Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

Thread: Map Case

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Map Case

Any recommendations on a map case to hold OS maps? Ortlieb have an A4 and an A3 model, I'm not sure if the A3 folded will fit too well inside the BV with a folded map inside it. Or should I just get laminated OS maps and skip the cases bullshit?
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    The zip pockets on your battlevest

3. Dislikes The real Jack disliked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    ...Or should I just get laminated OS maps and skip the cases bullshit?
    a scanner and a laminator?

if i have to use a large map i just use zip lock pockets - it got 25 15 inch x 20 inch for about £4 - and stuff it into my smock or body armour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grip-Seal-...item8bb659f7ea

i'm happy with them, i did have a fancy Arktis one that was about a metre square - an excellent picnic blankett it was to - but it was just massive when folded up.

5. Likes The real Jack liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    a scanner and a laminator?

I mean the waterproofed OS maps that can be bought
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Map cases are a waste of time unless you are a staff officer operating out of a vehicle.Either use a pre laminated OS map(expensive) or find a place that does "soft" lamination that will enable you to fold the map.Cut off the marginal info/legend and have them laminate it to the rear of the map.Before you laminate it highlight all the grid numbers with yellow highlighter(Do NOT!!! use red highlighter as it will be invisible under red filter light).
    forget clear contact/fablon as it is a load of c**k and despite your best effort you will always get a bubble in it or an unwanted crease (usually just over the A.O you are in )
    When Naving fold the map to the area you are operating in and use black tape to hold the fold.Place in BV zip pocket.Job jobbed.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

8. Thanks The real Jack, DeV, SwiftandSure thanked for this post
    Likes spider pig, Truck Driver, kaiser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From experience I 100% agree with apod. Operate in pretty much same way
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

10. Likes DeV liked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    I mean the waterproofed OS maps that can be bought
    expensive, and you're carrying a lot of map for a relatively small area - i just photocopy the area i need, laminate the copy, and off i go. if i'm plotting i'll use a GBFO map case, but then i've got wagons to carry all that crap around for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are around the €20-25 mark, probably cheaper than a good mapcase

They are usefully for TEWTs, Map Ex's etc and maybe for mortar / arty types

Visit Seskin School, get the free map of the Glen and laminate it

13. Thanks Fridge Magnet thanked for this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do exactly as Apod said.

15. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I work similar to Ropebag. I'll use a softcopy/photocopy of the AO from an OSI map, print it on an A4 page. On the rear side of it I'll print a satellite image of the same area (usually a screen grab from google maps or OSI, whichever is more recent), leaving a little blank space in the margins for notes / grids etc. Run it through a laminator, stick it in the zip up side pocket and Robert's your father's brother. I keep a big map(s) in the daysack.

For the more regular AOs, time permitting, I overlay a transparent map across a satellite image. Unfortunately, as mentioned in another thread, I've since lost all my pre-made maps due a back-up error. Otherwise I'd have been happy to share them.

17. Likes ropebag liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How on earth do you get all that done? Especially when moving from AO to AO? Seems like am awful lot of hassle.
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

19. Likes DeV liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    7Ps

21. Likes Bravo20 liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spider pig View Post
    How on earth do you get all that done? Especially when moving from AO to AO? Seems like am awful lot of hassle.
    I'd imagine he means he does it all pre exercise and in turn, has a collection of smaller maps of the usual Ex areas built up. Suppose it's easier to do if you're fully aware of where you'll be working from.

S&S, do you grid and scale your aerial photo's?

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done. I even posted an example a year or two ago. I had the whole Glen area mapped with satellite overlay.
    Generally we only exercise in 2 or 3 places regularly, and an A4 page covers a fair chunk of AO for a unit on foot. If we're hopping from map sheet to map sheet (which hasn't happened in my RDF experience thus far) then I'd carry all the respective maps necessary.
    I do have a map case, but it is a bit clunky by the time the map is folded and inserted.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still can't find a soft copy of it, but this is a hard copy of the imagery I mentioned. This is in my Nirex battle book, I keep a few sat images of common Trg AOs for orders, patrols and whatnot. This is the Glen, which you no doubt recognised.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the discovery series and sucessfully soft laminated the whole lot with Clear Contact without bother and they lasted me for years , in fact some one is still using them, but it took time and patience.

yes I bought the whole series, but at the time I was covering vast areas while on excercises, record being 7 counties in one three week period.

I have a Protac Map bag I popped all my nav gear into, still have it, actually good bit of kit and a clip board. For vehicle bound work it was ideal.

For small area work I just scanned the original again sealed it and if it became damaged just dumped it as required.

One exercise we had a canny officer who rigged an inverter in a nissan, mounted a latop and printer /scanner and printed the local maps as required.

We each had our own Garmin Sat Nav/GPS, personal purchase at the time , so we became quite adept at route marking etc at the time.

Way back when I actually gave a shit!
    Just visiting

26. Likes DeV, na grohmití, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I used the discovery series and sucessfully soft laminated the whole lot with Clear Contact without bother and they lasted me for years , in fact some one is still using them, but it took time and patience.

yes I bought the whole series, but at the time I was covering vast areas while on excercises, record being 7 counties in one three week period.

I have a Protac Map bag I popped all my nav gear into, still have it, actually good bit of kit and a clip board. For vehicle bound work it was ideal.

For small area work I just scanned the original again sealed it and if it became damaged just dumped it as required.

One exercise we had a canny officer who rigged an inverter in a nissan, mounted a latop and printer /scanner and printed the local maps as required.

We each had our own Garmin Sat Nav/GPS, personal purchase at the time , so we became quite adept at route marking etc at the time.

Way back when I actually gave a shit!
    Now that WAS a canny officer... Bet no one threw flour bombs into that Nissan...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

28. Likes madmark, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bet no one threw flour bombs into that Nissan.
    Nope but a few were launched from it!
    Just visiting

30. Likes Truck Driver liked this post

Thread Information