No announcement yet.

15 th Anniversary of Tramore tragedy .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 th Anniversary of Tramore tragedy .

A ceromony took place on the prom in Tramore yesterday eve at 7 pm , to pay respect to the crew of IAC 248 Dauphin who lost their lives in the service of the State .

There was a large attendance of Coast Guard , RNLI, Fire service , Ambulance service and civil defence , along with members of the public , relatives and friends .

One officer and his driver from the Air Corps attended ,

It certainly puts in perspective the many debates on this forum concerning the AC and the Coast Guard .

A poignent moment was a minutes silence 4 the 4 brave souls that were lost .

Originally posted by wexs2 View Post

One officer and his driver from the Air Corps attended
    Says a lot

Comment

Thought at the time of the anniversary it would have got a mention here or on the IAC FB page. Quite a few at the ceremony from the IRCG would have been close friends of the crew and ex members of the IAC.
      I believe a 92 made an appearance too, on the day.
      Last edited by Helihead; 22 July 2014, 09:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Helihead View Post
        Thought at the time of the anniversary it would have got a mention here or on the IAC FB page. Quite a few at the ceremony from the IRCG would have been close friends of the crew and ex members of the IAC.
        I believe a 92 made an appearance too, on the day.

I was following it on a FB book page, it was well supported from the various agencies in the area.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
          Says a lot
          Says a lot about what?

Comment

These guys lost their lives while serving their country. The members of the community in which they served will never forget them. Their colleagues, friends and family will never forget them. The organization that had them there that fateful night can only muster one officer and a driver? Poor show, they could do better, they owe them that at least.

Comment

The fact is, 15 years on, most of these men's colleagues at the time are no longer serving. Those that were took part in ceremonies in Baldonnel, it being a working day, and there being no Air Corps base in Waterford.
              Indeed the people of Tramore seem to taking very little, if any care of the Monument on the seafront, although I believe every year the crew of the Current SAR heli place a wreath at the scene of the crash.

But does the sad fact remain, many of the procedures that indirectly led to the tragedy at Tramore, are still in place, and this does not sit well with some in uniform?
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                These guys lost their lives while serving their country. The members of the community in which they served will never forget them. Their colleagues, friends and family will never forget them. The organization that had them there that fateful night can only muster one officer and a driver? Poor show, they could do better, they owe them that at least.
                Crass, insensitive but not altogether surprising comment. The Air Corps were represented by the General Officer Commanding rather than "one officer and a driver" that you picked up from the post starter. Nothing unusual about that and appropriate for non ceremonial type event. By being there the GOC represents all the AC and just because members of the AC weren't there in numbers certainly does not mean they weren't tuned in or following it elsewhere.
                Last edited by Pure Hover; 23 July 2014, 09:21.

Comment

The GOC being there does change the slant of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    The fact is, 15 years on, most of these men's colleagues at the time are no longer serving. Those that were took part in ceremonies in Baldonnel, it being a working day, and there being no Air Corps base in Waterford.
                    Indeed the people of Tramore seem to taking very little, if any care of the Monument on the seafront, although I believe every year the crew of the Current SAR heli place a wreath at the scene of the crash.

But does the sad fact remain, many of the procedures that indirectly led to the tragedy at Tramore, are still in place, and this does not sit well with some in uniform?
                    Yes, I did notice this when last in Tramore a year or two ago
                    In fact it was the unusual design of the monument (seen from a distance in the car parking area) which
                    prompted me to wlk up and check what it was in the first place
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Couple of things here in that the monument on the prom is shit and not fitting.

It was taken down and refurbished. Its construction from metal on a sea front doesn't lend itself to easy care.

It is totally in appropriate and reflects the times in which it was constructed as opposed to the men who died.

However, there is a more suitable , fitting memorial on the spot where the accident happened in the Sandhills about two miles from the promenade and it is the one where heli crews and family visit pay fitting tribute as opposed to the abortion on the promenade.

Take a walk down some time certainly a different feel to this area as opposed to the one on the promenade.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The mens names are included in the main RNLI memorial at its HQ.

Comment

The GOC being there does change the slant of the article.
                          So the GOC being there makes a difference does it.
                          How about the GOC Air Corps arriving two days after the tragedy into a hanger in Baldonnel containing the 4 bodies of my colleagues, apparently pissed out of his head from 4th July celebrations in the US embassy and proceeded to welcome everybody to 'this occasion' followed by the gratuitous welcoming of all Government members present but NOT ONE of the families of our lost comrades.

And you want me to believe that the GOC Air Corps, past or present, should in some way change peoples attitudes to how the IAC view the Tramore tragedy. Bullshit.

Comment

There is no excuse for anyone behaving in such an atrocious way, to say I'm shocked is an understatement.
                            When I first read the article I pictured some second leftie detailed down to Tramore to fly the flag. To then find out it was the GOC changed the slant of the article (or my impression of it)

Comment

There have been three GOCs of the Air Corps since that individual was in command. I too was there that day and I am not disputing what you say happened. I think that accusing the current GOC (who did attend on behalf of the AC) of some sort of guilt by association with the appointment is grossly unfair.
                              Last edited by Tenet; 7 August 2014, 23:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X