Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lower than a snakes balls Duffman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New Boots needed

Well after about 8 years with some serious abuse and mileage, my Lowa Combat GTX boots are no longer suitable for use (they're actually still waterproof! But the lip connecting the sole is coming away from the boot and rubber sole has been burnt, as well as being hideously scratched etc). The Lowas are great and I would have no problem buying a pair tomorrow. But there is no harm in shopping around (particularly if the whispers about the next boot choice are true!).

Has anyone any other recommendations? I've heard that Meindl have released a new boot similar to the Lowa Combat? Thoughts experiences?
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    can't go wrong with Altbergs.

Warrior Aqua:

RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    can't go wrong with Altbergs.

Warrior Aqua:

How do they stack against the likes of the Lowas? I like a good solid boot thats high on the ankle.

Worst thing about living over here is the fact that there is nowhere that you could go to try on a pair of boots. You've to go off website or get to protac!

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    How do they stack against the likes of the Lowas? I like a good solid boot thats high on the ankle.

Worst thing about living over here is the fact that there is nowhere that you could go to try on a pair of boots. You've to go off website or get to protac!

Army Bargains, Millets, etc
    Possibly Great Outdoors

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    How do they stack against the likes of the Lowas?...
    theres certainly no difference in quality, its just a matter of what you prefer. i personally prefer the Altbergs, they fit my feet better than Lowa's or Meindls - i've got the Warrior without the sympatex lining for pretty much most stuff, a pair of the heavier Defender (high liability) boots that i don't wear, and a rather nice pair of the Bergen Scout's for cold, wet places - think the Falklands or Scotland in winter...

i am, as you can see, a boot tart.

6. Thanks Duffman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Issue Haix are good.My only crib is the lacing system. Lowas are easier to get on and off quick.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I get older weight becomes a thing ... worth comparing a few different places. As Apod says the issue non-kev HAIX are very good .
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe lowas will be on issue to the whole army soon how soon is the question

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    As I get older weight becomes a thing ....
    then you can't go wrong with these:

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/sne...-black_police/

i find my Lowa Mountain GTX heavy and clunky compared to my Altberg Sneekers.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just found a pair of 24b's, size 10, you can have if you want! Sure why would you want anything else? Comfort is over-rated!

12. Likes The real Jack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I believe lowas will be on issue to the whole army soon how soon is the question
    That whisper has been on the wind for last year or so. I'm not holding my breath, as if and when I'll need new boots by then!

As I get older weight becomes a thing ... worth comparing a few different places. As Apod says the issue non-kev HAIX are very good .
    Not a fan of the issue Haix at all. Very clunky and the support is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Army Bargains, Millets, etc
    Possibly Great Outdoors
    Army Bargains, not a chance. No decent gear or if it is over priced. Millets is gone. Great outdoors didn't have any military boots last time I was in.

14. Likes kaiser, The real Jack liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great outdoors or something along that line in new bridge used to do meindls, protac has them too. Your only other options are hanwags or lowas from the UK. Since you've had lowas before you know the sizing and fit so they're your best bet. Lowas from a few Mins research are a bit cheaper than meindls anyway.

Edit; All seasons is the shop not sure if it's still going.
    Last edited by The real Jack; 22nd May 2014 at 13:59.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing most important to me is weight and being waterproof (oh and cost)

I tried, Magnum Symptex all leather boots, them in Army Bargains for size and comfort and then bought them directly from the manufacturer

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The thing most important to me is weight and being waterproof (oh and cost)

I tried, Magnum Symptex all leather boots, them in Army Bargains for size and comfort and then bought them directly from the manufacturer
    depends what you need them for - if its mooching about the barracks, a couple of hours on the gallery range and an 8hr patrolling exercise then something light and trainer-like is ideal, if its doing a 2 week foot patrol in the highlands of Scotland, or Sweden, or some rock strewn Saharan dump, then you're going to need something thats built for that task.

