NSR Recruit Camp Equipment List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSR Recruit Camp Equipment List

Alright, we've had the FCA list, what should a budding naval reservist bring with him/her to Haulbowline for the week?
    If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Below is the text from a list I hand out to recruits pre recruit training course.

Note to all current NSR personnel: The term "camp" is an army term and is not to be used henceforth.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    What to bring:
    Every single piece of uniform you have been issued with.
    A small padlock and two keys.
    Hangars
    Flip-flops
    Shoe polish (Black (Kiwi or Nugget)), an old toothbrush and a soft cloth
    Nail clippers
    Runners (or Tackies as they are known in Limerick)
    Training gear, i.e. shorts, t-shirts and tracksuits
    An old tracksuit (For firefighting)
    As many socks and as much under-wear as you can carry
    Soap (post firefighting, unless you like the three day mascara effect)
    washing gear and shaving gear
    Washing powder
    2 Towels (min)
    Needle and thread (Black and white)
    Sleeping bag and pillowcase
    Civilian clothing (for going out at night)
    Swimming attire
    A torch
    Paper, pens, markers
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''

NSR recruit courses are "Dry", there is no drinking while you are a recruit so hangover cures are NOT required.
    No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
    No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Proper order too.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Any chance you have a link to that army recruit camp list?? ive searched and cant find it :(

-thanks-
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

NSR recruit courses are "Dry", there is no drinking while you are a recruit so hangover cures are NOT required
          How does it affect the camp? Wish the FCA had the balls to do the same.....

Comment

It has been a policy in NS since the early days to have all ships "dry" when at sea. Carrying this rule to shore for recruits is easy to follow.Its a culture that already is accepted by most members,especially those who run the Bar.
            Not so in the DPM wearers though.Up to recently in the RDF it was impossible to enforce such a rule,as the bar staff would be uncooperative at best.These days the best you can do is envorce a strict policy of No ID,No Alcohol.

However i know of one camp which imposed strict Hours for the mess,with the result that local Off Licences made a killing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vice Admiral
              Below is the text from a list I hand out to recruits pre recruit training course.

Note to all current NSR personnel: The term "camp" is an army term and is not to be used henceforth.

What is it called then?

Comment

WTF? Most of our NCOs call it camp, and many of them refer to the tarmac outside the door as the "main deck" for parade purposes.

So what is it supposed to be called?
                If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

The correct title is now Recruit Course. Vice Admiral is leading a campaign to stamp out honky words like "camp".

I fear he may find that old habits die very hard.

Comment

Honky?
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

The fact is "camp" perfectly describes most of Vice admirals activities....

Honkey is a sluggie term for those who wear the DPM

Comment

Sluggie, got a few more words I can call DPM-mers? Have a pair of cpl freinds who won't stop calling me salty, fishy, you name it........

Now I mean DPM specific, not just calling them sheep-s**gers or w**kers (which, I pain to point out, is NOT my general opinion of......of.......honkys!) :-patriot: :-patriot:

-Me.

Comment

My blood boils when I hear someone in blue saying that word, it sounds like a boy scouts jamboree or a cake sale.

It may take 10 years to get the word out of common usage but by god i'll die trying.

As for having no alcohol on the course, it's easy. All the recruits are just that - recruits. They have never been away with the NSR before so they don't know the difference. There are no A/B's there and a bare minimum of NCO's and Officers - who can of course partake of a couple of tasty beverages of an evening.

It would almost be harder to allow them to drink, the NS nearly always have recruits on the base now, how could we allow our recruits into the Mess and the NS recruits have to stay in the Dry canteen?
                          No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                          No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

The term "sandbag " has been popular for manys the year.

Comment

Careful now.

Comment

Working...
                              X