• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Talks: How the Rising was Armed and Understanding 1916

Special Talks: How the Rising was Armed and Understanding 1916

National Museum of Ireland – Decorative Arts and History, Collins Barracks
    Saturday 26th April

Marking the centenary of the Howth gun-running and the 98th anniversary of the 1916 Rising at Collins Barracks there will be two special public talks and a historical re-enactment on Clarke Square.

More information below or go to the Museum’s website.

How the Rising was Armed
    Saturday 26 April 12 – 12.30pm

This weekend marks the centenary of the gun-running into Larne, Bangor and Donaghadee by the Ulster Volunteer Force, which was swiftly followed by the Howth gun-running in July 1914. The rifles and ammunition smuggled into Howth on board the yacht Asgard and into Kilcoole by Kelpie and Chotah would arm the Irish Volunteers in preparation for the 1916 Rising.
    Join Sandra Heise, curator of Historical Collections, for an illustrated talk describing these pivotal events in Irish history and their consequences.
    Admission is free but booking is required in advanced is essential bookings@museum.ie

Understanding 1916
    Saturday 26 April 12.40am – 1.10pm

Join Michael Kenny, Keeper Emeritus and curator of the exhibition Understanding 1916 in a talk to find out about the events as they took place in that historic week, Easter 1916.
    Admission is free but booking is required in advanced is essential bookings@museum.ie

Historical Re-enactment with Lord Edward's Own Re-enactment Group

Saturday 26 April 10am – 12pm
    The history and battle re-enactment group Lord Edward's Own will be practicing military drills from 1913-1916. Drop in to see the re-enactors dressed up in Irish Citizen Army and Irish Volunteers uniforms.

Clarke Square. No booking required.
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.
Working...
X