New Boots needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boots needed

Well after about 8 years with some serious abuse and mileage, my Lowa Combat GTX boots are no longer suitable for use (they're actually still waterproof! But the lip connecting the sole is coming away from the boot and rubber sole has been burnt, as well as being hideously scratched etc). The Lowas are great and I would have no problem buying a pair tomorrow. But there is no harm in shopping around (particularly if the whispers about the next boot choice are true!).

Has anyone any other recommendations? I've heard that Meindl have released a new boot similar to the Lowa Combat? Thoughts experiences?
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

can't go wrong with Altbergs.

Warrior Aqua:

RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      can't go wrong with Altbergs.

Warrior Aqua:

How do they stack against the likes of the Lowas? I like a good solid boot thats high on the ankle.

Worst thing about living over here is the fact that there is nowhere that you could go to try on a pair of boots. You've to go off website or get to protac!

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
        How do they stack against the likes of the Lowas? I like a good solid boot thats high on the ankle.

Worst thing about living over here is the fact that there is nowhere that you could go to try on a pair of boots. You've to go off website or get to protac!

Army Bargains, Millets, etc
        Possibly Great Outdoors

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
          How do they stack against the likes of the Lowas?...
          theres certainly no difference in quality, its just a matter of what you prefer. i personally prefer the Altbergs, they fit my feet better than Lowa's or Meindls - i've got the Warrior without the sympatex lining for pretty much most stuff, a pair of the heavier Defender (high liability) boots that i don't wear, and a rather nice pair of the Bergen Scout's for cold, wet places - think the Falklands or Scotland in winter...

i am, as you can see, a boot tart.

Comment

Issue Haix are good.My only crib is the lacing system. Lowas are easier to get on and off quick.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

As I get older weight becomes a thing ... worth comparing a few different places. As Apod says the issue non-kev HAIX are very good .
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I believe lowas will be on issue to the whole army soon how soon is the question

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  As I get older weight becomes a thing ....
                  then you can't go wrong with these:

i find my Lowa Mountain GTX heavy and clunky compared to my Altberg Sneekers.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I just found a pair of 24b's, size 10, you can have if you want! Sure why would you want anything else? Comfort is over-rated!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                      I believe lowas will be on issue to the whole army soon how soon is the question
                      That whisper has been on the wind for last year or so. I'm not holding my breath, as if and when I'll need new boots by then!

As I get older weight becomes a thing ... worth comparing a few different places. As Apod says the issue non-kev HAIX are very good .
                      Not a fan of the issue Haix at all. Very clunky and the support is terrible.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Army Bargains, Millets, etc
                      Possibly Great Outdoors
                      Army Bargains, not a chance. No decent gear or if it is over priced. Millets is gone. Great outdoors didn't have any military boots last time I was in.

Comment

Great outdoors or something along that line in new bridge used to do meindls, protac has them too. Your only other options are hanwags or lowas from the UK. Since you've had lowas before you know the sizing and fit so they're your best bet. Lowas from a few Mins research are a bit cheaper than meindls anyway.

Edit; All seasons is the shop not sure if it's still going.
                        Last edited by The real Jack; 22 May 2014, 14:59.
                        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

The thing most important to me is weight and being waterproof (oh and cost)

I tried, Magnum Symptex all leather boots, them in Army Bargains for size and comfort and then bought them directly from the manufacturer

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            The thing most important to me is weight and being waterproof (oh and cost)

I tried, Magnum Symptex all leather boots, them in Army Bargains for size and comfort and then bought them directly from the manufacturer
                            depends what you need them for - if its mooching about the barracks, a couple of hours on the gallery range and an 8hr patrolling exercise then something light and trainer-like is ideal, if its doing a 2 week foot patrol in the highlands of Scotland, or Sweden, or some rock strewn Saharan dump, then you're going to need something thats built for that task.

Comment

Non issue Haix can be bought in Bond Safety in Clones (they have a website). These ones don't have the issue boot lacing system, but otherwise are identical... Got a pair there a few years ago

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Issue Haix are good.My only crib is the lacing system. Lowas are easier to get on and off quick.
                              Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                              Great outdoors or something along that line in new bridge used to do meindls, protac has them too. Your only other options are hanwags or lowas from the UK. Since you've had lowas before you know the sizing and fit so they're your best bet. Lowas from a few Mins research are a bit cheaper than meindls anyway.

Edit; All seasons is the shop not sure if it's still going.
                              All Seasons closed down a good while ago. Embroidery/knitting supplies shop there now..
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X