Russian Navy probes UK waters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Navy probes UK waters

A fully armed Royal Navy warship was scrambled to challenge a missile-carrying Russian vessel in the waters off Britain just days before Christmas, defence sources revealed last night.

In a calculated test of Britain's reduced naval capacity in the North Sea, the Russian warship came within 30 miles of the coast.

It was detected nearing Scotland, but the only ship the Royal Navy had available to respond after Ministry of Defence cuts was in Portsmouth, resulting in a delay of 24 hours until it was in position. . . .
    A fully armed Royal Navy warship was scrambled to challenge a missile-carrying Russian vessel in the waters off Britain just days before Christmas,

And from the department of irony:
    The SNP has been critical of the scrapping of the Nimrod fleet, leaving the UK with no dedicated maritime patrol aircraft.

Odd timing, politically...

" the Briitish crew watched as the Russian ship retreated.." Load of jingo shy te,at least there were no Arthur Bachelors aboard either unit.

Comment

Am I missing something here?

Russian warship passes within 30 miles of the Scottish coast...in International Waters...as they are entitled to do?

Royal Navy warship tasked to monitor their movements...as common sense would dictate.

Sensationalist journalism...about a non-story?
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

Russian warship passes within 30 miles of the Scottish coast...in International Waters...as they are entitled to do?

Royal Navy warship tasked to monitor their movements...as common sense would dictate.

It is being sensationalised - one would think the Russians were about to launch their missiles against Scotland

That said, it was enough of an incident that it warranted tasking a Destroyer from Portsmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

That occurred to me, too. Limit is usually 12 miles or so, isn't it ?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Surley it would have been better to ignore the Russians and leave them guessing as to what the RN response time might have been . As it was the RN tipped their hand so to speak .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
              Surley it would have been better to ignore the Russians and leave them guessing as to what the RN response time might have been . As it was the RN tipped their hand so to speak .
              thats certainly true, but the oppostite side of that coin is that leaving the Russian ship to its own devices has its own downsides - it might, for example, been interested in Submarine movements, or sticking its unwanted nose into GR4 exercises from Lossiemouth, or getting a nice close feel for the RAF's air search radars on the east coast.

i agree, absolutely, that responding to it tells the Russians things we'd rather they didn't know about our surface surveilance capability and our ability to respond - but letting them roam about unhindered also has a cost.

Comment

it might, for example, been interested in Submarine movements, or sticking its unwanted nose into GR4 exercises from Lossiemouth, or getting a nice close feel for the RAF's air search radars on the east coast.

Could have just googled it instead....
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

At least, they could have sent a GR4 for a look around or better still, sent Vladimir Putin a photo of the radar plot of the Astute-class submarine ,which was undoubtedly tracking the Russians anyway. I know what the Russians would be more frightened of.

regards
                  GttC

Comment

I think the weather had a lot to do with where the Russian ship ended up, but stories like:-

" Russian Naval vessel seeks shelter from storm" dont sell papers :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                      the SigInt alone from getting upclose and personal with the Russian vessel would be worthwhile - yes standard traffic would be encrypted but you can still gain a lot from such a close encounter.
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

In 1982 the lack of a RN presense/response led to conflict ,lessons have been learned,but the manner in which the media packaged the matter is pure drivel,all that was missing was that the Russians fled when the T45 hoisted "england expects ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                          I think the weather had a lot to do with where the Russian ship ended up, but stories like:-

" Russian Naval vessel seeks shelter from storm" dont sell papers :-p
                          You are indeed correct. The below from the MoD :

The Portsmouth-based destroyer sailed through high sea states and storm force winds to welcome the group of 6 vessels, including a 65,000-tonne aircraft carrier. Due to bad weather, the Russian fleet anchored in the Moray Firth before heading down the east coast of the UK. As a sign of the friendship between the 2 navies, goodwill messages were exchanged between the ships on New Year’s Eve.

Comment

Maybe the RN framed the slow response to protest against the cuts .

Comment

Yet another Channel dash.

Last edited by danno; 17 April 2017, 10:44.

Comment

Working...
                              X