X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    https://fayzwordz.files.wordpress.co...icture-068.jpg
    There are pics of Irish GRs navigating Liberian "roads" like this
    Looks just like my daily commute, in a Nissan patrol as it happens. Dry season now so dust, not mud and TZ not Liberia still fcuking Africa and still no fcuking roads .
    We travel not for trafficking alone,
    By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
    For lust of knowing what should not be known,
    We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      https://fayzwordz.files.wordpress.co...icture-068.jpg
      There are pics of Irish GRs navigating Liberian "roads" like this
      The GS/FFR fleet does spend probably >80% of the time on main roads, but it must also be capable of navigating extremes.
      DeV

Out of curiosity, did the DF have many LHD patrols and was this for the purposes of overseas deployments?

Was it necessary to buy LHD I suppose is the question I'm asking? Even if Liberia is a RHS driving country.

Ps ,,,, sorry mate, just sussed your point, "There are pictures" not actually the one pictured. Ignore above question. Thanks for the pic though, like it
      Last edited by FMP; 5 July 2015, 11:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMP View Post
        Fair point on the itchypussy and the ranger, if that's what you use them for then that's what you use them for. You could replace them with anything. Why even bother with this thread if it does not matter what you get?

But Jack the VW was not bought down the local car dealer and had a spoiler slapped on it making it a street car that looks "cool", which is why its had all the upgrades done on it.

Major work, swapping out an entire suspension system alone is a big task, so it could go all off road and shit with all the extra weight it carries, suitable rubber to boot. The antenna roof mounts and cable conduits, lovely piece of fabricating. Its attention to detail and getting it right. Let alone all the other bits and bobs that make it fit for military use.

I'm sure it was all discussed over drinks with the VW rep down the local strip club, that's the world we live it. Doesn't mean you cant get what you want or what you need, best price does not mean a compromise. It means value for money. Not that hard to achieve. Well thought out and designed with a purpose in mind.

That last sentence seems to sum up whats not done with the DF's LV fleet. Unless that purpose is no more than the flag point you made, and a bit of a runabout. In which case it does not really matter what you get. But why not strive to achieve the best you can, not the best out there because that's pie in the sky for the DF but the best you can. Why not strive to achieve common platforms, use other means for service and support on a daily basis, have vehicles with a fundamental military role. I really struggle to see what is so difficult about achieving that and why there is so much "anti" feeling towards it here.
        The Pajero serving in the Irish DF is not straight off the showroom either. It has been greatly modified for Irish Service, and not just the addition of the Bumper for the Antennae. The entire lighting system is military standard. (the Nissan's never had this). The Electrical system is designed to take whatever military radio system is in use at the time. The Patrol had an additional battery in a box, and you couldn't switch off the car, if you were using the SINGCAR. The wheels are also non-standard, replacing the standard wide alloys with narrow steel wheels. Suspension would have to be dramatically altered to accommodate this option.
        We didn't just go down to the local 4x4 dealer and ask "does it come in green?". Pretty sure the specs were posted here.
        I don't see the advantage your selection has over the three diamonds, other than it being made in Europe. And there is a thing with Antennae roof mounts.... they add greatly to the roof clearance. Ireland still has plenty of low bridges... all will fit a car or jeep. Many won't take much else. Someone said "2m height is plenty", and poured concrete.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMP View Post
          DeV

Out of curiosity, did the DF have many LHD patrols and was this for the purposes of overseas deployments?

Ps ,,,, sorry mate, just sussed your point, "There are pictures" not actually the one pictured. Ignore above question. Thanks for the pic though, like it
          LHD vehicles started being bought when SFOR/KFOR was happening. It made life easier for all, and the majority of the world still drives on the wrong side of the road. Particularly the ones with European influences.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
            The Pajero serving in the Irish DF is not straight off the showroom either. It has been greatly modified for Irish Service, and not just the addition of the Bumper for the Antennae. The entire lighting system is military standard. (the Nissan's never had this). The Electrical system is designed to take whatever military radio system is in use at the time. The Patrol had an additional battery in a box, and you couldn't switch off the car, if you were using the SINGCAR. The wheels are also non-standard, replacing the standard wide alloys with narrow steel wheels. Suspension would have to be dramatically altered to accommodate this option.
            We didn't just go down to the local 4x4 dealer and ask "does it come in green?". Pretty sure the specs were posted here.
            I don't see the advantage your selection has over the three diamonds, other than it being made in Europe. And there is a thing with Antennae roof mounts.... they add greatly to the roof clearance. Ireland still has plenty of low bridges... all will fit a car or jeep. Many won't take much else. Someone said "2m height is plenty", and poured concrete.
            It actually sounds like a really descent vehicle, thanks for the update. Finally a bit of background.

One question, why bother replacing it (title of thread)? Why not stick with it? Okay that's two questions but you see my point, if it ticks your box's why get rid (if you are, again thread title).

The point of this thread is to look at an alternative to the Pajero is it not? It reads like a "reason to keep the Pajero".

I must have fired dozens of options up on this thread over the months from full blown MOTS to COTS, all everyone keeps saying is no, shit, crap, don't need, can't afford, too big, too small, to fat, too tall,,,,,,,lets see your contenders then, because there cant be much else out there readily available in Ireland / Europe that hasn't been covered at least in passing. By "your" I mean across the forum na grohmití not yourself in particular mate, but if you have some personal favorites would love to see them too.

Really like jack nastyface Rugged Robin though . There is no golden goose.

Comment

• Nothing decent about the pajero. Useless hairdressers 4x4
              Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Originally posted by spider pig View Post
                Nothing decent about the pajero. Useless hairdressers 4x4
                Ah ha, some support at last, well done spider pig

Comment

• The Older Pajero was better.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    The Pajero serving in the Irish DF is not straight off the showroom either.The entire lighting system is military standard. (the Nissan's never had this).Not true, all Nissan Patrols purchsed from 2004 on had full military lighting
                    Suspension would have to be dramatically altered to accommodate this option.
                    Unfortunately this is not the case and we have are having a lot of problems with the rear
                    Originally posted by FMP View Post
                    It actually sounds like a really descent vehicle, thanks for the update. Finally a bit of background.

One question, why bother replacing it (title of thread)? Why not stick with it? Okay that's two questions but you see my point, if it ticks your box's why get rid (if you are, again thread title). The reason for replacement most probably has something to do with the excessive cost of maintaining the flleet. compared to the Patrols we are replacing a lot more major components, at a much younger age. I used to be a fan of Mitsubishi but 6 years of being involved in the upkeep of Pajeros has turned me completly against them. If you gave me a mitsubishi, I'd take it, but I'd sell it as soon as possible
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Possibly its down to economy of scale in that the size of the DF order may not be large enough to entice/pay a maker of a more appropriate wagon to build in the spec designated by the DF.

Comment

• what gets me is that no European country appears capable of achieving true commonality for even simple vehicles such as these.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          what gets me is that no European country appears capable of achieving true commonality for even simple vehicles such as these.
                          The G wagon is the only show in town in that regards. Most European militarys operate them.
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                            The G wagon is the only show in town in that regards. Most European militarys operate them.
                            To some degree

Comment

• Oshkosh just won JLTV contract to replace the Humvee
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• the Landy is supposed to be the epitome of commonality but militaries cant seem to refrain from gold-plating them.

Comment

Working...
                                X