New Boots needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    As I get older weight becomes a thing ... worth comparing a few different places. As Apod says the issue non-kev HAIX are very good .
    Well then depending on what you plan on doing exactly, ya can't go wrong with Lowa Zephyr's.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      depends what you need them for - if its mooching about the barracks, a couple of hours on the gallery range and an 8hr patrolling exercise then something light and trainer-like is ideal, if its doing a 2 week foot patrol in the highlands of Scotland, or Sweden, or some rock strewn Saharan dump, then you're going to need something thats built for that task.
      This x a million.

Comment

I did the Lug walk last year in trail runners and there was a gigantic difference between that and a huge foot patrol over most of the same area in Meindl's .... would take the trail runners anyday of the week ... but as you says sometimes "you're going to need something thats built for that task."
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          I did the Lug walk last year in trail runners and there was a gigantic difference between that and a huge foot patrol over most of the same area in Meindl's .... would take the trail runners anyday of the week ... but as you says sometimes "you're going to need something thats built for that task."
          we've got a couple of fell runners in the Battery - freaks, obviously - they do the most outrageous routes and times in trainers and the skimpiest, tiniest shorts imaginable, and boy do they bitch about having to wear boots, and, well, clothes!

we took up orienteering because of the results they got - amazing fitness tool.

Comment

Unfortunately trail runners won't cut it as a boot for official uses. I've destroyed a pair or two of magnums, they don't stand up to much punishment. I also don't like the idea of something that doesn't provide max support. I like a lot of support in a combat boot. I've heard good things about Han Wags.
            "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

You're going to end up buying the Lowas, you know that
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Anything I need to know sizing wise when going from meindls to lowas? €100 for resoling a 10 year old pair of meindls seems a waste when a new pair of lowas can be got for €200.
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Meindls are narrower - for all the above about which boots are best, if a boot doesn't fit you its the worst boot in the world... i don't find the difference between the narrower Meindl last and the wider Lowa last to be a problem, its not dramatic (or, correction, its not dramatic given the width of my feet..), but if your feet are already flapping about in a Meidl, Lowa's are going to be like the Albert Hall.

if however you've got €200 burning a hole in your trousers, try Altberg - 5 width fittings, and half sizes. pretty much made to measure....

E2A: sign up to their newsletter thing and you get 7.5% off.
                  Last edited by ropebag; 13 July 2014, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                    Meindls are narrower - for all the above about which boots are best, if a boot doesn't fit you its the worst boot in the world... i don't find the difference between the narrower Meindl last and the wider Lowa last to be a problem, its not dramatic (or, correction, its not dramatic given the width of my feet..), but if your feet are already flapping about in a Meidl, Lowa's are going to be like the Albert Hall.

if however you've got €200 burning a hole in your trousers, try Altberg - 5 width fittings, and half sizes. pretty much made to measure....

E2A: sign up to their newsletter thing and you get 7.5% off.
                    I'm on the wider side usually and I was fine in meindls so the lowas will be grand then, found a pair in my size for £125 and I was delighted until I realised they were the D-rings only para model. Altbergs sound nice but as I wont be able to go to their factory to get fitted it's the same stab in the semi dark as going from meindls to Lowas. Lowa's will cost me about €200 anyway and it's not money burning a hole in my pocked but the issue "operational boots" I have are a kevlar toed german made in Croatia abortions.
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X