No announcement yet.

NSR Recruit Camp Equipment List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSR recruit courses are "Dry", there is no drinking while you are a recruit so hangover cures are NOT required
    no drinking in the mess maybe, but the launch always provides welcome relief. The dry course for recruits is only a new idea in the last couple of years anyway. You can drink away at sea once at anchor leading to certain ships acquiring the title of "floating pub".

{Nautical phrases edited by Moderator to please the pedantic brigade}
    Last edited by macca; 2 February 2004, 18:43.
    There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
    Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus
      Any chance you have a link to that army recruit camp list?

Regards etc

Comment

FCA Recruit camps have been dry in 11Bn for two years

Comment

Whats the story with Knives for recruit training? Is the state issuing them yet? Opinel used to be the best for ropework,but I have seen leatherman and Gerber in use a lot lately.
          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

The stores will not issue rigging kits as yet to us, the cost is prohibitive at approx €50.
            Some buy their own. A rigging kit has three tools,
            1. A knife, this knife has no tip - it is rounded so it is harder to stab yourself, your lifejacket or the searider. It's blade is approx 100mm long 25mm broad.
            2. A pliars
            3. A marlinspike.
            I know someone is going to ask so;
            A marlinspike is a steel rod about 180mm long with a flattened end that has a long eye or opening in it. Designed for splicing where it is used much like a needle and also untying siezed knots it finds hundreds of other uses from opening tins of paint to punching holes in things that need holes punched in them.
            The three are worn in one leather scabbard around the waist or over the shoulder if in a typhoon suit.

It's half the price af a leatherman and will last for decades.

The Opinel and leatherman are IMHO next to useless because they require 2 handed operation. When you REALLY need your knife you need it very fast and you're usually hanging onto something at the time.

Do not bring non-issue knives to the base during your recruits course, they are prohibited as a rule because this gives carte blanche to any nutter to bring any collection of cutlery they want to.
            No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
            No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

thanks for the army recruit link!
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Damn, here's me with a Victorinox Skipper knife, and I can't bring it......oh well.
                If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slacker View Post
                  Damn, here's me with a Victorinox Skipper knife, and I can't bring it......oh well.
                  Anyone out there with an updated list for recruit training? It's been only 14 years since the original thread!

I'm assuming the course is still dry (a good thing in my book)?

Comment

Working...
                  X