Sleeping bags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping bags.

I'm looking for a new sleeping bag. The one we get iss ued is waaaaaaay to bulky for the compartment in the backpack/bergen/big thing you carry gear in. Also, you don't know the last time they were laundered and what the last mangey fecker was dojng in it.I 'd be looking for somethjng decently warm that compresses to a small enough size. Any suggestions?
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Carinthia Defence 4 is popular and has been recently adopted by our cousins(medium weight 3 season bag) or Softie 9.
    I have a Carinthia made MCSS(google it! Two bags for the price of one) and my issue Nanok "jungle bag" (which isn't).
    Another alternative is to use a light bag and supplement it with a cotton liner or better still a yank poncho liner/woobie.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
      I'm looking for a new sleeping bag. The one we get iss ued is waaaaaaay to bulky for the compartment in the backpack/bergen/big thing you carry gear in. Also, you don't know the last time they were laundered and what the last mangey fecker was dojng in it.I 'd be looking for somethjng decently warm that compresses to a small enough size. Any suggestions?
      Snugpak softie 9 for all round use, their special forces system is also worth a look and will give you summer and winter options.
      Last edited by northie; 23 April 2014, 23:26.

Comment

By light bag do you mean a 2/3 season job? That could provode a workable solution.

Comment

By light bag do you mean a 2/3 season job? That could provode a workable solution.
          The special forces is like the system that apod mentioned - its basically a system that comprises a softie 10 harrier and a softie 3 merlin that have been redesigned around a central zip system. Full details here - http://www.snugpak.com/military/mili...omplete-system its very like apods but I think its been around longer, however the overall temperature rating is lower and it isn't claimed to be waterproof.

Comment

If you have more money than sense I suggest you try this website.

http://store.enlightenedequipment.com/

I bought one of their quilts recently and there is no weight to them at all and they remain effective in cold weather.
            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

What is the official issue sleeping bag? I've seen the artic sleeping bag. Very bulky and heavy.
              Is there two options ?I seem to remember a lightweight jungle bag being mentioned.

Comment

Nonok was for some time
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Another alternative is to use a light bag and supplement it with a cotton liner or better still a yank poncho liner/woobie.
                  I go with the lighter bag and a liner for most work and play outdoor sleeping. 99% of the time its perfectly comfortable. Goretex bivvy bag, Softie bag and liner. Although I would suggest instead of cotton liner, silk or something like below are better. Less bulky to pack, warmer and dry quicker if wet. A little bit more expensive than cotton though generally.

http://www.snugpak.com/military/mili...liner-military

You can mix and match for weather no problem. Warm/hot and the liner and bivvy fine, middling use the bag & bivvy instead, cold use all three together.
                  Last edited by X-RayOne; 24 April 2014, 16:37.
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                    I go with the lighter bag and a liner for most work and play outdoor sleeping. 99% of the time its perfectly comfortable. Goretex bivvy bag, Softie bag and liner. Although I would suggest instead of cotton liner, silk or something like below are better. Less bulky to pack, warmer and dry quicker if wet. A little bit more expensive than cotton though generally.

http://www.snugpak.com/military/mili...liner-military

You can mix and match for weather no problem. Warm/hot and the liner and bivvy fine, middling use the bag & bivvy instead, cold use all three together.
                    I picked up a sleeping bag liner in Mahers in Cork city over the Christmas holidays. Think that may be it...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Jesus are the RDF still giving out sleeping systems on a temporary issue basis?? Disgraceful. You guys should be issued yere own. With some kit a temp issue can be justified but this is a H&S matter. Its 2014 FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        I picked up a sleeping bag liner in Mahers in Cork city over the Christmas holidays. Think that may be it...
                        Yep, confirmed - a Thermalon liner, in its own carry bag
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

great little piece of kit
                          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Between buying one of these two sleeping bags ahead of the fighting season. Can't decide which one to go for.

First is http://www.cadetdirect.com/snugpak-s...leeping-bag-og

second is http://www.cadetdirect.com/snugpak-s...e-sleeping-bag

The difference between the 2 is the second one is 500g heavier, packs away a little bigger, and has an extreme rating down to -12 as opposed to the first bags -7 rating. My feeling is to get the lighter smaller one and if need be, a liner, because why take up bag space when you don't need to.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Between buying one of these two sleeping bags ahead of the fighting season. Can't decide which one to go for.

First is http://www.cadetdirect.com/snugpak-s...leeping-bag-og

second is http://www.cadetdirect.com/snugpak-s...e-sleeping-bag

The difference between the 2 is the second one is 500g heavier, packs away a little bigger, and has an extreme rating down to -12 as opposed to the first bags -7 rating. My feeling is to get the lighter smaller one and if need be, a liner, because why take up bag space when you don't need to.

Any suggestions?
                              IMO just get a jungle bag for the summer, with a bivi bag, warm top and possibly a liner it'll do up till september-ish then just use the issue monstrosity in colder months.
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X