a box full of paper to the mainland. I'm sure the job could be accomplished using a boat.

What a waste.
                          Yea , they should have used the Naval Service Flag ship .
                          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

next time, the ballot box will be delivered by drone...

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              next time, the ballot box will be delivered by drone...
                              Write your own punchline...
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                                Write your own punchline...
                                Flamingo sometimes, just sometimes, you do drone on .....

Comment

Working...
                                X