Clear All

• A Century On – Remembering World War One in Europe, 1914-2014

A Century On – Remembering World War One in Europe, 1914-2014

National Museum of Ireland –
    Decorative Arts and History,
    Collins Barracks

Venue: Palatine Room
    Saturday 1 February 10am – 1pm

How has Europe remembered and commemorated the First World War in the last one hundred years? Join historians Prof John Horne, Dr Judith Devlin, Curator Lar Joye and others at the National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts and History as we discuss Irish and European perspectives on the conflict as well as centenary projects currently underway in Ireland and the UK.

For full programme please see link below.

Admission is free but booking is required in advance: bookings@museum.ie
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.
Working...
X