No announcement yet.

jadotVille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is it,its not as if the force at Jaydo were the first ever Irish unit to be defeated by a colonial force.Strikes me as if the lessons of Dien Bien Phu hadnt made it onto the thinking of the general staff concerned.At least the FN and the Fords proved their worth.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
      Their performance was extraordinary considering that the Army as a whole had no combat experience worth the name, not having fought in 40 years. Anyone who considered their performance a shameful was an idiot, considering how unprepared the Army was for the Congo. They were all heroes.
      There performance was excellent, and at best can be considered a draw, rather then a defeat, apparently it is still refereed to in the united states military academy for the improvisation used there during the defence..
      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Comdt Quinlan should have been decorated as should a certain amount of the troops of A Company,I spoke to one of the veteran's and he told me the Leadership of Quinlan and the Senior NCO's saved all their lives and left with only four wounded.
        Its still no to late to honour the Comdt's leadership postumesly ,my God this Country need some heroes in our history if this was USA he would have received the Medal of Honour.

Comment

Newly published book on the Irish involvement in the Congo

Looks like a final nail in the coffin of the Cruisers reputation although the Irish Government of the time doesn't come out of it smelling of roses either.

45 sheets of folding stuff !!! Get yer local library to order a copy methinks.

Comment

i read the review, and the word that lept to mind was UNDOF...

Comment

Taking the piss with the price tag!

Normally I would buy, in this case I'll wait until it ends up in a local charity shop.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                Newly published book on the Irish involvement in the Congo

Looks like a final nail in the coffin of the Cruisers reputation although the Irish Government of the time doesn't come out of it smelling of roses either.

45 sheets of folding stuff !!! Get yer local library to order a copy methinks.
                CCOB had a completely overinflated belief in his own ability. A nasty excuse for a man. Not alone was he terrible with regard to ONUC, he was a useless minister for communication (or whatever it was called then), useless as a newspaper man and his take on politics was shown to be completely arrse over head.

At different stages in his career, he hated probably all the people/nationalities he came across, but it seems he hated his own the most.

Comment

Netflix acquired Jamie Dornan's Jadotville at the Berlin Film Festival, it was announced Monday.

The war thriller, co-starring Guillaume Canet will go into production in April and is set to premiere on the streaming service in 2016.

Comment

PICS: First look at Jamie Dornan in 'The Siege of Jadotville'

As we reported earlier today, Jamie Dornan will be back on our TV screens soon thanks to his new role Netflix's new movie The Siege of Jadotville.

The film centres on the true experience of the Irish troops in the Congo during the 60s. Dornan's character, Pat Quinlan, was commander of a group of UN peacekeepers who found themselves in dodgy territory and unwelcome parts in the year of 61.

Now we have the first images of Dornan in action as well as co-stars Mark Strong and Michael McElhatton(AKA Roose Bolton, boo! hiss!)

Aside from Dornan and McElhatton there is a whole host of Irish talent in the film with Sam Keely, Ronan Rafferty and Jason O'Mara rounding out the cast.
                    As we reported earlier today, Jamie Dornan will be back on our TV screens soon thanks to his new role Netflix's new movie The Siege of Jadotville.The film cent...

Comment

Due for release on netflix of July 9th I'm led to believe.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

What , no Brenda Fricker ,
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Great news, it's about time not only for recognition but also this type of award.

We are delighted to announce that Minister of State at Defence, Paul Kehoe has authorised the creation of the award of Presidential Unit Citation for the men of A Company who fought at Jadotville. This is a form of military honour awarded to a military unit rather than an individual who acquits themselves in combat against greater odds by demonstrating valour and pruofessionalism of a high order and providing service well beyond the call of duty. Minister Kehoe is to be commended for his compassion and good sense in handling of this matter. Also, Kevin 'Boxer' Moran TD has given assistance of a high order in his tenacity in putting forth the case before the Minister. Leo Quinlan, son of Comdt Pat Quinlan and John Gorman of the Jadotville veteran's assoc have been unstinting in their support and action in making this unprecedented and unique military honour come about. This will mark a new chapter in Defence Forces history as there has never been such an award before in the history of the state.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

From the siege of Jadotivelle FB page.
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I have always considered such an award something that the defence forces here lacked. Delighted that someone has seen fit to create one.
                              Perhaps it will move away from a commanding officer of a unit getting decorated for the actions of his unit. When said person retires, the award goes with him, though many of the unit involved in the action remain.

The film should be appearing on Netflix shortly I understand.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I looked today - it's not out yet.

"The Siege of Jadotville" on Netflix
                                Last edited by Flamingo; 9 July 2016, 20:19.
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X