• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Warfare Training

Some pics from 5 CMBG's annual winter warfare exercise:

More pics at link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Looks cold - what special measures are in place for hypothermia casualties?
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

There are no special measures; actually there are not that many cold-related casualties. Before Soldiers can participate in an exercise like this one, they must attend a Winter Warfare Course - Basic, taught at unit level every year. There is also a Winter Warfare Course - Advanced for leaders.
      We have good winter equipment, consisting of a section-level (10 man) tent, naphta stove and lantern, all carried in a toboggan (a section sled pulled by 3 Soldiers on snowshoes) along with fuel , rations and other collective equipment. It is all older technology, but works well.

The personal equipment is carried in a rucksack. The section quickly learns to be comfortable in the tent, and quickly establishes a routine and SOPs for setting it up and taking it down quickly.

We normally go with 72 hours worth of supplies, and are resupplied every 48 hours.
      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
        being Canadian?

Comment

today in Canada....it's a balmy -40C with sunny spells
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post

Walk it off, sissy.

Comment

Jungle....have you ever had any dealings with The Canadian Rangers?
              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                Jungle....have you ever had any dealings with The Canadian Rangers?
                Yes, on a few occasions. They operate in their local area and are extremely competent in land nav and survival in the Arctic. They are employed as guides and advisors when units are sent to operate up north.

My first deployment to the Arctic was as a Trooper in a Pathfinder Platoon; we flew on a C-130 for 6 hours to a location on Baffin Island, and we jumped with all our gear so we could operate for about 10 days. We then moved about 8 kms and recced the objective and it's approaches, then guided a Commando unit to the assault. On a clear day, we could see Greenland to the east. On the morning of the jump, it was -60c; sunrise was around 1000 hrs, and sunset around 1400. That was one of the tough goes I have been on...

Never give up!!"

Comment

Here's an example of a section tent set up during the EX last week.

Notice all the eqpt remains outside, including the weapons. When we into the tent, we only bring our mattress and sleeping bag carrier. The weapons stay outside to prevent condensation, which causes stoppages due to the weapons freezing up.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                    Here's an example of a section tent set up during the EX last week.

Notice all the eqpt remains outside, including the weapons. When we into the tent, we only bring our mattress and sleeping bag carrier. The weapons stay outside to prevent condensation, which causes stoppages due to the weapons freezing up.
                    I'm assuming you have a stag on to keep watch when you leave your weapons out
                    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Yes, and stove watch inside.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Do you ever use snow-holes Jungle?

-60...thats a tough tough environment to be operating in
                        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                          ...it was -60c...
                          i'd just cry like a girl.

i've done Norway, i've done BATUS, i've done winter in Afghanistan, but -60c is just beyond my imagination. i must admit though, if i could get any exchange posting there was, i'd really fancy the Danish SF teams who do a 6 month, over-winter, dog/sledge soveriegnty patrol on Greenland... now that would be tasty.

Comment

Do you ever use snow-holes Jungle?
                            Only in survival situations; we do use igloos sometimes, that we build with our Ranger guides.

-60...thats a tough tough environment to be operating in
                            Yes, it is. And when you jump, you're flying at about 240 kmh, so the wind chill factor is through the roof !!

Ropebag, some guys do cry like girls... actually, a couple of years after my first trip to the Arctic, we brought a Coy from the French Army Alpine Infantry (7e Bataillon de Chasseurs Alpins) to Pelly Bay, a small village near the edge of the Arctic ocean. We airlanded at the airfield, and the temps were not quite as cold as those on Baffin Island, but they had a very hard time.

And yes, some of them cried...
                            Last edited by Jungle; 10 February 2014, 23:31.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Just back from my first ever Norway deployment. I don't see what the fuss is about!...

...LOL mildest winter in the history of Setermoen apparently. And on top of that, the scran when on camp was the dogs bollix! However, wether with 80lbs of kit or without, I cannot ski for shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X