Army Ranger Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In other news:

The Minister said he was committed to increasing the strength of the Unit.

“I am satisfied that on-going coordination and liaison meetings take place between the Defence Forces and An Garda Síochána to ensure that the security of the State is given top priority. In recognising the dynamic nature of the security environment, initiatives to enhance and support interoperability include the development of agreed protocols, joint seminars on response to a terrorist attack and exercises on crisis management.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Coveney announce an increase in the units numbers after one of the Paris attacks a few years ago, did that actually happen?

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
        Has he passed selection?

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Coveney announce an increase in the units numbers after one of the Paris attacks a few years ago, did that actually happen?
        Can't see the ARW dropping standards.

No shortage of guys going on selection AFAIK

There nothing can be done

Answer him better to reinstate ARW allowance to the full amount

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          Expanding the unit has been on the cards for years, cpl Willie or further back maybe
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Nice video. I followed it as far as " I'm a man of the Fianna", then there is something about unity, maybe comradeship? And courage?

Comment

• It's great how much the videos have come on from a year or 2 ago when they were still flogging the life less ordinary thing with the shite music!
              I've never seen the visible lasers turned on on their rifles - is it actually that visible or was some video editing creative license applied?
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Good read here about the early days of the unit.
                The Irish Defence Forces Ranger badge, worn by those who have earned it at the top of the left sleeve, is modelled on the American Ranger…
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Good read here about the early days of the unit.
                  https://medium.com/@comdtbrohan/ranger-8935619273b3
                  Some great stories in that blog

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                    It's great how much the videos have come on from a year or 2 ago when they were still flogging the life less ordinary thing with the shite music!
                    I've never seen the visible lasers turned on on their rifles - is it actually that visible or was some video editing creative license applied?
                    It only takes a small amount of smoke or steam in the air to make the laser visible, so one stun grenade through the door and away you go. Next time you have a shower turn off the lights and shine a laser pointer through the steam, it's very visible.
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• People apparently play with a lot of different things whilst having a shower but laser pointers is a new one on me!

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Good read here about the early days of the unit.
                        https://medium.com/@comdtbrohan/ranger-8935619273b3
                        Read that from a link on ARRSE. Fantastic read and a great officer by sounds of it.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	113696_censored.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	698254

Click image for larger version

Name:	113696_censored.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	698257

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern in Suai, East Timor, with members of the Irish ARW platoon (No 2 IRCON) deployed to UNTAET PKF. MAR 2000.

Name:	113694_censored.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	698255

Name:	113694_censored.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	698256
                          Last edited by cnn; 23 June 2019, 21:30.

Comment

• Recently the #ArmyRangerWing took part in the Combat Team Conference 2019 in Germany placing 5 of 43 teams from around the world. CTC is organised by GSG9 and started in 1983. It sustains and enhances cooperation between SOF

Comment

• Two questions for those that might know:
                              1. Do personnel attached to ARW (non SOFQ courses qualified) wear unit beret or standard corps beret, e.g. logs pers, medics, etc. Are there permanent attachments or as required (opsec rules obviously)?
                              2. Can officers be attached into unit for "non- operational" roles as required, or do aall officers have to have passed SOFQ course?
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                                Two questions for those that might know:
                                1. Do personnel attached to ARW (non SOFQ courses qualified) wear unit beret or standard corps beret, e.g. logs pers, medics, etc. Are there permanent attachments or as required (opsec rules obviously)?
                                2. Can officers be attached into unit for "non- operational" roles as required, or do aall officers have to have passed SOFQ course?
                                1. Standard headdress - met a guy one day at the DFTC open day, whom I knew from his parent Corps, and he was on attachment to the Wing at the time, by virtue of his required quals, but not "badged"
                                2. Don't know the answer to this one
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X