Irish Lives in War and Revolution: Exploring Ireland's History 1912-1923

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Lives in War and Revolution: Exploring Ireland's History 1912-1923

A free, online 6-week course will start on 1 September 2014 and is accessible via FutureLearn to anyone with internet access across multiple devices – computers, mobile phones or tablets.

How do people experience war and revolution? How does political change, violence, total war, affect life in its most basic ways?

Looking at Ireland through war and revolution, this course considers these and other questions about Irish life between 1912 and 1923.

The course looks beyond the familiar names and the famous faces – the traditional histories can tell us about them. Instead, it explores how the events that shaped the nature of modern Ireland - the Great War, the Easter Rising, the Irish war of independence and civil war - were experienced by the people who lived through them or in spite of them.

Through videos, assignments and discussions, through innovative approaches, this course introduces you to the history of Ireland in one of its most tumultuous periods. Considering the choices of those who fought in all sorts of ways for all sorts of causes, looking at the continuities of everyday life, this course allows us to question our broader understanding of these years.

Looking at the intricate and complex tapestry of lives lived, often in the midst of chaos, we might begin to ask different questions of these years. Do we understand war better if we consider the motivations that took a single soldier to the front, whether that front was in Flanders or Dublin? Does our sense of the entire period change when we examine general social and cultural trends or when we investigate their effect on private lives?

To view a trailer and register on the course, please visit https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/irish-history
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Over 10,000 sign up for Trinity College Dublin’s first MOOC
    22 August 2014

Strong demand for free online course ahead of September 1 start date

Over 10,000 people have signed up for Trinity College Dublin’s first free online course which begins in just over one week.

‘Irish Lives in War and Revolution: Exploring Ireland's history 1912-1923’, Trinity’s Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), run in partnership with FutureLearn, begins on September 1.

More than half of those who have expressed interest in the’ Irish Lives’ MOOC are from outside Ireland, with strong demand in countries with an Irish Diaspora such as the UK and the US.

There is still time to register by visiting https://www.tcd.ie/OnlineEducation/free-online-course/

'
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Irish Lives in War and Revolution: Exploring Ireland's History 1912-1923

The free online course is being run again. See https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/irish-history

Here is a link to other free courses that might be of interest. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/categories/history

Comment

Working...
      X