18. Likes Fridge Magnet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Non issue Haix can be bought in Bond Safety in Clones (they have a website). These ones don't have the issue boot lacing system, but otherwise are identical... Got a pair there a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Issue Haix are good.My only crib is the lacing system. Lowas are easier to get on and off quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Great outdoors or something along that line in new bridge used to do meindls, protac has them too. Your only other options are hanwags or lowas from the UK. Since you've had lowas before you know the sizing and fit so they're your best bet. Lowas from a few Mins research are a bit cheaper than meindls anyway.

Edit; All seasons is the shop not sure if it's still going.
    All Seasons closed down a good while ago. Embroidery/knitting supplies shop there now..
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

20. Likes The real Jack liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well then depending on what you plan on doing exactly, ya can't go wrong with Lowa Zephyr's.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    depends what you need them for - if its mooching about the barracks, a couple of hours on the gallery range and an 8hr patrolling exercise then something light and trainer-like is ideal, if its doing a 2 week foot patrol in the highlands of Scotland, or Sweden, or some rock strewn Saharan dump, then you're going to need something thats built for that task.
    This x a million.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the Lug walk last year in trail runners and there was a gigantic difference between that and a huge foot patrol over most of the same area in Meindl's .... would take the trail runners anyday of the week ... but as you says sometimes "you're going to need something thats built for that task."
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the Lug walk last year in trail runners and there was a gigantic difference between that and a huge foot patrol over most of the same area in Meindl's .... would take the trail runners anyday of the week ... but as you says sometimes "you're going to need something thats built for that task."
    we've got a couple of fell runners in the Battery - freaks, obviously - they do the most outrageous routes and times in trainers and the skimpiest, tiniest shorts imaginable, and boy do they bitch about having to wear boots, and, well, clothes!

we took up orienteering because of the results they got - amazing fitness tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately trail runners won't cut it as a boot for official uses. I've destroyed a pair or two of magnums, they don't stand up to much punishment. I also don't like the idea of something that doesn't provide max support. I like a lot of support in a combat boot. I've heard good things about Han Wags.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to end up buying the Lowas, you know that
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

27. Likes cooley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything I need to know sizing wise when going from meindls to lowas? €100 for resoling a 10 year old pair of meindls seems a waste when a new pair of lowas can be got for €200.

29. Likes ODIN liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meindls are narrower - for all the above about which boots are best, if a boot doesn't fit you its the worst boot in the world... i don't find the difference between the narrower Meindl last and the wider Lowa last to be a problem, its not dramatic (or, correction, its not dramatic given the width of my feet..), but if your feet are already flapping about in a Meidl, Lowa's are going to be like the Albert Hall.

if however you've got €200 burning a hole in your trousers, try Altberg - 5 width fittings, and half sizes. pretty much made to measure....

E2A: sign up to their newsletter thing and you get 7.5% off.
    Last edited by ropebag; 13th July 2014 at 21:44.

31. Likes The real Jack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    Meindls are narrower - for all the above about which boots are best, if a boot doesn't fit you its the worst boot in the world... i don't find the difference between the narrower Meindl last and the wider Lowa last to be a problem, its not dramatic (or, correction, its not dramatic given the width of my feet..), but if your feet are already flapping about in a Meidl, Lowa's are going to be like the Albert Hall.

if however you've got €200 burning a hole in your trousers, try Altberg - 5 width fittings, and half sizes. pretty much made to measure....

E2A: sign up to their newsletter thing and you get 7.5% off.
    I'm on the wider side usually and I was fine in meindls so the lowas will be grand then, found a pair in my size for £125 and I was delighted until I realised they were the D-rings only para model. Altbergs sound nice but as I wont be able to go to their factory to get fitted it's the same stab in the semi dark as going from meindls to Lowas. Lowa's will cost me about €200 anyway and it's not money burning a hole in my pocked but the issue "operational boots" I have are a kevlar toed german made in Croatia abortions.

Thread Information