Last AC type to be equipped with bombs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last AC type to be equipped with bombs

Anyone know when was the last time simple bombs were mounted on an AC plane? Were they used beyond the Lysander or similar era?

The Hudson I think, Tony Kerns should be able to tell you.... I have a pic somewhere of the Hudson being bombed up...
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hudson or some of the biplanes. I don't think they had bomb racks for the Hurris or Seafires. Vampires had RP mounts. Fougas the same. Marchetti pylon could carry bombs but none ever fitted or dropped. PC-9 pylons might be bomb-capable in lieu of pods.

regards
      GttC

Comment

Anson
        "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

I guess Anson is correct for types operated with bomb bays, but I was really thinking of bombs carried externally. That's why I was wondering if the Lysander would be the last one?

Comment

That depends on if any of the biplanes outlasted the Lysanders.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Definitely not the Lysander, the last two were target tugs and gone in 1947, Hurricane IIC and Spitfire Tr9 carried bombs but cannot confirm how often, possibly only once or twice. Provost and Vampire had provision for bombs but I do not believe that bombs were in the Air Corps inventory by that time. So I put my money on the Spitfire.
              Regards
              Tony K

Comment

Article from today about the NZAF - worth bearing in mind if the Air Corps ever strap Mk 82's to the PC-9's

The bangs had city-dwellers confused, with a flurry of calls and emails to newsrooms across the city.

It later emerged the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF), conducting explosives training, was the source of the thunderclaps.

That the sound of the bombs going off travelled up to 70 kilometres surprised even the air force, which was today on mission damage control, to assure nervous residents the exercise is routine and is carried out safely.
                Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Comment

we'd have to have a bombing range first....the Fougas and Marchettis were rated for 50 kilo bombs.

regards
                  GttC

Comment

Working...
                  X