Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A longer range rifle (isn't it) ?

Comment

Intermediate was set up when the .338 and fn spotter weapon was introduced. It also deals with different styles of shooting and more advanced shooting( from hill tops etc). Also emphasises urban sniping.
      Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
        "Elite Snipers" !?!?! What do these "Elite" guys do that "ordinary" Snipers don't ?
        As apod said, they're in 7 Inf Bn...
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The course was run by 7bn. Snipers were from everywhere

Comment

Funnily enough the intermediate course draws heavily on training our IWW lads received on the Sniper detachment commanders course in Canada!
            Intermediate course also focuses on insertion and extraction skills,pistol shooting and a lot of LFTT.It does NOT cover hostage rescue.Infantry snipers DON'T train for that as they are not tasked with it.
            I suppose within a battalion the snipers and recce soldiers "could" be described as the elite of the battalion as they have to pass a very arduous course to gain either title.But you would never hear them describe themselves as such.The only true elite are SOF. End of.
            (Reminds me of an An Cosantoir article back in 2004 where a Cav head tried to describe the Cavalry squadrons as special forces because of their medium range recce tasking!!I nearly wet myself laughing)
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Haha, what a cav twat. They must be the Irish version of RAF REGIMENT.

Comment

Pretty much apod. Although there seems to be a trend of recce raids or similar on IWW run sniping course now. I know the last instructors course carried out a recce raid of sorts with a VIP.
                Are you kiddiing me on the part where they don't refer to themselves as elite? 😜 (it's done in hushed voices)

Also the Cav is the equivalent of the RMs or paras....😏

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                  I think someone has delusions of grandeur up there.Snipers don't rescue hostages.Even SOF ones,which 7 BN aint.
                  What do you mean 7 Bn aint SOF

Comment

No such thing as a Recce raid, a raid is a raid. If it's carried out by Recce Platoon, well then it's going to involve Sniper's anyway since they're part of Recce Platoon. Something which people need to remind folks of when running both Recce and Sniper Cse's... They're two parts of one Platoon, which when used together can be a serious asset. Instead, you have people on both sides trying to protect their empires... Rant over.

Cav the same as the Paras or RM's? What great leaders of their country have the Para's or RM's gotten killed?

Comment

The article, while utter shite, paints the DF in a more positive light to Joe "knuckledragger" Blogs. Although it's bad journalism, it is good PR.

I heard that the Cav are right up there with the SAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                        No such thing as a Recce raid, a raid is a raid. If it's carried out by Recce Platoon, well then it's going to involve Sniper's anyway since they're part of Recce Platoon. Something which people need to remind folks of when running both Recce and Sniper Cse's... They're two parts of one Platoon, which when used together can be a serious asset. Instead, you have people on both sides trying to protect their empires... Rant over.

Cav the same as the Paras or RM's? What great leaders of their country have the Para's or RM's gotten killed?
                        No loss of a leader yet. but I believe they both do a good hands up.
                        Last edited by sofa; 17 June 2014, 18:16.

Comment

Wait and see. Rumour is the report shows it wasn't the cavs fault but his own.

Comment

It's always the Cav's fault. Even when they're not involved, it's still the Cav's fault.

Comment

Interesting tale of the AI92, or the L96A1.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                              X