LÉ Samuel Beckett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Was it just me of did the following not happen during the boom ?

The NS got a 14% increase in it fleet

The AC rotary wing fleet was cut by 43% although they did get much more modern and capable replacement

The AC fixed wing training fleet was cut by 39% although (see above)

It was noted that we had three replacements that were required during that time and none were signed off on.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• How many times did I say that on IMO?

Comment

• I'd disagree on the Alouettes; most of the Alouettes still in service are operated by militaries or State agencies or are in some kind of public service. They have always cost too much to run compared to American Helis, which is why the world is dotted with Bells and their spinoffs. New spares for them cost lotto money and the Don was tied into buying from Aerospatiale and specifically disallowed from buying Indian or Rumanian spares, to the point of legal action. It would be like keeping a Boeing 737-200 on the go......the ships, as Murph has correctly pointed out, are effectively wearing out just standing still. just like a parked aircraft, they require a great deal of attention when they are doing nothing, even tied to the quay wall.....In real terms, Mowags and the other modern vehicles in the DF are as demanding of attention as any modern aircraft and are less tolerant of neglect. At least, in the AMLs and M3s favour, it can be said that they took a lot of abuse and kept going, because they were as simple as an Alouette or a Landrover. I suspect that the DF didn't really grasp the level of maintenance that Mowags would demand. In Lingus, we keep our reliability in the high 90s because we have 24/7/365 maintenance, Airbus reps on hand, spares on AOG (24 hr delivery) and permanent access to whatever Airbus can do for us, as well as a hell of a lot of experienced people. We also can hire in aircraft if we have to, unlike the DF, who would let a Mowag rot before they'd lease a spare.

Comment

• Ill just leave this here so...

"He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            Ill just leave this here so...

Morph, weren't you told to put your toys away when you were finished playing, not leave 'em lying around on the mud?
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• So regarding LE Samuel Beckett what news of the sea trials?

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

• le SAMUEL BECKETT is due to sail to complete her trials on Monday morning at 0530 hrs. She is due to return two days later, and then to sail to her owners in Ireland.

Comment

• Attached 3 photos of P61 returning from round 1 of Sea Trials.

Photos courtesy of Norman Hardaker

Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	697660

Name:	056.3.4.14.jpg
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	697659

Name:	081.jpg
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	697661

L.E. SAMUEL BECKETT is due to sail to complete her trials on Monday morning at 0530 hrs. She is due to return two days later, and then to sail to her owners in Ireland.

Source
                  Last edited by A/TEL; 11 April 2014, 21:55.

Comment

• So what happens when She arrives in Cobh?

More sea trials...crew work-up...then commissioning?

Or commissioning first?

Or is it straight onto Ops?

Who delivers Her to Ireland...the builders or Her future crew...or both?

Anyway...lovely looking vessel...exciting times I'm sure to be in The Irish Navy.
                    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• In reverse, she will be delivered by her crew, most of who will have joined her before she leaves the builders

Comissioned on arrival.

Probably some work up involved and then to OPs.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        I'd disagree on the Alouettes; most of the Alouettes still in service are operated by militaries or State agencies or are in some kind of public service. They have always cost too much to run compared to American Helis, which is why the world is dotted with Bells and their spinoffs. New spares for them cost lotto money and the Don was tied into buying from Aerospatiale and specifically disallowed from buying Indian or Rumanian spares, to the point of legal action.
                        I know for a fact that other forces that still have the alouette are really struggling to keep them going and supplies of spares are increasingly hard to comeby. Eurocoper know this and are bending customers over a barrel and going in dry.

Comment

• "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"

Comment

• "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"

Comment

• The NS might want to avoid this UAV for the P60's.

Comment

• Torridge District Council website: LE Samuel Beckett is due to leave on Monday next, 1745 approx for the last time.

Comment

Working...
                                X