Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Queen’s Guard at Buckingham Palace... in French !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen’s Guard at Buckingham Palace... in French !!

Words of command will be balked in French at Buckingham Palace, St. James’ Palace and the Tower of London on 14, 16 and 18 July.

Legendary Van Doos given royal honour in London this summer

LONDON - It promises to be the best free show in town. Canadians most welcome.

If you cross the Atlantic to London this summer be prepared for a big surprise.

Soldiers of the Quebec-based Royal 22nd Regiment will be forming the Queen’s Guard at Buckingham Palace, St. James’ Palace and the Tower of London on 14, 16 and 18 July.

This very Royal salute honours the regiment’s centenary and all those who have served it at home and abroad in two world wars plus subsequent actions in places as far apart as Korea and East Timor, Afghanistan and Bosnia.

The ceremonial duty recalls the time the Van Doos were initially called on to protect some of the most admired sovereign real estate in the capital.

Elements of the regiment provided the King’s Guard outside Buckingham Palace and St. James from April 12-21, 1940, the first of the three current Canadian Regular Force infantry units to do so.

No other non-British regiment had ever been given the job of guarding British royalty and six Van Doos officers and 80 enlisted men performed their duty as Europe descended into total war.

In the dark days of 1940, tourism was unknown. None could have anticipated that the London Blitz was only months away and due to start on Sept. 7. The men did their job with little fanfare but much appreciation before heading off to fight.

Not this time, though.

Next month the Canadians will be watched by tens of thousands of international tourists who traditionally flock to London at the height of the tourist season.

VisitBritain pegs the visitor numbers from Canada to the U.K. in 2013 at close to 750,000 with that number to be exceeded again in 2014.

High Commissioner for Canada to the United Kingdom, Gordon Campbell, welcomes the opportunity of seeing the Van Doos on such a grand stage.

“The Royal 22e Régiment represent the very best of Canada and it is an honour to welcome them to London as they prepare to Mount the Guard for Her Majesty,” Campbell said.

“Forged at a key moment in our nation’s history, the regiment was founded 100 years ago to fight tyranny in Europe alongside our Allies here in United Kingdom.

“As we prepare for a period of time spent remembering the sacrifices of so many young men who died in defence of our freedoms, the centenary of the Royal 22e Régiment is at times bittersweet.

“This recognition of their valour and unique place in our nation’s history is a true privilege and we are delighted that visitors to London this summer will be able to enjoy this world-class display of Canada’s Armed Forces.

“The Van Doos are a source of Canadian pride and in taking on this esteemed role here in the United Kingdom, they serve as a valuable reminder of the close ties between our two countries.”
    (more at link)

"On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Nice honour for the lads Jungle. What uniform will they be wearing?
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      Nice honour for the lads Jungle. What uniform will they be wearing?
      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

I presume the term Van Doos is similar to our "Tá sé"s
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
          I presume the term Van Doos is similar to our "Tá sé"s
          Actually, the term is derived from the French number 22 (vingt-deux). The Anglos have a hard time pronouncing it, and it turns into van-doo.

Never give up!!"

Comment

i might just pop into London and see them Jungle.

i've been running some ranges and working with the Canadian Army (among others) for the past few weeks actually - and they stole most of our silverware on the shooting competitions this year!

are these Van Doo's purely ceremonial or are they like our Guards battalions who rotate through regular Grunt stuff and Ceremonials?
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              i might just pop into London and see them Jungle.
              Cool !! Let me know if you do.

i've been running some ranges and working with the Canadian Army (among others) for the past few weeks actually - and they stole most of our silverware on the shooting competitions this year!
              Good to hear !!

are these Van Doo's purely ceremonial or are they like our Guards battalions who rotate through regular Grunt stuff and Ceremonials?
              The only unit in the Regt that is purely ceremonial in the Band; they are professional musicians. Everybody else is an Infantryman. Here's some info on the Regiment:

R22eR

Like you guys, when we join (the Infantry) we are assigned a regimental affiliation. As long as we are in the Infantry trade, we keep that regimental affiliation. Even though I served in a number of other units throughout my career, I have been affiliated to the R22eR the entire time.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Working...
              X