Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Ranger Wing

Frontline forces: elite Ranger Wing grows in size by one-third

IRELAND'S elite military unit, the Army Ranger Wing, has increased in strength by almost one-third.

The move allows the Rangers to expand their roles overseas and at home as well as prepare for fresh tasks in line with international developments. The 30pc increase in numbers pushes the overall strength of the Wing to well over a hundred, although the military are reluctant to state an exact figure.

A greater role for the secretive unit was sanctioned by the Government as part of the re-organisation of the Defence Forces, which led to a reduction from three to two brigades and the controversial closure of barracks.

But it has not been publicly disclosed until now.

Rangers are deployed overseas, either integrated into contingents on peacekeeping or peace-enforcement missions or providing close-in protection for senior Irish officers assigned to top posts in sensitive areas. At the moment, the Rangers are serving in missions in Africa and the Balkans, while in southern Lebanon they form a small protection team for the deputy force commander of the United Nations mission at its Naqoura headquarters, Brigadier General Pat Phelan.

The Rangers first became involved as a unit in Somalia in 1994 and have since served in missions in East Timor, Liberia and Chad.

At home, the continuing terrorist activities of dissident republican factions have ensured that the Rangers have a role to play in countering that threat.

A senior officer told the Irish Independent that his team had a good working relationship with the gardai's elite anti-terror squad, the Emergency Response Unit, despite perceived rivalries in the past.

The increase in numbers has been introduced in tandem with a review of recruitment and selection methods.

Potential candidates for the Ranger Wing must now undergo a five-module course, lasting a total of 34 weeks.

But the Wing has yet to acquire a female member.

"We have never had a woman apply to join," a senior officer explained. "Maybe there is a perception that they might not be welcome here but that is certainly not true".

I remember an individual female saying in An Cosantoir (when it was the anniversary of women joining the DF) that she attempted selection.

Comment

Horses for courses

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        I remember an individual female saying in An Cosantoir (when it was the anniversary of women joining the DF) that she attempted selection.
        it would be great it come to pass to have women in it - wonder what the reaction of those in it might be to it though.

one ther other hand - the increase in ARW is to be welcomed - people are proud of the aRW and it is great PR from the DF too. Raises the profile in a real way.

Comment

I hope they never, or are never forced to, indulge in political correctness.

Comment

I find it somewhat strange that there are ARW personnel in CP roles. In most other Western armies, as far as I can see, this role is an MP role. In the BA, for instance, CP is a role done largely by the RMP
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

So they've increased the ARW, but reduced it's resource pool over the years? I doubt they'll reduce the selection/training criteria, so would it not take a while to build that unit up to it's new establishment?

Comment

Eh, it's the Independent, wouldn't believe a word. Simply do not believe there are no female members, women make so many black surveillance ops far easier to carry out.

Comment

Here come the Rangeretttes .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                    Here come the Rangeretttes .
                    no women in arw that night they tried to take spike from a bunch of sailors.....m.l.

Comment

I served with the lady, she did attempt selection in the late 80's. A very fit and smart soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest View Post
                        Eh, it's the Independent, wouldn't believe a word. Simply do not believe there are no female members, women make so many black surveillance ops far easier to carry out.

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                        So they've increased the ARW, but reduced it's resource pool over the years? I doubt they'll reduce the selection/training criteria, so would it not take a while to build that unit up to it's new establishment?
                        By resource pool you mean pool to select from?

Not everyone who passes Selection (4 weeks) gets to go on the Basic Skills Course (6 months) and then gets the green beret - it depends on the number of positions available.

That is why there is 2 different coloured tabs.

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        I find it somewhat strange that there are ARW personnel in CP roles. In most other Western armies, as far as I can see, this role is an MP role. In the BA, for instance, CP is a role done largely by the RMP
                        Largely but not always (sometimes both)

From 2005 - http://historical-debates.oireachtas...512070045.html

Comment

Not everyone who passes Selection (4 weeks) gets to go on the Basic Skills Course (6 months) and then gets the green beret - it depends on the number of positions available.
                          That system has been replaced with a new eight month SOF course.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                            That system has been replaced with a new eight month SOF course.
                            I assume it is still after Selection?

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                              I hope they never, or are never forced to, indulge in political correctness.
                              Saying one would like to see a woman in the ARW is not a PC thing - if they make the grade and pass the same selection criteria as the men how would it be a bad thing to have a woman in it???

For females either in the DF or thinking of joining role models for them, who have achieved in the DF, is a good thing and this would be another.

Comment

Working...
                              X