X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces can play role in recovery, says Coveney

Defence Forces can play role in recovery, says Coveney

State can benefit from job creation and testing advanced technologies

Minister for Defence Simon Coveney says the Defence Forces can contribute to economic recovery and should not be seen as purely a cost to the State.

Mr Coveney, who was given responsibility for Defence as well as Agriculture in the recent reshuffle, said the Defence Forces should be used as a “test bed” for the development of innovation, technology and new design.

“Instead of seeing the Defence Forces – Army, Air Corps and Naval Service – as purely a cost for the State and a user of funds, I actually think we should turn that around,” he said. “Yes, it’s something we need to invest in but it’s also an infrastructure that can deliver back for the State in terms of job creation, in terms of providing an infrastructure for testing new technologies, new innovations.”

Drone technology and cyber security would be among the areas he would like to see developed. He will bring forward a White Paper on defence setting out Ireland’s policy for the next decade.

“We are going to look at what some people might regard as controversial issues around the relationship between the Coast Guard and the Naval Service and the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority. Can we achieve a better partnership here . . . Should we be looking at mergers?”

Mr Coveney admitted he was “a little surprised” when Taoiseach Enda Kenny asked him to take on responsibility for Defence. He said he had been hoping to hold on to his Agriculture brief but had told Mr Kenny he was also looking for new challenges and responsibilities.

The ongoing situation in Gaza was described as “just heartbreaking” by Mr Coveney. He added: “I know Israel/Palestine at the moment is an extraordinary human tragedy, but if you look at the number of people that have been killed in Syria in the last week it is a much, much higher figure”.

Mr Coveney said he would like to visit Irish peacekeeping troops in the Golan Heights as soon as possible. “There’s a huge respect for Irish peacekeepers in that part of the world.”

Mr Coveney said the Defence Forces could become an example for the rest of the world in terms of being well trained and motivated. “I think the Defence Forces are up for this . . . improvement.”

The Minister said he would like to invest more in international conflict management and peacekeeping training in the Curragh Camp. “One of the advantages of neutrality is that you can provide a platform for international training in an area where you have built a lot of credibility,” he said.

“We are going to look at what some people might regard as controversial issues around the relationship between the Coast Guard and the Naval Service and the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority. Can we achieve a better partnership here . . . Should we be looking at mergers?”
    They should designate the Naval Service the Navy and keep it separate to the Coast Guard and Fisheries. Its a joke for a country surrounded by water not to have a Navy.

Comment

Did you submit this opinion to the Green Paper?
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by andy View Post
        They should designate the Naval Service the Navy and keep it separate to the Coast Guard and Fisheries. Its a joke for a country surrounded by water not to have a Navy.
        I don't know way you'd want to change the name of the Naval Service, what difference would it make to the service? It would be like renaming the Air Corps the 'Air Force'.

Every nation has their own military traditions, heritage, and ways of naming their forces, units, bases, barracks, ships, ranks etc. Ireland, the Naval Service and the Defence Forces as a whole has its own traditional naming system, its something we should be proud of and not want to destroy. Unfortunately the naming tradition of Naval ships was single-handedly eroded by a former MfD but hopefully it will return with future ships.

Belgium call their naval service the 'Naval Component', formerly the 'Naval Force', in Canada it was formerly the 'Maritime Command', in Cyprus its the 'Naval Command', Japan the 'Maritime Self-Defense Force' and Malta the 'Maritime Squadron'.
        Last edited by Rhodes; 26 July 2014, 14:51. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
          ... in Canada it was formerly the 'Maritime Command', ...
          Yes, but that name was not part of our Military tradition, and the Sailors always referred to their component as the Navy, just like Mobile Command (later the Land Force) referred to itself as the Army. We have now returned to the proper traditional names: the Canadian Army, the Royal Canadian Navy, and the Royal Canadian Air Force.
          "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Did you submit this opinion to the Green Paper?
            No I did not but someone probably did.

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
            I don't know way you'd want to change the name of the Naval Service, what difference would it make to the service? It would be like renaming the Air Corps the 'Air Force'.
            Well I certainly wouldn't want it made it into a coast guard. Changing the name to Navy should also indicate the important role it has to play for the Defence Forces & Ireland and investment in ships to match.

Comment

Would it not make more sense for the Navy to take on the tasking of the Coast Guard. It what they do already any way. Under one single command structure.

Comment

So what Coveney really said was "I can play a role in [the] recovery"
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jack08 View Post
                  Would it not make more sense for the Navy to take on the tasking of the Coast Guard. It what they do already any way. Under one single command structure.
                  yes it would make sense. But I'd imagine a massive kick from IRCG who have been very pro-active and determined in building their own little empire.

Whatever about the possibilities of integrating SAR and Command and Control assets, would the Naval Service want to take on the myriad of cliff rescue teams, volunteer bases and that infrastructure. Would all that merge successfully or would its effect dilute military aspect of the NS?
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Maybe the NS should take over the SFPA ?

They act on their behalf anyway

Comment

The rescue roles that the IRCG have developed and prioritised to a previously unseen level should remain theirs. However, should the IRCG decide to go the big step into the world of Emergency Towing Vessel(s), then with a history of 365/24 availability that the NS maintain, along with the logistical support they have developed, The Tugs should be NS assets, with an SLA in place with the Coast Guard. This country is not big enough to have as many navies as it currently has. It would make more sense to put any non profit making seagoing assets under the management of the NS.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Maybe the NS should take over the SFPA ?

They act on their behalf anyway
                        Would make no sense from a management point of view. They only act in an enforcement capacity at sea. SFPA have a lot of land based enforcement officers who spend their days knocking on restaurant back doors and counting stock in fish markets. This is no place for military personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          So what Coveney really said was "I can play a role in [the] recovery"
                          No, he said what the NS has been shouting for years, but as this is an army biased forum, you would probably not have seen that thread.

Comment

I have to admit that the only understanding i have of the Naval Service and Coast Guard, are what I read here, and see in the News Papers, so forgive my ignorance. But it does seem to me that the Naval Service carry's most of its work with in the 200 mile limit. However this being Ireland, Even if the proposal of combining the two would just lead to 2 structures in one.With many double functions etc.

Comment

So how can the army contribute to the economy?

UNTSI has a tiny fulltime staff with most instructors being attached (this is probably a good thing as they have a wider pool of experience to call on).

UNTSI already works with a number of Irish universaties on their courses.

But what role for the rest of the DF apart from training?

Comment

Working...
                              X