Pajero Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Saab we are still operating (small numbers of) Patrol 260s. There have been at least 3 tenders since. There are 2 problems:
    A) the vehicles being purchased aren't up to the job
    B) the tenders are for too few vehicles.

Cost could be a factor in this but they don't give options to extend vehicle figures or duration

Other countries have there tactiical fleet, road fleet and sometimes white fleet. They have all they need in each, they can afford it
    A) is a matter of opinion. As I pointed out biggest criticism of Pajero has been it cant seat 5 comfortably and is too low to the ground. The solution offered here was the g-wagon. Which also cannot seat 5 (as a 4x4) and is lower. Yes bigger tyres can be fitted but the same applies to the Pajero.

B) I agree but we don't have the economy of scale.

LTCVs are expected to last 15 years, HTCVs are expected to last 20 years. The tenders reflect this.
    When you are buying 2000 vehicles you can be sure that your supplier will give the latest technology as and when it comes on line.

Can we afford to have 3 fleets?
    The way barracks are being closed would we even have the space to store 3 fleets.

You can be sure the Aussies will still have a few landrovers in service in 15 years, just like our 260s.
    I thought we moved away from scrapping a serviceable vehicle just because of age?????

FMP, All I'm saying is single platform is great when you can do it. We have about 2000 vehicles all told. ADF has that and more in just the LTCV fleet. There is no comparisons.

Murphy, the point about the P4 is that it is a variant. Even with massive buying power they don't stick to the single vehicle concept.
    But I agree with the rest of you post 100%
    Last edited by Saab; 5 June 2014, 00:40.

Comment

• Joining with someone else, except maybe the Aussies, for a purchase of G-Wagens, has a problem, as most of these will be employed on island they will probably be RHD. The Germans etc. will be buying LHDs, this would most likely preclude a joint buy, or at least preclude us from getting anything like their price, I would imagine.

Having said that, is the EDA not working on a proposal for joint purchases by EU countries?

Comment

• Originally posted by ias View Post
        Joining with someone else, except maybe the Aussies, for a purchase of G-Wagens, has a problem, as most of these will be employed on island they will probably be RHD. The Germans etc. will be buying LHDs, this would most likely preclude a joint buy, or at least preclude us from getting anything like their price, I would imagine.

Having said that, is the EDA not working on a proposal for joint purchases by EU countries?
        To get a good price Sweden bought 100 g-wagons with RHD piggy backed on the Aussie order.
        This at first seems strange until you see they also buy their postal delivery vehicles, Transit and Renault mini-buses, RHD.
        I wonder are they going to use the g-wagons for the same purpose??

Comment

• we had thousands of LHD landies and trucks brought back from Germany - its a bit wierd, but you get used to it pretty quickly. if it means the difference between affording, and not affording, a through-life support programme for your kit, then you'd have to be a bit thick to pass up the offer.

Comment

• Have the 28 or 27bn recieved ford rangers yet?? I'm informed they are the vehicle coming in as the pajero replacement

Comment

• I have looked out the Sept 06 edition of An Cosantoir which has an article about CVBW (ok it is 8 years ago but if gives you a idea):

They have a staff of 106 to do 1st and 2nd line maint on the DFTC fleet and 3rd/4th line on the whole DF
              They hold 90,000 spare parts (they only keep a item on the shelf for 2 years before disguarding it)
              The DF has a fleet of around 2,100 vehicles of >160 types (not including variants)
              At the time there were 4 versions of the Nissan Patrol in service (all with completely different engines)
              All requiring different spares, servicing kits & diagnostic software)

Comment

• Its a fcuking G Wagen!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Just the job!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    Yup! Built under licence in France.
                    We travel not for trafficking alone,
                    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
                    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
                    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      I have looked out the Sept 06 edition of An Cosantoir which has an article about CVBW (ok it is 8 years ago but if gives you a idea):

They have a staff of 106 to do 1st and 2nd line maint on the DFTC fleet and 3rd/4th line on the whole DF
                      They hold 90,000 spare parts (they only keep a item on the shelf for 2 years before disguarding it)
                      The DF has a fleet of around 2,100 vehicles of >160 types (not including variants)
                      At the time there were 4 versions of the Nissan Patrol in service (all with completely different engines)
                      All requiring different spares, servicing kits & diagnostic software)
                      And therein lies the problem DeV. As you well know. Complete and utter shambles. Always will be unless each aspect of the fleet is standardised. Same bus's, same staff car's, same mini vans,,,,,,,,,,same bloody tactical fleet of light and heavy soft skin vehicles. Ain't rocket science is it, or is it? LoL

Report may be 8 years old but if anything the situation has got worse, not better. How many new makes and models introduced since then verses how many retired or to put it another way "Replaced"
                      Last edited by FMP; 6 June 2014, 07:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMP View Post
                        Yup! Built under licence in France.
                        Older model than the Canadian and Australian ones but still a G Wagon.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMP View Post
                          Older model than the Canadian and Australian ones but still a G Wagon.
                          Here's another (attached), this time built by Panhard on the same chassis/body as the Aus panel van. G Wagon!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by FMP; 6 June 2014, 07:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                            Have the 28 or 27bn recieved ford rangers yet?? I'm informed they are the vehicle coming in as the pajero replacement
                            thats a no for 27Bn anyway
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Cheers morpheus I was told they have them in dundalk my guy must be wrong.
                              He also said we are piggy backing on the public sectors purchase of rangers. Albeit compulsory piggy backing..
                              Also observation 360 from the vehicle is ment to be poor at best.

Comment

• OK well i tell you what, if there are only a handful they may not have been out in the carpark. Ill be up that way later today and will keep an eye out.
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X