No announcement yet.

Public Symposium: Eamonn Ceannt, 1916 and the South Dublin Union' - 28 April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Symposium: Eamonn Ceannt, 1916 and the South Dublin Union' - 28 April

A public symposium titled ‘Eamonn Ceannt, 1916 and the South Dublin Union’ will be held in the Trinity Centre, St James’s Hospital on Monday 28th April.

St James's, one of the University of Dublin, Trinity College teaching hospitals, was formerly known as The South Dublin Union, a Poorhouse that also incorporated a Foundling Hospital as well as a Bedlam. On the site in 1916 extraordinary bloody fighting took place during the Easter Rising when it was commandeered by Eamonn Ceannt and the Irish Volunteers.

Prof Coakley is currently writing a book on the history of the South Dublin Union. Mary Gallagher is a grandniece of Ceannt and author of an upcoming book Ceannt for O'Brien Press (16 Lives Series). Paul O'Brien, has written a detailed account of the fighting in Uncommon Valour (Mercier Press).

Speakers:
    Davis Coakley: A History of the South Dublin Union
    Mary Gallagher: The Life and Times of Eamonn Ceannt
    Paul O’Brien: The Fighting at the South Dublin Union, 1916
    Chairman: Patrick Geoghegan (TCD) presenter of Talking History (Newstalk)

Event Details:
    Date: Monday, 28th April
    Time: 7.30pm
    Venue: Trinity Centre, St James’s Hospital

All are welcome, admission is free but numbers are limited. Please email jmcprtln@tcd.ie to book.
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.
Working...
X