Upgrade to mowag fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to mowag fleet

It's been announced that the mowag fleet is going being upgraded with m151 protector rws over the next five years deliveries starting in September 2014

Janes | The latest defence and security news from Janes - the trusted source for defence intelligence

Will be interesting to see if a few of these are added to the mix

Comment

Is this likely to replace the manned turrets or just suplement them?
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Is it a fad?

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
          Is this likely to replace the manned turrets or just suplement them?
          The only vehicles I've ever seen with both a turret and a RWS are MBTs

Comment

Makes sense on so many fronts to replace the man in the hatch with a RWS.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

another step towards mech inf
              who threw the smoke in the van

Comment

Their is nine being done as far as I know.
                The cars will be taking from the 1st mech (bloods) ordnance will remove the fvt800 turret and weld in a cover plate then the car will be shipped to mowag for a re-fit.
                I hope they use cars from the leb as they are in the worst state at the moment.
                Also the 9 cars will be distributed to cav units

Comment

I assume that armour plate will be welded in place?

So the infantry are loosing infantry MOWAGs to the Cav ?

Comment

Part of an overall upgrade package.Removing the turrets to make the cars lighter so they can be uparmoured.Also new comms suite.
                    RWS has pro's and con's.You have to go outside to reload or clear stoppages.Ask the Cav lads on the first Chad Bn why thats a bad thing

PS:All our HMG's both mounted and ground role are being replaced this year.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I think I said it on here before about the hmg,s im not sure if that's a signed deal yet.
                      Also im not sure what type of cover will be welded in place, would we really need an armoured plate??
                      One of the turrets been removed I think is been refitted for the bloods as a training aid

Comment

Yes of course you need an armoured plate to replace a ten foot square hole in the roof of an armoured vehicle! Also you need to add a hatch to allow the RWS to be loaded or stoppages cleared, as APOD mentioned above.

At least they finally realised the 3 Cavalry squadrons can't survive with just 15 Mowags.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I,d imagine the crew will have to make do with the rear hatch that is in place already.
                          Ten foot square hole?? Have you seen a mowag with the turret of ,the hole is no were near ten foot or square
                          I was saying is an armoured plate needed as the car won't be out if there is a real chance of air attack attacks a the gaping hole will have the rws mount on it
                          Last edited by kaiser; 11 January 2014, 15:27.

Comment

What about attacks form high buildings / positions.
                            It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                            It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                            It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                            It was the year everything changed.

Comment

That's fair enough .
                              If there are going with an armoured plate specifically over a high grade rolled steel they might gave to source that from mowag too
                              I wonder is welding an armoured plate any different that that of other steel??

Comment

Working...
                              X