Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curator's Talk: The Irish Soldier on Film - Sunday 2nd March 2014 at Collins Barracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curator's Talk: The Irish Soldier on Film - Sunday 2nd March 2014 at Collins Barracks

Curator’s Talk:

The Irish Soldier on Film
    Sunday 2nd March 2014 at 3.00 – 3.45pm

An important element of the exhibition Soldiers and Chiefs is rare film footage capturing Irish military history from the early 20th century. Join curator and film archivist Lar Joye in his talk, which will bring these films into focus.

Venue: National Museum of Ireland – Decorative Arts & History, Collins Barracks

Free admission and no booking required, places allocated on a first come basis 30 minutes before talk starts.
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.
Working...
X