Defence Forces Strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apod View Post
    I think you have just summed up the major problem with the Officer Corps(and SNCO's). Too worried about their careers and moving up instead of looking after their troops.
    Other Armies laugh at us when they hear we have representative associations as they retort "That's what our Officers are for".

The troops are not stupid.They can tell who the good Leaders are as they put themselves last.

It has never ceased to amaze me how much an officer can accomplish once they stop worrying about the next promotion.
    There are militaries with much worse unionisation than ours. The Finns down tools when they reach their weekly work hours regardless of what is going on. They will get up and walk out of a meeting and say "my hours are done"

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
      There are militaries with much worse unionisation than ours. The Finns down tools when they reach their weekly work hours regardless of what is going on. They will get up and walk out of a meeting and say "my hours are done"
      Yeah but at the end of the day we are professionals and they have a conscript mentality.
      It's going to be fun for us trying to implement the WTD. We need to do it but by the same token we can't have people just walking off the job in the middle of a task.

Anyway. We digress.Perhaps we should open a new thread on Retention and maybe try to come up with some outside of the box ideas that might help?
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

It will be counted if they try and leave.

Have a look at the strength of the FLR

It isn’t enforced. As at 31/8/12 the strength of the FLR was 264 all ranks. FLR Personnel haven’t been called up for training since 1987 (there have been NS Officers who have been) and the annual cost is still € ~60k. Source for that is the RDF VFM.

If the contractual obligations were enforced the FLR strength would be a lot higher.

Have a look at the current FLR strength on IKON ..... bet it is even lower (which considering the amount of people leaving it should be much higher).

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Have a look at the strength of the FLR

It isn’t enforced. As at 31/8/12 the strength of the FLR was 264 all ranks. FLR Personnel haven’t been called up for training since 1987 (there have been NS Officers who have been) and the annual cost is still € ~60k. Source for that is the RDF VFM.

If the contractual obligations were enforced the FLR strength would be a lot higher.

Have a look at the current FLR strength on IKON ..... bet it is even lower (which considering the amount of people leaving it should be much higher).
          Trust me when I tell you it is very much enforced. The reason is very few people use their exact 5yr & 9yr anniversaries as jumping off points. Even those that do pay their tenner in old money and go.

You would be very surprised how many leave, try to get residency in another country and when they say that they were in the DF and they look to see their discharge papers look to buy themselves off the FLR as they cannot get approved otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmitĂ­ View Post
            The person who must step up to the plate here (or take full responsibility) is the CoS. If pushed the "minister" will say he didn't know there was a problem as the CoS didn't tell him, and if he did etc..
            As happened some time ago on a prime time piece, where the "minister" threw the CoS under the bus.
            So it's now or never.
            Problem being falling on ones sword in an army such as ours, theres plenty will step over you to get at the position, to have any meaning others would have to refuse to fill the post.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Nothing like finding out if your leadership is up to task by looking around and seeing if anyone is still with you

Comment

In 31 years I dont think I've ever seen an FLR parade.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

As of the 28 February, the Defence Forces strength has fallen to a new low with just 8,857 troops, including Recruits, 2 Stars, Cadets and Apprentices.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                    As of the 28 February, the Defence Forces strength has fallen to a new low with just 8,857 troops, including Recruits, 2 Stars, Cadets and Apprentices.
                    And TTS’s, Leave of Absence, Career Breaks, USAC and other fulltime education, career courses (including attached Instrs), overseas, forming up for overseas, leave etc

Comment

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I know it's bad but didn't realise how bad. Do you have any idea how many recruits, 2 stars, cadets and apprentices there are at the minute? We cannot recruit our way out of this, that's plain to see. How the Dept can continue with this approach is beyond me.

Comment

The DOD see this not as a challenge but as a benefit. They are top of the class when it comes to budget underspending

Comment

The DOD see this not as a challenge but as a benefit. They are top of the class when it comes to budget underspending
                          Absolutely..... that’s how the P60s were paid for

Comment

I know a large portion of the Irish population think the Army is an unnecessary luxury - I didn't know the DoD were amongst their number...
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                              I know a large portion of the Irish population think the Army is an unnecessary luxury - I didn't know the DoD were amongst their number...
                              It seems someone in the know as set up an interesting twitter account.

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

20% of the NS is under going training
                                Irish Naval patrol ship captains are being forced to seek ‘volunteers’ to crew their vessels due to decreasing numbers available.

Comment

Working...
                                X