Ministerial Air Transport Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
    There is precedent, is there not? One of the Lebanon hostages was brought back by Government Jet in the 80s.

NTM
    Correct. Brian Keenan. After over 4 years as a hostage.

Comment

I agree with the lads on this one

SHe was an innocent victim in all of this

and I would prefer my money spent on genuinely decent people like this lady

than Mary H and Dick Spring and O DOnoghue-

With your line of thinking the Helis shouldnt do the transplant dashes either

or are we picking you up wrong
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
        What are you getting at?
        She made her own way to the Sudan why not make her own way back.

She endured a terrible time in captivity.
        Yeah, she looks awful doesn't she. No eggs benedict for breakfast for 3 months. Terrible time.

I certainly have no problem with my tax money being used to bring home an Irish citizen who put herself in harms way to help others less fortunate and endured great hardship for it. Do you?
        Yes.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Yeah, she looks awful doesn't she. No eggs benedict for breakfast for 3 months. Terrible time.
          Really? So how would you categorize this...

Up to 18 armed men then held them captive.

'There were mock assassinations on a few occasions so it was extremely scary and we were always anxious and stressed and upset until the minute we got out,' said Ms Commins.

'We'd be told to kneel on our knees and they would shoot around us.

'Obviously, the first time that happened we thought we were actually going to be shot and each time we think, OK, I hope it's a mock, but you do never know.
          I'm going out on a limb to say that eggs benedict were the least of her worries.
          There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post
            I'm going out on a limb to say that eggs benedict were the least of her worries.
            Exactly. You'd think she had more things to worry about wouldn't you?
            sigpic

Comment

Do the Govt not have a duty of care to her by way of their Providing funding to Overseas Aid?
              Did the Dept of Foreign Affairs tell Irish Citizens to leave Sudan recently?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyshirt View Post
                Do the Govt not have a duty of care to her by way of their Providing funding to Overseas Aid?
                I doubt it.

Did the Dept of Foreign Affairs tell Irish Citizens to leave Sudan recently?
                No.

From the Dept of Foreign Affairs website

SAFETY & SECURITY

We advise Irish citizens thinking of travel to Sudan to reconsider their need to do so.
                On 4 March 2009 the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for President Bashir. A number of large anti-Western demonstrations have taken place in Sudan since the ICC process began. Irish citizens presently in Khartoum are advised to exercise caution and avoid all public gatherings and protests, and to keep themselves informed of developments.
                Irish citizens are advised against all travel to the Darfur region, where the situation remains extremely unstable, and more generally to Southern Sudan. We advise against non-essential travel to other parts of the country, particularly border areas with Eritrea, Uganda and the DRC.
                In May 2008 there were attacks by rebel forces close to the capital Khartoum.
                There is a risk of terrorism in all parts of Sudan and in the capital, Khartoum.
                sigpic

Comment

There is of course regular flights direct from Sudan to Dublin!

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                    She made her own way to the Sudan why not make her own way back.
                    Of course it is infinitely more important for state aircraft to be used for vital state national security issues as:

-Dick Springs bad back making the drive to Kerry too uncomfortable to endure the drive in a state car with a driver doing all the work.

-The opening of Off Licences in the West.

-The transportation of John "Bull" O'Donoghue to inconsequential functions.

Nope, a decent Irish citizen who went to a warzone to help out poor starving and dying displaced people in probably the biggest humanitarian disaster zone on the planet shouldn't dare set foot inside any government aircraft. I wonder if she would have had to go in the first place if there were masses of oil in Darfur and the international community had stepped in years ago?

Did she ask for the Government jet to bring her home? I'd say she would have taken a cabin on a merchant ship to get out of there after the time she endured.

This girl wasn't looking for 5 star hotels or holidays after her ordeal. Just eggs bennedict. Fair play to her.

To quote Kevin Myers column today:

SO the government jet finally got a deserving passenger, Sharon Commins, after her three months' captivity at the hands of some incomprehensible band of terrorists in Sudan. Good.

Comment

I think Myers is channelling me....

Or maybe... I am Kevin Myers, Auther, Broadcaster...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I wouldn't begrudge her a seat in that jet any day.I'd even give GH a go in it, if ti stopped fatarse Harney using State aircraft to go and open off-licenses.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

I think Myers is channelling me....

Or maybe... I am Kevin Myers, Auther, Broadcaster...
                          Best of luck with the new book.
                          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Of course it is infinitely more important for state aircraft to be used for vital state national security issues as:
                            Flying a wannabe Lady Bountiful back home isn't a vital state national security issue either.

To quote Kevin Myers column today:
                            Yeah, KM is a big fan of people like Sharon.
                            sigpic

Comment

Groundhog, are you trying to wind everyone up or are you actually just a small-minded, spiteful clown as your posts seem to portray you? You're something else.
                              "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Did her choice of eggs really offend you to this extent?

Comment

Working...
                                X