Thanks Thanks:  48
Likes Likes:  75
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like

Army Ranger Wing

Frontline forces: elite Ranger Wing grows in size by one-third

IRELAND'S elite military unit, the Army Ranger Wing, has increased in strength by almost one-third.

The move allows the Rangers to expand their roles overseas and at home as well as prepare for fresh tasks in line with international developments. The 30pc increase in numbers pushes the overall strength of the Wing to well over a hundred, although the military are reluctant to state an exact figure.

A greater role for the secretive unit was sanctioned by the Government as part of the re-organisation of the Defence Forces, which led to a reduction from three to two brigades and the controversial closure of barracks.

But it has not been publicly disclosed until now.

Rangers are deployed overseas, either integrated into contingents on peacekeeping or peace-enforcement missions or providing close-in protection for senior Irish officers assigned to top posts in sensitive areas. At the moment, the Rangers are serving in missions in Africa and the Balkans, while in southern Lebanon they form a small protection team for the deputy force commander of the United Nations mission at its Naqoura headquarters, Brigadier General Pat Phelan.

The Rangers first became involved as a unit in Somalia in 1994 and have since served in missions in East Timor, Liberia and Chad.

At home, the continuing terrorist activities of dissident republican factions have ensured that the Rangers have a role to play in countering that threat.

A senior officer told the Irish Independent that his team had a good working relationship with the gardai's elite anti-terror squad, the Emergency Response Unit, despite perceived rivalries in the past.

The increase in numbers has been introduced in tandem with a review of recruitment and selection methods.

Potential candidates for the Ranger Wing must now undergo a five-module course, lasting a total of 34 weeks.

But the Wing has yet to acquire a female member.

"We have never had a woman apply to join," a senior officer explained. "Maybe there is a perception that they might not be welcome here but that is certainly not true".
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29881983.html

2. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes pym, Goldie fish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember an individual female saying in An Cosantoir (when it was the anniversary of women joining the DF) that she attempted selection.

4. Likes hedgehog liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horses for courses

6. Dislikes Graylion disliked this post
    Private 2* The Connaught Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    I remember an individual female saying in An Cosantoir (when it was the anniversary of women joining the DF) that she attempted selection.
    it would be great it come to pass to have women in it - wonder what the reaction of those in it might be to it though.

one ther other hand - the increase in ARW is to be welcomed - people are proud of the aRW and it is great PR from the DF too. Raises the profile in a real way.

8. Dislikes sofa disliked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope they never, or are never forced to, indulge in political correctness.

10. Thanks sofa, apod, Sluggie, rod and serpent thanked for this post
    Dislikes Graylion disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it somewhat strange that there are ARW personnel in CP roles. In most other Western armies, as far as I can see, this role is an MP role. In the BA, for instance, CP is a role done largely by the RMP
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

12. Thanks RoyalGreenJacket thanked for this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    So they've increased the ARW, but reduced it's resource pool over the years? I doubt they'll reduce the selection/training criteria, so would it not take a while to build that unit up to it's new establishment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, it's the Independent, wouldn't believe a word. Simply do not believe there are no female members, women make so many black surveillance ops far easier to carry out.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here come the Rangeretttes .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

16. Likes RoyalGreenJacket liked this post
    Dislikes Graylion disliked this post
    bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Here come the Rangeretttes .
    no women in arw that night they tried to take spike from a bunch of sailors.....m.l.

Post Thanks / Like
    I served with the lady, she did attempt selection in the late 80's. A very fit and smart soldier.

19. Thanks DeV, Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes hedgehog, Herald, Graylion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Eh, it's the Independent, wouldn't believe a word. Simply do not believe there are no female members, women make so many black surveillance ops far easier to carry out.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    So they've increased the ARW, but reduced it's resource pool over the years? I doubt they'll reduce the selection/training criteria, so would it not take a while to build that unit up to it's new establishment?
    By resource pool you mean pool to select from?

Not everyone who passes Selection (4 weeks) gets to go on the Basic Skills Course (6 months) and then gets the green beret - it depends on the number of positions available.

That is why there is 2 different coloured tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    I find it somewhat strange that there are ARW personnel in CP roles. In most other Western armies, as far as I can see, this role is an MP role. In the BA, for instance, CP is a role done largely by the RMP
    Largely but not always (sometimes both)

From 2005 - http://historical-debates.oireachtas...512070045.html

21. Thanks Truck Driver, Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes Graylion liked this post
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not everyone who passes Selection (4 weeks) gets to go on the Basic Skills Course (6 months) and then gets the green beret - it depends on the number of positions available.
    That system has been replaced with a new eight month SOF course.

23. Thanks DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    That system has been replaced with a new eight month SOF course.
    I assume it is still after Selection?

Private 2* The Connaught Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletour View Post
    Saying one would like to see a woman in the ARW is not a PC thing - if they make the grade and pass the same selection criteria as the men how would it be a bad thing to have a woman in it???

For females either in the DF or thinking of joining role models for them, who have achieved in the DF, is a good thing and this would be another.

26. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that is the case, I presume there are a few females in G2 that they can work with?

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletour View Post
    Unfortunately they more than likely will have to..Its a thin edge but just look at the debate particularly in the us re the role of women in the armed forces.
    Even the Brits who tend to have a more practical, ( beacuse I guess they have a lot of practice) are forced to include for less than op reasons. Its politics gone mad ...

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    This has been in the pipeline for a long time.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

30. Thanks SwiftandSure thanked for this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    This has been in the pipeline for a long time.
    I suppose with the improving and more proactive DF fitness culture and professionalism it's not too difficult to fill 100+ SOF vacancies from 9,500 PDF.
    Last edited by SwiftandSure; 3rd January 2014 at 10:59. Reason: Decided to remove my chauvinist comments :-)

32. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MOD: There are no females in the ARW. What J2(Yes it's "J") have or have not is their own business and will not be discussed here.Any females who do apply or subsequently pass Mod 1 of the SOFQ Course will have passed the exact same as their male counterparts,and deserve the same respect, as there is no watering down of standards.Period.

ARW are not the only ones in the DF who do CP. MP's do aswell. UKSF are trained and have done CP in the past.

This is NOT to turn into another DF vs BA pissing contest or "should females be in the Army" one.if it does the thread will be shut.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume it is still after Selection?

The separate selection course as it was is gone. Its all one SOF course now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B Inman View Post
    I served with the lady, she did attempt selection in the late 80's. A very fit and smart soldier.
    I know of a Soldier (female) who attempted selection. She got injured but she told me she was treated exactly the same as the blokes - no more/ no less. She was fit as a fiddle and a good Soldier, and a great blokess as well.

I would imagine we are all 3 talking about the same person.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

36. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    no women in arw that night they tried to take spike from a bunch of sailors.....m.l.
    But we had the " The Ranger " of all Rangers ,
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Post Thanks / Like
    The comments below the article are rediculous, why do people have such a negative attitude towards the DF?

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    The comments below the article are rediculous, why do people have such a negative attitude towards the DF?
    I think that's the byproduct of pretend neutrality. The perception of an Army that doesn't fight for anything is therefore useless in the eyes of morons (general public).

Thread Information