Map Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Case

Any recommendations on a map case to hold OS maps? Ortlieb have an A4 and an A3 model, I'm not sure if the A3 folded will fit too well inside the BV with a folded map inside it. Or should I just get laminated OS maps and skip the cases bullshit?
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

The zip pockets on your battlevest

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      ...Or should I just get laminated OS maps and skip the cases bullshit?
      a scanner and a laminator?

if i have to use a large map i just use zip lock pockets - it got 25 15 inch x 20 inch for about £4 - and stuff it into my smock or body armour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grip-Seal-...item8bb659f7ea

i'm happy with them, i did have a fancy Arktis one that was about a metre square - an excellent picnic blankett it was to - but it was just massive when folded up.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
        a scanner and a laminator?

I mean the waterproofed OS maps that can be bought
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Map cases are a waste of time unless you are a staff officer operating out of a vehicle.Either use a pre laminated OS map(expensive) or find a place that does "soft" lamination that will enable you to fold the map.Cut off the marginal info/legend and have them laminate it to the rear of the map.Before you laminate it highlight all the grid numbers with yellow highlighter(Do NOT!!! use red highlighter as it will be invisible under red filter light).
          forget clear contact/fablon as it is a load of c**k and despite your best effort you will always get a bubble in it or an unwanted crease (usually just over the A.O you are in )
          When Naving fold the map to the area you are operating in and use black tape to hold the fold.Place in BV zip pocket.Job jobbed.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

From experience I 100% agree with apod. Operate in pretty much same way
            Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              I mean the waterproofed OS maps that can be bought
              expensive, and you're carrying a lot of map for a relatively small area - i just photocopy the area i need, laminate the copy, and off i go. if i'm plotting i'll use a GBFO map case, but then i've got wagons to carry all that crap around for me.

Comment

They are around the €20-25 mark, probably cheaper than a good mapcase

They are usefully for TEWTs, Map Ex's etc and maybe for mortar / arty types

Visit Seskin School, get the free map of the Glen and laminate it

Comment

Do exactly as Apod said.

Comment

I work similar to Ropebag. I'll use a softcopy/photocopy of the AO from an OSI map, print it on an A4 page. On the rear side of it I'll print a satellite image of the same area (usually a screen grab from google maps or OSI, whichever is more recent), leaving a little blank space in the margins for notes / grids etc. Run it through a laminator, stick it in the zip up side pocket and Robert's your father's brother. I keep a big map(s) in the daysack.

For the more regular AOs, time permitting, I overlay a transparent map across a satellite image. Unfortunately, as mentioned in another thread, I've since lost all my pre-made maps due a back-up error. Otherwise I'd have been happy to share them.

Comment

How on earth do you get all that done? Especially when moving from AO to AO? Seems like am awful lot of hassle.
                      Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

7Ps

Comment

Originally posted by spider pig View Post
                          How on earth do you get all that done? Especially when moving from AO to AO? Seems like am awful lot of hassle.
                          I'd imagine he means he does it all pre exercise and in turn, has a collection of smaller maps of the usual Ex areas built up. Suppose it's easier to do if you're fully aware of where you'll be working from.

S&S, do you grid and scale your aerial photo's?

Comment

I have done. I even posted an example a year or two ago. I had the whole Glen area mapped with satellite overlay.
                            Generally we only exercise in 2 or 3 places regularly, and an A4 page covers a fair chunk of AO for a unit on foot. If we're hopping from map sheet to map sheet (which hasn't happened in my RDF experience thus far) then I'd carry all the respective maps necessary.
                            I do have a map case, but it is a bit clunky by the time the map is folded and inserted.

Comment

I still can't find a soft copy of it, but this is a hard copy of the imagery I mentioned. This is in my Nirex battle book, I keep a few sat images of common Trg AOs for orders, patrols and whatnot. This is the Glen, which you no doubt recognised.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X